Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Frequency

Options
  • 08-11-2012 8:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

I remember when I was growing up I used to be able to listen to taxis on the radio. Is this still possible? Do they still use CBs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

squakbox wrote: »
    I've reported this post as abuse.

:rolleyes:

New around here, eh?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Moved from Radio

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Please keep the responses civil guys. If you have nothing helpful to say, best not say it.

Thanks,
    Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Most Taxis are around 165 - 168Mhz.

there might be some still using CB, especially since most local use has died away alot, though the big problem is the skip bouncing in from all over the world during the day time making 27mhz at best "difficult"

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I have a few local taxis around 82 mhz ish off memory they neverupgraded there radios since the 90's and have amalgamated with a few other small companies since then.

BTW I used to be molloys clondalkin that account will be closing soon. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

waiting all night for one then three turn up at once...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

waiting all night for one then three turn up at once...

You should got dame st so!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

A lot are using mototurbo protocol so unless you have means to decode this unencrypted digital mode, a scanner in Dublin is a doorstop unless you like aeroplanes and boats and ham radio..

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Quite right telecine...

Analogue is on the decrease and the move to digital is creeping in. I think the idea is Digital uses less bandwidth per channel so you get more channels per MHz. Depending on Codecs you get much better speech quality and enhanced noise cancelling/filtering.

Even the boys with the yellow hub-caps are gone digital and possibly use data over the air to a terminal in the vehicles.

Some digital modes are easy enough to decode with the right software and a scanner with discriminator audio output (seen it done). TETRA is another story altogether...but someone out there will reverse engineer it, in time!!!

Anyway, happy scanning, what's left of it out there.

73's

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Batzoo

I know the thread is a few weeks old but I just want to clear up a few things. No Taxi! company that I know about is using Moto Trbo radios. If any are, please enlighten me. They are too expensive for this business. No Taxi companies are using digital radios AFIK. Some of the bigger companies use data heads from auriga, gpc etc, These generally use VHF and UHF analogue radios for the data transmissions (Still analogue) and can be heard on a standard scanner(data bursts). Moto GM340/GM350 and Tait T2000/8000 varities are common on these systems. More common now is the switch away from radio to mobile phones/pda's. It is more secure way of sending jobs to the drivers.

No proper Taxi company uses CB, it is illegal. Three or four guys may set up a local co-op in the sticks and use cb's but still its illegal. Rare but it does happen from time to time.

What was refered to in the original post would be the older taxi companies who were on low band. A few of them are still in operation around 86 Mhz which on some FM radios (wideband) when tuned to the lowest frequency will be detected. Usually you will only hear one side of the conversation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement