Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours ban.

Options
  • 08-11-2012 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

I think my permanent ban from After Hours was very unfair. I did not call another poster "stupid" as was alleged and as can be verified. I said to another poster "shut up", something I have said to my sister many times (and she said to me, and my dad said to me occasionally). I will know in future not to say this. I just wanted them to have a bit of respect.

The reason I did say it was because they were openly calling conservatives in the US "stupid", claiming that people such as Bill O' Reilly did not hold the views they say they do and consider the views stupid, and lots of other stuff that nobody could prove one way or another but are very offensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SuperInfinity

You were not banned for calling someone stupid. You were banned because your posts were needlessly antagonistic and disruptiveIt is not your job to try and make posters have a bit of respect. Any posts which you thought broke the charter should have been reported to bring it to the attention of the mods.

Given your previous bans from the forum including your last one for one year, it's clear that if allowed to stay on After Hours, you will likely continue to be a disruption. And looking through some other posts of yours which were reported recently, I'm inclined to agree.

I'm recommending that based on your previous bans, a permaban is justified. If you're unhappy with this decision, you can ask for an admin to review it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm going to pre-empt any request for an admin review and state that the ban stays. You've had 7 previous bans in AH and while the cause of your latest ban may seem trivial, the cumulative effect of those 7 previous bans cannot be ignored.

Since you joined Boards you've picked up 11 warnings, 12 infractions and 18 forum bans, most of them apparently for personal abuse. How you haven't been sitebanned yet is beyond me. So now I'm giving you fair warning that should it come to my attention that any of those figures has increased I will be sitebanning you, possibly permanently. We're basically fed up with people like you disrupting the site and causing unnecessary work for the mods and it's no longer being tolerated. So basically you play by our rules in future or you find some other site to annoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Penn, my posts were not "antagonistic and needlessly disruptive".

I'd like to suggest something if I may. I think in future as a refinement to your moderation discussion you would do better to use qualifiers such as "in my opinion" or "may be regarded as" or "could be interpreted as" rather than stating it as if it were a fact.

Then everyone can be satisfied that everything you've said is true and accurate (the poster would be very unlikely to argue that it couldn't be interpreted in that way after two others had found something). If a person states something they feel is highly untrue about them, typically they feel obliged to refute the allegation against them, contest it rather than leave it stand, even if it's just a "no u" like the above.

It may seem like nitpicking superficially, but I don't think anything in dispute should be stated as a fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Zaph wrote: »
    We're basically fed up with people like you disrupting the site and causing unnecessary work for the mods and it's no longer being tolerated. So basically you play by our rules in future or you find some other site to annoy.

The only thing I "disrupted" was people making fun of others, calling them stupid and whatnot. I would take it as a compliment that I partially disrupted the fun there, I didn't disrupt anything else.

This is After Hours we're talking about. I'm a mature, reliable and honest poster, I don't go around trolling and especially not intentionally as some posters do.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Regardless of how you see yourself as a poster, your record suggests something completely different, both in AH and the 11 other forums where mods have had to deal with you in some manner. I'm not going to get into a debate about this, I've told you what you need to do and what the consequences of failing to do so. There's nothing further to discuss and I'm marking this as resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement