Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iStupid

• 08-11-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I am absolutely hopeless at anything like phones etc but really need a bit of advice. I have an iPhone 3gs - I bought it from a friend's brother and got it unlocked to Meteor in one of those mobile phone unlocking stalls in a shopping centre. So basically now I cannot put any apps onto it like facebook or even one's that dont require wifi. Is there any way I can get it updated to allow these things? The guy in the stall said "never hit restore or update" when I charge my phone! Most apps I download say things like "requires ios4". Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

It sounds like it was jail broken and unlocked on iOS 3xx. Since the 3GS is still being supported by the new iOS 6 you could download and install that enabling you to download apps as normal.

Of course if you do that you'll lose the unlock and the phone will be locked back to its original carrier. There's no jailbreak/unlock available for ios6 just yet unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    I am absolutely hopeless at anything like phones etc but really need a bit of advice. I have an iPhone 3gs - I bought it from a friend's brother and got it unlocked to Meteor in one of those mobile phone unlocking stalls in a shopping centre. So basically now I cannot put any apps onto it like facebook or even one's that dont require wifi. Is there any way I can get it updated to allow these things? The guy in the stall said "never hit restore or update" when I charge my phone! Most apps I download say things like "requires ios4". Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

It can have the jailbreak reversed. Why is it not legitimately unlocked ?

I just left behind a 3G and I used it a LOT, with lots of apps. So some apps are 4 only ... so update it to iOS 4. You'd be insane to try putting 6 on it. It will be like black molasses.

Piliger wrote: »
    It can have the jailbreak reversed. Why is it not legitimately unlocked ?

I just left behind a 3G and I used it a LOT, with lots of apps. So some apps are 4 only ... so update it to iOS 4. You'd be insane to try putting 6 on it. It will be like black molasses.

You wouldn't be able to put iOS 4 on it without SHSH blobs though?

Karsini wrote: »
    You wouldn't be able to put iOS 4 on it without SHSH blobs though?

Huh ?

Huh ?

Apple will only allow you to update to the current version of iOS on most devices. If you download the IPSW for iOS 4 it will say that your device isn't eligible for the requested build.

If the phone is or was jailbroken then the SHSH blobs for 4.x may have been saved for that device. If so, you could use TinyUmbrella to fool iTunes into installing the older version.

• Advertisement

Apple will only allow you to update to the current version of iOS on most devices. If you download the IPSW for iOS 4 it will say that your device isn't eligible for the requested build.

If the phone is or was jailbroken then the SHSH blobs for 4.x may have been saved for that device. If so, you could use TinyUmbrella to fool iTunes into installing the older version.

I have rolled back my 3G from 4 to 3.1.3 ..........

I have rolled back my 3G from 4 to 3.1.3 ..........

Hence why I said *most* devices. Apple are still signing 3.1.3 on the 3G because 4 was such a dog on it. That's not the case for the 3GS or 4.

Hence why I said *most* devices. Apple are still signing 3.1.3 on the 3G because 4 was such a dog on it. That's not the case for the 3GS or 4.

I don't think they were when I rolled back .... but I will defer to you if you are sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

BanjoB wrote: »
    There's no jailbreak/unlock available for ios6 just yet unfortunately.

There is, but it's tethered.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

Thanks for all the replys...however I dont understand any of them:confused: . Can someone tell me how I can do it in English!

• Advertisement

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replys...however I dont understand any of them:confused: . Can someone tell me how I can do it in English!

Unfortunately there's no simple fix to your issue. It sounds like the phone shop did a software unlock. You can update the phone to the current version of iOS 6 but it will lock it again. There are ways to update the phone's software while preserving the ability to unlock it but they involve a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Just ask the carrier that the phone is unlocked to to unlock it. They should do it as its a 3G and an old phone and should meet their requirements.

Advertisement