Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre rollout in Tralee

Options
  • 08-11-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am wondering which type of fibre broadband are we getting (FTTH or FTTC) in Tralee. I had seen Eircom engineers setting up fibre cables around Tralee and in our estate. I hope we are getting faster broadband in Tralee. :) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yes.....
    2075901-tumbleweed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

I am wondering which type of fibre broadband are we getting (FTTH or FTTC) in Tralee. I had seen Eircom engineers setting up fibre cables around Tralee and in our estate. I hope we are getting faster broadband in Tralee. :) Thanks.
    Tralee is on the Phase 3 of the Fibre Rollout: http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Locations_for_Phase_III_Fibre_Rollout/

I just wanted to know what type of fibre connection in Tralee (FTTH up to 150Mbps or FTTC cabinet up to 50Mbps). I hope the eircom fibre service will be launched by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Fibre to cabinet, if we're lucky.
    What amazes me is that they dump 2,000 workers and announce that they are going to provide a better service.
    What were those 2,000 people doing, not to mention all the others that have been left go before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

ainiseoir wrote: »
    What were those 2,000 people doing, not to mention all the others that have been left go before?
    They were involved in the day to day running of the old pals club. Normal enough in any government run enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I am on a 3MB eircom connection, how can I tell if my phone line is capable of faster speeds? I live in the countryside and started my broadband package sometime in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Backfire wrote: »
    I am on a 3MB eircom connection, how can I tell if my phone line is capable of faster speeds? I live in the countryside and started my broadband package sometime in 2009.

Put your number into the line checker on the left hand side http://www.homevision.ie/ that'll tell you the speed your line can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Deank wrote: »
    Put your number into the line checker on the left hand side http://www.homevision.ie/ that'll tell you the speed your line can handle.

thanks for that. Just checked it, yeah can't get any faster...:(

Still i suppose what I have is still better than dial-up :rolleyes:

Fibre to cabinet, if we're lucky.
    Ok, I thought it was FTTH. It will use FTTC for the fibre rollout in Tralee. FTTH is better than FTTC. Since we can't get UPC broadband in Tralee, the Eircom FTTC seems to be fine.

Just an update on this for those of you who have seen the badly parked vans rolling out the cable.
    I had a chat with a lad from eircom and he said this will be fibre to the cabinet and copper to the house, in European countries that have this faults happened more frequently on the lines, but the speeds were still comparable to FTTH. Some parts of Tralee are now 24 meg capable but not my own yet :mad:

• Advertisement

24 megs in Tralee! Must be in an apartment over the exchange!
    Does that mean that where they have completed their installation the FTTC the new speed is available?
    My impression was that other than a few pilot areas all the rest have to wait for the big national switch on next year regardless?

24 megs in Tralee! Must be in an apartment over the exchange!
    Does that mean that where they have completed their installation the FTTC the new speed is available?
    My impression was that other than a few pilot areas all the rest have to wait for the big national switch on next year regardless?
    Its not available yet but will be in the next two months or so. Some of the exchanges are finished, this Ive seen them working on the exchanges in Woodlee, Abbey court and Spa road.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Any updates on that? Is there a list of exchanges with enabled fibre?

Last I heard comreg decided Eircom could not launch the segment that is already enabled early, as there was still some exchanges to be upgraded. This has meant that they could not launch on time either, so its likely to be in the next two weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

One of the few disadvantages of living in the Kingdom is the bloody Internet in many areas . It breaks my heart tbh . I work from home a lot although based in Dublin . I could almost never leave Kerry if I had a proper connection .

johnplayer wrote: »
    One of the few disadvantages of living in the Kingdom is the bloody Internet in many areas . It breaks my heart tbh . I work from home a lot although based in Dublin . I could almost never leave Kerry if I had a proper connection .

Are you out in the sticks?

I should have either 50 meg or 70 meg next month, can't wait

Best of luck.
    I have a neighbour here in Tralee, literally a stone's throw from the cabinet, who has got to 28 or so.
    Big advance on what she had before, but I reckon I'd be less than impressed with that, paying the same as someone else getting "up to' 70 Mb speed.
    I understand that 40 to 50 would be what one could expect here. Max.
    Let us know how you get on.

Best of luck.
    I have a neighbour here in Tralee, literally a stone's throw from the cabinet, who has got to 28 or so.
    Big advance on what she had before, but I reckon I'd be less than impressed with that, paying the same as someone else getting "up to' 70 Mb speed.
    I understand that 40 to 50 would be what one could expect here. Max.
    Let us know how you get on.

There was a poster on the Tralee thread who was getting 48 on a 50 meg line which is brilliant. It's not all down to distance from the cabinet

There was a poster on the Tralee thread who was getting 48 on a 50 meg line which is brilliant. It's not all down to distance from the cabinet

I agree.
    I would reckon that a lot of houses have setups evolved over the years less than ideal from the efibre installer's point of view.As they probably are on contract, the installers would not have the time to tease out all the possibilities.
    My plan at the minute is to hang on until the initial surge is over,I'm getting by OK with 10+Mb from the NGB campaign and hope to see a regular linesman come to place the new socket ?NPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

Kind of . I'm living in Carrauntoohil almost 35 years now . A Tipperary native .

• Advertisement

johnplayer wrote: »
    Kind of . I'm living in Carrauntoohil almost 35 years now . A Tipperary native .
    The mountain!? I'd say satellite is you only decent option back there, unless 3 have coverage.

Well I'm booked in for July 1st, 50 meg is the highest they have in my area. I'll prob get rid of the landline once I've got it up and running and just have the fibre going :D

Before
    2806110813.png

After
    2807987392.png

Not great, considering its 50 meg, but the line to the house is absolutely ancient, throw in a mess of wires before the box on the wall and thats where I'm losing so much. Average actual download speed from steam is about 5meg per second

Before
    2806110813.png

After
    2807987392.png

Not great, considering its 50 meg, but the line to the house is absolutely ancient, throw in a mess of wires before the box on the wall and thats where I'm losing so much. Average actual download speed from steam is about 5meg per second

Was that "before' speed with the benefit of the NGB upgrade of last year?
    Were you given any options of where the modem was to be placed and the pros and cons of doing so?

Advertisement