Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh Ryanair how i adore you.

• 08-11-2012 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Fellow Boarders,

I just logged on to Ryanair's website and booked a trip to Krakow next summer.
    When asked to select a bag they quoted me €50 for a 15kg bag (return journey) and €70 for a 20kg bag (return journey)!
    i remember it used to be €30 for a 15kg bag.

Anyone noticed this? Disgraceful price for a bag, i may have to wear 8 tshirts on to the plane:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Why don't you just use another airline?

(FYI, rhetorical question)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Those are standard rates in the high season which is when you are booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

You think that's bad...The day they released their most recent set of financial results (Monday, I think) Michael Cawley (the deputy CEO) didn't rule out a new charge for people bringing hand luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

ballooba wrote: »
    Why don't you just use another airline?

(FYI, rhetorical question)

We got the flight for a 100 quid incl taxes, pretty decent, Aer Lingus only forecast 3/4 mths in advance

Stheno wrote: »
    Those are standard rates in the high season which is when you are booking?

Never knew that, I've flown with Ryanair 20 times before, even to France for skiing holidays Christmas week and February and i don't ever recall paying €50 for a 15 kg bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

For all the moaning about Ryanair you cant beat there prices.

Dublin to faro/faro to Dublin same days this month.

79.00 euro ryanair

186.00 aer lingus

Ryanair wins all the way for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Never knew that, I've flown with Ryanair 20 times before, even to France for skiing holidays Christmas week and February and i don't ever recall paying €50 for a 15 kg bag.

I've been flying regularly with them throughout this year, and it's been 35 for a 15kg and 50 for a 20kg bag per flight at some times

I've been flying regularly with them throughout this year, and it's been 35 for a 15kg and 50 for a 20kg bag per flight at some times

I know, but i was quoted €50 yesterday for a 15kg bag, which i found very strange.

I know, but i was quoted €50 yesterday for a 15kg bag, which i found very strange.

Yes but didn't you saw that was for a return journey, i.e. 2 flights?

Yes but didn't you saw that was for a return journey, i.e. 2 flights?

Yea, but in the last it was always €30 (2 * 15) every time i booked with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

It would be cheaper to book a seat for the luggage, except it does not have a passport :rolleyes:

Ahhhh Ryanair, we will get thou back, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday we the consumer will rise up and walk away.

Yea, but in the last it was always €30 (2 * 15) every time i booked with them.

Ah it's been 35 x 2 for 15kg at least the past six/seven months for me.

And 50 x 2 for 20kg

Ah it's been 35 x 2 for 15kg at least the past six/seven months for me.

And 50 x 2 for 20kg

There's something very sinister going on here.. damn you Michael O'Leary

There's something very sinister going on here.. damn you Michael O'Leary

NOt as bad as the bowel clenching experience of being overweight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

it has already been answered above

luggage is charged at a higher price in high season - you said you have booked for next SUMMER;)

You pay normal prices with luggage.. Everyone else gets it cheap with no luggage. Better than everyone paying normal price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dukedalton wrote: »
    You think that's bad...The day they released their most recent set of financial results (Monday, I think) Michael Cawley (the deputy CEO) didn't rule out a new charge for people bringing hand luggage.
    That almost definitely will come in.

East European budget operator Wizzair brought in a policy 2 weeks ago that small bags carried on board were free but larger bags approaching the current max dimensions are charged at a tenner per direction.

I cant see Ryanair missing out on this opportunity especially as someone else has taken the initiaitive and tested that it works with consumers.

We got the flight for a 100 quid incl taxes, pretty decent, Aer Lingus only forecast 3/4 mths in advance
    Exactly, they offered the best value. Were the luggage charges hidden from you prior to your agreeing to purchase the flight? Sounds like you have nothing to complain about.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Ahhhh Ryanair, we will get thou back, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday we the consumer will rise up and walk away.
    Absolutely, people should vote with their feet and be informed consumers. Shop around and use someone else if they offer better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Somebody, at some point, has to come down on them. The EASA, the JAA, the ICAO...they just have to.

Ryanair absurd baggage policies actually present a real logistic and safety issue; Almost every time I was on a delayed Ryanair flight, part the delay occurred because of the various problematics of excessive hand baggage, from the classic "there's no more space" to moaning, bitching and fighting.
    Needless to say the crews are still asked to meet their strict turnaround times and, at some point during the day, they'll have to cut corners in order to stay more or less on schedule.

In more than one occasion, the flight took off with a few suitcases completely unsecured - either laying somewhere on the cabin floor or lodged between the rear bulkhead and the last row of seats, ready to become nice big bulky projectiles in case of a technical issue or heavy turbulence.

Fair enough, most people/travelers really have no sense when it comes to packing and tend to either ignore rules and regulations and simply carry too much; A healthy dose of education would help a lot, but charging 50 Euro for a bag is simply out of this world and just encourages the average Joe/Jane to try and bring everything to the cabin.

As for the "go with someone else", sometimes it's difficult - Ryanair tends to enter a specific market and drive the competitors away helped by the silly, blind mentality of the aforementioned average Joe/Jane: if they know there's a Ryanair flight for their destination, they'll book it because they assume it's the most convenient. They don't research and compare and if they do, they stop to the figure the website gives them - without taking into account the fact that, for one, FR will in most cases land you in a field somewhere remotely connected to your original destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fellow Boarders,

When asked to select a bag they quoted me €50 for a 15kg bag (return journey) and €70 for a 20kg bag (return journey)!

Anyone noticed this? Disgraceful price for a bag, i may have to wear 8 tshirts on to the plane:rolleyes:

I remember it used to be in the region of €500 to fly to london and back
    Absolutely, people should vote with their feet and be informed consumers. Shop around and use someone else if they offer better value.

People do. The reason that ryanair is so popular is that they usually offer the best value - do you really think that all the moaners and whingers would pay over the odds for the service they so despise. The way some people go on, you'd swear it was compulsary to fly with them!
    Don't do it and then moan about it, since they're so shít fly with one of their many competitors.
    Personally i go with who's cheapest - 9 times out of 10 that's ryanair. What's to complain about there??

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    blind mentality of the aforementioned average Joe/Jane
    That old chestnut again. It gets wheeled out by every vocal and belligerent minority on the planet. :rolleyes:

Maybe there are fools who use Ryanair through ignorance even though it doesn't match their needs. It's fantastic that they subsidise the rest of us. But they're hardly getting repeatedly burned by this, if they are then great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    As for the "go with someone else", sometimes it's difficult - Ryanair tends to enter a specific market and drive the competitors away helped by the silly, blind mentality of the aforementioned average Joe/Jane: if they know there's a Ryanair flight for their destination, they'll book it because they assume it's the most convenient. They don't research and compare and if they do, they stop to the figure the website gives them - without taking into account the fact that, for one, FR will in most cases land you in a field somewhere remotely connected to your original destination.

I really don't think it happens any more, and if it does, well I have no sympathy for those people.

Exactly, they offered the best value. Were the luggage charges hidden from you prior to your agreeing to purchase the flight? Sounds like you have nothing to complain about.

Hi there,

My point wasn't originally that they 'hid' the price of a bag, it was simply that anytime in the past (more than 10 times) that i've used ryanair , the price of my luggage was €30 return. I was just posting to see of anyone had the same experience. Jeez..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@ everyone posting in this thread:

I've just deleted some un-helpful and not at all relevant posts from this thread. If you cannot be polite or helpful in here, then just don't post!

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The whole thread should be deleted it's just another whinge about Ryanair from someone who can't understand the rules.

There is no question involved, it's just "I don't understand that you have to pay more for luggage at peak periods with Ryanair" because I couldn't be bothered to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just booked a weekend away in Belgium on Ryanair. Tickets (including all taxes and booking fees) 45 euros. Transfer from Charlesroi airport to Brussells Midi 20 euros. Cost of checking in a bag on the way home (if I decide to do a lot of shopping when I am there) 30 euros. Add that up and it is still over a 130 euros less than Aer Lingus want for the same trip. If people don't think that that is one heck of deal, they are in dream land ! If I have to pack lightly, wear 3 layers of clothing and be very careful about checking in and printing out my own boarding passes, so that I can keep on getting those great deals, then bring it on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Fellow Boarders,

I remember when a flight to Krakow would probably have cost you several times what your total fare with Ryanair will be.
    Ryanair is extremely cheap if you play the game, once you start bringing luggage, forgetting to print out tickets, etc, you lose.
    They're offering a service at a price, it's up to you if you wish to pay that price or not.
    Nothing disgraceful about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fiskar wrote: »

Get them back for what? Allowing a huge amount of people travel to Continental Europe for **** all?

Play by the rules and you're grand. And tbh nobody can claim ignorance of how Ryanair operate at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This Ryanair thread has flown its' course.

Thanks all for the journey,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement