Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice for new cans

Options
  • 08-11-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I am new here.
    I just received some vouchers and was looking to buy a good pair of headphones.
    The likes of AKG, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic to name a few.

I prefer circumaural cans and mostly I would use them for music. I need them to be noise isolating and closed back.
    I have heard that the K550s don't have a good clamping force for some people.

I need some shops that sell brands like Beyerdynamic, Klipsch, AKG, Ultrasone, Sennheiser, Logitech, V-MODA, Denon, Grado, Shure etc.

My favs are The AKG K550, the Ultrasone Pro 900, the Denon AH-D400 and D600, the Sennheiser Momentum, the Soundmagic HP100s, the V-MODA M100s (I know they are not out yet).

I can go anywhere around Dublin provided they have some of the models listed above.
    I can also go outside Dublin provided it's not like 100km distant. Still suggest if they shops are anyway but tell me where they are and how far they are from Dublin.

I hope you can help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I don't think anywhere in Dublin will have a selection like that I'm afraid, most people will buy online from Amazon.

http://xmusic.ie/DJ-Headphones-p-1-c-828.html , http://www.djbox.ie/dj-equipment/headphones/ and http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v3.cgi?view_category=1&id=27752&sid=10 are probably your best for headphones in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tino96

Anywhere in Ireland?

Anyway I wasn't looking for that range, I was looking for a shop that will have ANY of the HP models in my list of favourites.

I've never seen anywhere else really I'm afraid, when I bought my Ultrasone's I had to get them from Amazon.com due to lack of selection and high costs over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

You're not likely to be able to try many of those headphones you listed OP unless you go abroad and turn up at a meeting of Head-fiers. HMV, Arnotts, Harvey Norman will have overpriced Beats, entry level Sennheisers and middling Sonys; to try in usually loud areas so you're not going to be able to get a fair approximation of what you're listening to. Richer sounds might have some grados maybe ask them in their forum. The best you can do is read up as many reviews from as many different sources and try educate yourself about your prospective purchases.

Whenever I've gotten new IEMs or headphones there's an adjusting period where you're getting to know it first hand, sometimes only a brief listen will tell you if you'll like them but other times you'll need a good few hours to be up to speed. All those prospective headphones are pretty expensive so I'd be ultra-cautious and do as much reading as possible. My advice would be to make a smaller step and look at a lower budget say sub €100/150 so if you end up not liking your purchase you'll be able to (hopefully) move it on easier than something costing 3 or 4 times the price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

tino, what music do you listen to? is there a style of sound you prefer? what's going to be powering your cans?

Can you use the vouchers you got to buy a prepaid visa so that you can order online?

• Advertisement

I listen to pop, rock, hip hop, rap, techno, etc.

I don't know about the vouchers but they are from AnPost and are valid in a huge number of shops all over Ireland.
    Maybe I can buy a prepaid Visa, I don't exactly know what it is but if I buy it with a hundred euro worth of vouchers will I get a Visa with a hundred euro spending money?

The only headphones I have ever listened to are Beats Pro and Studio, but obviously they are not as good as AKG K550 or Denon AH-D2000 (which are also considered as favorites).

Do you guys have any experience on the headphones models listed in the OP favourites list?
    For example also will Denon AH-D2000 have a good clamping force on the head and won't fall off? How good is noise isolation?
    What about the other models?

No other answers?

Looks like you can convert an all4one card to a Visa card with a small fee on their site http://www.one4all.ie/virtualcard/step1.aspx and you could use it on Amazon then.

I have a pair fo Ultrasone 900s, isolation is ok, but they would fall off if you were to bend over while wearing them.

For the music you've listed and the need for good isolation and clampforce, it might be worth considering the Sennheiser HD25's, should be able to find somewhere to try those out in town.

I tried the HD25's before and I was very disappointed by the quality of build.
    I am going for the AKG, Denon and Ultrasone mainly because of that.
    Are the Ultrasone Pro 900 better than the Beats Pro in terms of isolation and sound quality? And what about compared to the Denon ah D400 and AKG K550, do you know?

Thanks for the help.

I haven't tried Beats Pro's in a long time, but I remember I was very disappointed in what I heard, it affirmed my purchase of the 900s.
    I'm finding the bass a bit fatiguing on the 900s at the moment, but they're the best closed backs you can get before going into crazy money.

• Advertisement

But surely they aren't available in Ireland...

Thanks for the help.

Amazon and that Visa virtual card are your best bet, Ireland just doesn't sell decent headphones.

PPC wrote: »
    Amazon and that Visa virtual card are your best bet, Ireland just doesn't sell decent headphones.

About that Visa, do you know if it can be furtherly topped up, like through PayPal or something, so I can buy something more expensive?

You could buy another one4all card with PayPal and top it up that way, I don't think you can put cash on it straight.

PPC wrote: »
    You could buy another one4all card with PayPal and top it up that way, I don't think you can put cash on it straight.

Oh, then do you think it is possible to top up PayPal with the Visa Virtual card?

That should be possible, should be no problem with adding it to your PayPal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

tino96 wrote: »
    I tried the HD25's before and I was very disappointed by the quality of build.

They may feel light but they are fantastically built. They are extremely durable and practically every part of them is replaceable seperately.

Build quality would be way down the list on any issues I may find with the HD25s(1 II)

Advertisement