Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

septic tank, and soakage area regulations

• 08-11-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

can anyone please tell me, how far away does the septic tank, and soakage area, need to be away from the house - by legislation / regulations?

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'm not being funny but it depends on:

when the septic tank was put in place?
    are you working to SR6 standard?
    are you working to EPA's Code of Practice?
    is there LA's bye-laws in place?
    are you dealing with a Septic Tank or a Treatment System?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

I'm not being funny but it depends on:

when the septic tank was put in place?
    are you working to SR6 standard?
    are you working to EPA's Code of Practice?
    is there LA's bye-laws in place?
    are you dealing with a Septic Tank or a Treatment System?

thanks - in response :

when the septic tank was put in place? - new build
    are you working to SR6 standard? - whatever standards i have to work to
    are you working to EPA's Code of Practice? - whatever standards i have to work to
    is there LA's bye-laws in place? no
    are you dealing with a Septic Tank or a Treatment System? - both

You will need to get a site assessment carried out to determine what type of system your site needs. This site assessment will need to be carried out by an assessor from the Local Authorities list of approved assessors. The response matrix in the EPA's Code of Practice will tell whether a septic tank or treatment system should be used. The minimum separation distances as stated in the Code of Practice should be adopted but these can be extended by the assessor and the separation distances stated in the CoP are minimum.
    (7m between house and septic tank to answer your initial question)

Also: minimum of 10m separation distance between a house and any part of the percolation area, if it's a percolation area your site needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Also: minimum of 10m separation distance between a house and any part of the percolation area, if it's a percolation area your site needs.

thats sound, thanks
    Jo

• Advertisement
Advertisement