Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Program Electric Heater

Options
  • 08-11-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I live in an rented apartment in London with electric radiators mounted on timber stud partition walls.

I'm trying to work out the best option

A: Leave it on timer at 25 degrees or so, so that it comes on at night time, from 11pm to 7am when electricity is 5p a KWH, and stays off the rest of the time.

or

B: Have it on a thermostat of about 21 degrees from 6pm to 8am, when I'm actually in the house, which will result in paying 22p a KWH from 6 to 11.

Of course A will only work if there's enough thermal mass in the apartment to retain the heat all day until the evening, and I'm not sure about timber stud walls. The floors are concrete slab, as far as I can make out. The exterior walls are north west facing floor to ceiling glass, so there's not a lot of insulation, but there is some solar gain in the afternoon to supplement the radiators.

Does anyone have any advice on the best course of action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Tow

Depends on the type of electric heater. 'Storage' heaters A, other types B

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement