Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The '4bird roast' from Aldi's

Options
  • 08-11-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Aldi have them on sale the last couple fo years, soes anyone have ANY idea how much one of these joints are please?

I think the combo is Turkey,Chicken,Goose& duck boned & rolled, ready to roast :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Couldn't find any info on aldi.ie, but it's on their UK website at £9.99 if that's any help.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/product_range_27609.htm

I've also seen something similar in Lidl in their 'Deluxe' range.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

It was about a tenner last year

I wouldnt have one again though

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

BBDBB wrote: »
    It was about a tenner last year

I wouldnt have one again though
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

it tasted terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We got a 3 bird roast (turduckin) and it shrank to nothing in the oven :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The turkey crown is very nice. Had one last week and it's good value. Keep basting it though. A few nice par-boiled spuds in beside it and you have lovely roasties. Fceking starving now thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When you stuff a bird with a bird you have to roast the lot much slower. This is because the hot air can't cook from inside the cavity like a normal roast. If you don't the outer meat is like leather before the inner meat.

That's probably what happened to the posters who said it shrank to nothing and tasted horrible. I've had the aldi one and it was decent for the price.

We did roast it slow on a low heat for maybe 7ish hours, I still can't figure why it shrank so much!

We did roast it slow on a low heat for maybe 7ish hours, I still can't figure why it shrank so much!

I'd say 7 hours is why. Unless your was a lot bigger than the one I had, it sounds too long.

Any other roast we do is always done for just as long and nothing is ever wrong with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I've gotten this a couple of times and always liked it.

Care has to be taken when cooking it as boned meats are never as juicy as meat on the bone.

I always just roasted it at a low temperature in the oven and served with veg and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Pretty sure I saw it for €12.99. Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Goose, stuffed with Pork, Sage & Onion and wrapped in Bacon. Christmas dinner is sorted but I'd be tempted to try this with my housemates before Christmas.

I've never roasted anything bigger than a chicken breast, would I be mad to try this?

They also had a smaller roast with 2 birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I remember last christmas reading a review done on some of the major supermarkets three bird roasts.

Ah it was the daily mail not normally a source I trust but might be worth reading before buying.

It has a review of the AldI four bird roast.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2076384/Do-bird-roasts-trounce-plain-turkey-Ahead-big-day-test.html

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Do it yourself, I did a 6 bird roast bird roast last year, relatively easy just a bit time consuming. Just watch a couple of YouTube videos to learn how to bone the bird properly. The Quails were a pain because they are so small.

2 * Quail
    1 * Posussin
    1 * Duck
    1 * Chicken
    1 * Turkey
    Use Sausage Stuffing to fill the gaps.

If I was to do it again I think I’d leave the Duck out as it was a bit overpowering compared to the other birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Thanks for all the replies. It turns out my own sister had this last year, so she gave me a great run down on it.

When chatting with my hubby about it, he thought it was 'quite literally' a bird with in a bird. God love him, he hasn't a clue.
    I'm still picturing it! lol. Thank ye all for the replies:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks for all the replies. It turns out my own sister had this last year, so she gave me a great run down on it.

When chatting with my hubby about it, he thought it was 'quite literally' a bird with in a bird. God love him, he hasn't a clue.

You can do that. See RobbieTheRobber's post. Bit too complicated for me this year though.

I'm still picturing it! lol. )
    That's the "proper" way to do it. Whole birds, boned and stuffed inside each other. The premade ones are more like segments of each bird rolled together. I suppose it keeps the size more suitable for regular dinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

goose06 wrote: »
    Do it yourself, I did a 6 bird roast bird roast last year, relatively easy just a bit time consuming. Just watch a couple of YouTube videos to learn how to bone the bird properly. The Quails were a pain because they are so small.

2 * Quail
    1 * Posussin
    1 * Duck
    1 * Chicken
    1 * Turkey
    Use Sausage Stuffing to fill the gaps.

If I was to do it again I think I’d leave the Duck out as it was a bit overpowering compared to the other birds.

Glad to hear no Goose in the recipe, no Cannibalism so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Here is one I did a few years back. Boned, stuffed and rolled it myself. Turkey, guinea fowl and duck breast with pork mince.

ay177.jpg

If you have the courage to do this yourself you can spice up the mince whichever way you like.
    It's just as important to leave the meat to rest before slicing, just like with any other roasts.

Here is one I did a few years back. Boned, stuffed and rolled it myself. Turkey, guinea fowl and duck breast with pork mince.

ay177.jpg

If you have the courage to do this yourself you can spice up the mince whichever way you like.
    It's just as important to leave the meat to rest before slicing, just like with any other roasts.
    That looks only gorgeous! Fair play to ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think hubby has the last laugh here!!

I think hubby has the last laugh here!!
    Yes...yes he does. Considering he can't cook, or even has any interest in cooking. that'll teach me to laugh at him!

Advertisement