Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD residency rules in UK

• 08-11-2012 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

*Apologies to mods for double posting in two forums but want this seen by as many as possible.

Hi guys, I'm looking at doing a PhD next year in the UK and am wondering how strict the residency requirements are for Research Council funding. I'm currently living in the UK but will only have been here for 1 year, not the 3 years they seem to ask for as regards the living stipend. Is there any way around this or will I be stuck with a fees only award (presuming I even get that) which would make it financially a non runner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

*Apologies to mods for double posting in two forums but want this seen by as many as possible.

Hi guys, I'm looking at doing a PhD next year in the UK and am wondering how strict the residency requirements are for Research Council funding. I'm currently living in the UK but will only have been here for 1 year, not the 3 years they seem to ask for as regards the living stipend. Is there any way around this or will I be stuck with a fees only award (presuming I even get that) which would make it financially a non runner?

Fairly strict I'm afraid :( If you don't have proof of having been in education (e.g. having done your undergrad degree in the UK) then I think they can ask for proof of your having been here for the required three years. I was in the same position as you because I had been living in the UK for one year when I applied for my PhD, and while I was lucky enough to get an award (from the AHRC) it is a fees-only award. Some universities, if they have the resources, will try & 'top up' the award to give you a maintenance stipend, but some won't, so you just have to ask. At my current university I'm currently on three different scholarships (:eek:) that together pay my maintenance, while the AHRC covers my fees. But I'm lucky enough to be at a well-resourced university which can afford to do that, I think a lot of EU students are just left stuck :(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

gutenberg wrote: »
    Fairly strict I'm afraid :( If you don't have proof of having been in education (e.g. having done your undergrad degree in the UK) then I think they can ask for proof of your having been here for the required three years. I was in the same position as you because I had been living in the UK for one year when I applied for my PhD, and while I was lucky enough to get an award (from the AHRC) it is a fees-only award. Some universities, if they have the resources, will try & 'top up' the award to give you a maintenance stipend, but some won't, so you just have to ask. At my current university I'm currently on three different scholarships (:eek:) that together pay my maintenance, while the AHRC covers my fees. But I'm lucky enough to be at a well-resourced university which can afford to do that, I think a lot of EU students are just left stuck :(:mad:

Oh :( There's a chance my university I'm currently doing my Masters at might be able to fund my stipend but I reckon it's quite unlikely from talking to the PhD's (all UK citizens) and lecturers unless I win one of the central university awards. I guess it's back to Ireland if that doesn't work out so :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Oh :( There's a chance my university I'm currently doing my Masters at might be able to fund my stipend but I reckon it's quite unlikely from talking to the PhD's (all UK citizens) and lecturers unless I win one of the central university awards. I guess it's back to Ireland if that doesn't work out so :(:(:(

It absolutely sucks, I know. Plus, inspired by your question, I went & read the AHRC's guidelines for residency, and apparently if you're an EU student then it doesn't count if you've been in the UK for three years of education :eek: You need to be 'ordinarily resident', as in working or something, rather than just in education. Which makes it even tougher. It's even more annoying when you realise that in Ireland, the likes of IRCHSS awards are open to all EU nationals even if they haven't been resident in Ireland, IIRC: they just have to have been resident in the EU :mad: They're the full awards as well, fees+maintenance.

As regards the stipends, my university makes a conscious effort to provide a stipend from somewhere if you've secured a RC award, since they're like the Holy Grail of postgrad awards (particularly in the arts/humanities), so you may have a chance with the university's central awards, as it'll only be a partial award for them too. It is my opinion that a lot of universities are rather unwilling to give out fees-only awards, as it means they'll be under pressure to provide the stipend, or that there's still a good chance that the student won't take up their award seeing as it's not full funding. Vicious circle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

gutenberg wrote: »
    It absolutely sucks, I know. Plus, inspired by your question, I went & read the AHRC's guidelines for residency, and apparently if you're an EU student then it doesn't count if you've been in the UK for three years of education :eek: You need to be 'ordinarily resident', as in working or something, rather than just in education. Which makes it even tougher. It's even more annoying when you realise that in Ireland, the likes of IRCHSS awards are open to all EU nationals even if they haven't been resident in Ireland, IIRC: they just have to have been resident in the EU :mad: They're the full awards as well, fees+maintenance.

As regards the stipends, my university makes a conscious effort to provide a stipend from somewhere if you've secured a RC award, since they're like the Holy Grail of postgrad awards (particularly in the arts/humanities), so you may have a chance with the university's central awards, as it'll only be a partial award for them too. It is my opinion that a lot of universities are rather unwilling to give out fees-only awards, as it means they'll be under pressure to provide the stipend, or that there's still a good chance that the student won't take up their award seeing as it's not full funding. Vicious circle...

Ah cheers for the advice, even getting a fees only award would be a massive coup. There's a chance my department might be able to get some funding themselves rather than centrally so maybe that will be my best hope. We'll see sure!

Advertisement