Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun seized inside the 3 month period

Options
  • 08-11-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Well lads.

I got my renewel there in roughly August 15th so filled out straight away and straight down to FO. Now it states on it you have 3 months to get sorted so that means i'd be ok till end of November with my licence extension, but on my licence it was out the end of October which i never really copped on to until i was pulled in one evening by the boys in BLUE.

First looked at tax, insurance, and all ok. Then they looked at moderator. I had no "S" on my licence, but letter from Super to say yes, and so we are about to part ways when he said to me I'M SEIZING YOUR GUN. I said what and why? He said my license was out of date. Even though it was being processed didn't matter to him. Even though it was only 4 days past the end of October. So gun went off to Garda station i went home with a very depressed face :mad:

Next morning i went up there with all the letters i have from Super to state that my licence should be through before January or i should say a decision, so i pleaded my case and thankfully i knew a few of the boys and they chatted to the Sergeant.

GOT MY GUN BACK

The moral of the story is watch your licence lads :eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Fair play. Good to hear you got it back. Goes to tell you that the little things we forget can lead to something like that.

I can just imagine how you felt at the time. Must be nerve recking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Any extra scratches on it?

I'd be half tempted to tell him where to go. Its amazing, do some gardai get lobotomies in Templemore?

Talk about wasting his time and yours.

We got stopped one night coming back from a dealers with a 270, no bolt in it. It was in getting a new scope fitted. Now the rifle belonged to my passenger, a good friend.

Of course I offered to drive, and my friend left his wallet containing his licenses at home. So at 1am in the morning in Carlow we met a checkpoint, and declared that we had a licensed firearm on board in the back. Que the armed detective coming over to us.

As my friend had no license or ID, and I was in a company vehicle and had no drivers licence I thought we were in the sh1t. But in fairness to the detective, he asked my friend the serial number of the rifle, his name and proceeded to ring the station to check it out. Once the detective was happy we were on our way after making our apologies.

I know the gardai have a tough job to do, but sometimes their thought process does not compute. A simple phone call would have been all it would have taken. I know your license was expired but I'm sure your Pulse ID would have registered a renewal pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I happen to be in the local station getting a passport stamped on wednesday and ask to FO who happened to be there also was there any delay as my licences were out of date since October and my renewals are in over 3 months. She brushed it off saying no issues just standard delays.

Then yesterday she calls to say actually the system has flagged you looking for more details..(how long that flag has been there who knows) what they were looking for was the Model and serial numbers on my two suppressors for my .22 and .223. Told her no serial numbers only makes and she seems happy enough.. wait and see now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

The gards do get lobotomies in templemore, but not in the Garda college. They get them in Polly's pub across the road from the college, by drinking vast quantities of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Jonty wrote: »
    Any extra scratches on it?

I'd be half tempted to tell him where to go. Its amazing, do some gardai get lobotomies in Templemore?

Talk about wasting his time and yours.

We got stopped one night coming back from a dealers with a 270, no bolt in it. It was in getting a new scope fitted. Now the rifle belonged to my passenger, a good friend.

Of course I offered to drive, and my friend left his wallet containing his licenses at home. So at 1am in the morning in Carlow we met a checkpoint, and declared that we had a licensed firearm on board in the back. Que the armed detective coming over to us.

As my friend had no license or ID, and I was in a company vehicle and had no drivers licence I thought we were in the sh1t. But in fairness to the detective, he asked my friend the serial number of the rifle, his name and proceeded to ring the station to check it out. Once the detective was happy we were on our way after making our apologies.

I know the gardai have a tough job to do, but sometimes their thought process does not compute. A simple phone call would have been all it would have taken. I know your license was expired but I'm sure your Pulse ID would have registered a renewal pending.
    That why he is the detective.
    It's the same as any other profession yer going to get some who really know their stuff and then you are going to get so who are don't know their stuff, if you thought all builders were great then you'd soon get a shock. Lol

• Advertisement

Zxthinger wrote: »
    That why he is the detective.
    It's the same as any other profession yer going to get some who really know their stuff and then you are going to get so who are don't know their stuff, if you thought all builders were great then you'd soon get a shock. Lol

I'll have to disagree on that one. "knowing your stuff" = knowing how to do your job effectively. I'm sure there is a procedure for everything, but seeing as every parish and county is a "kingdom" where different people in authority constantly ignore best practice and do their own thing defeats the purpose.

Not picking or trolling, or garda bashing, but we have seen it numerous times here regarding applications. Its like a post code lottery. Remember pre ban pistol applications? 2 guys living 3 miles apart in different jurisdictions would not be subjected to the same processes. Similar to renewals, you go from one extreme to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

if you get stopped at at check point for tax and insurance and all is present and ok . why would you say you had a licenced firearm in the car? not trying to be smart just really interested!!! do you have to by law?

TB26

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    if you get stopped at at check point for tax and insurance and all is present and ok . why would you say you had a licenced firearm in the car? not trying to be smart just really interested!!! do you have to by law?

TB26

I'd say they searched the car and the OP declared the firearm before opening the boot as you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

well fair play its good question its really common sense really if your car was searched and you were asked to get out and they find the gun you have a lot of explaining to do its just common curtisey in my eyes any way fella

tommyboy26 wrote: »

TB26

I was driving a company van. I didn't really want to bring any grief on ourselves if they looked in the back, because it was full of power tools that were in plain sight, and I just had a feeling that they would ask to look anyway. The rifle was in a slip. The fact there was an armed detective on the checkpoint also indicated that they were on the lookout for more than tax and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

I got my own gum renewal with a week so fair play to my local FO.
    I imagine it must be very annoying to have your gun taken away but what options did the Garda have ?
    You had a rifle or shotgun in the car but no license with you , he was right to take it away as far as i am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

ah sure ! wrote: »
    I imagine it must be very annoying to have your gun taken away but what options did the Garda have ?
    You had a rifle or shotgun in the car but no license with you , he was right to take it away as far as i am concerned.

Call it in and see that there was a renewal pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

This one is straight forward. A renewal pending is not a licence. You are either certified or not, no leeway. However if you have received your grant letter and paid for the cert it will show up on Pulse and the Garda can use discretion. If you are in possession of a firearm you should also be in possession of a valid cert. unfortunately it is not possible to guarantee a quick turn around in licence renewal but if you've heard nothing back in two weeks you should be contacting the local FO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I had a similar experience back in the late 90's when I was out shooting around north Cavan, on the way home there was a check point and they were looking in peoples boots (as in car) anyway common sense tells me that if he opens the boot and sees a gun......he is obliged to ask more questions and i would be hoping he did.

Anyway when it came to my turn I rolled down the window and told him straight up BTW when you open the boot there is a gun in it and mind the dog doesn't jump out. The Detective asked me if I got anything and I got waved through......

Look the Gardai are duty bound to inquire...Put yourself in the shoes of a Garda, if you were in the same boat...If it is done with manners and respect then he is doing his job however inconvenient.

ah sure ! wrote: »

I don't agree with you on this, its easily checked out. What about the changover from the 1 year to 3 year license system where there was a delay in issuing licenses even though they were paid for?

AFAIK there is no legislation that states you must carry your license at all times. However common sense would suggest that carry it at all times.

Lmklad wrote: »
    This one is straight forward. A renewal pending is not a licence. You are either certified or not, no leeway. However if you have received your grant letter and paid for the cert it will show up on Pulse and the Garda can use discretion. If you are in possession of a firearm you should also be in possession of a valid cert. unfortunately it is not possible to guarantee a quick turn around in licence renewal but if you've heard nothing back in two weeks you should be contacting the local FO.

So according to you, while I'm waiting for the backlog to clear I should hand in my firearm to AGS?

Remember things did not go so smoothly changing from the 1 year to 3 year license,

So according to you, while I'm waiting for the backlog to clear I should hand in my firearm to AGS?

Remember things did not go so smoothly changing from the 1 year to 3 year license,

Nope, didn't say that. And the station probably won't take it, you will be advised to hand ot to a dealer If your licence is out of date talk to your local FO.

I don't agree with you on this, its easily checked out. What about the changover from the 1 year to 3 year license system where there was a delay in issuing licenses even though they were paid for?

AFAIK there is no legislation that states you must carry your license at all times. However common sense would suggest that carry it at all times.

Section 22 of the 1925 Act stipulates that AGS have the power to demand name and address, arrest without warrant for not supplying, or supplying false details or AGS believes to be false and seize any firearm and ammo which they suspect is being used without a cert. Much easier just to carry the licence. Of course a quick pulse check will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

as it was said above it is just common sense to have the license with you.

Advertisement