Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The scum in this city.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I know for sure, that 'The Germans' don't want Dublin or Ireland to be a crime ridden place, ruled by incompetent TDs or sc**bags on the streets.

...whatever 'The Germans' means, it can be the people of Germany, it can be the German government as well.

But I know as well, there are different ways in Germany to deal with underaged criminals, since I was working with those already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

exactly but some people dont seem to understand this, its not rocket science the recent surge in crime in dublin, the solution is alot more complex. I am not paid a huge salary to work out these problems but that is what the government and TDs are supposed to do, to justify their extra cushy pay

I think the real problem is that they get away with it. This type of anti social behaviour starts when they are kids. Their parents dont dicipline them, teachers cant touch them, the Guards cant touch them. To make a pet analogy, if you dont train your dog to behave you will end up with a problem dog. They have this "yis cant touch me" attitude and thats that.
    I have no idea what the solution is though

• Registered Users Posts: 4 david.1976

I've worked as a garda nearly 13 years, and at this stage of my career I never stop seeing behaviour and attitudes that sicken, enrage and just down right drive me mad. I've worked in two of the country's biggest cities and in two large provincial towns. People are the same no matter where I've worked. The riff raff that I encounter on a daily a daily basis have it easy in many ways. There are simply little or no real consequences for many people who engage in crime either on a small of large scale. I've brought hundred's of people before the courts over the years and I can only remember a few that genuinely regretted their actions. In the majority of cases, punishments are meaningless and do nothing whatsoever to change these people's behaviour - monetary fines and/or imprisonment are rarely enforced to the full degree (most fines go unpaid, so a penal warrant is issued - I then bring Anto to the Joy to do his few weeks and in a day or two he's back on the street and the cycle continues). Ironically, decent hard working people tend to get more severe fines in court because they are seen as being able to pay.
    By this stage of my career, I'm beginning to see the next generation of riff raff coming through. The old saying 'the apple never falls too far from the tree' is very true in this situation. Older and retired members of the station can trace families of trouble makers back three and four generations!! It's a cycle that will never ever be broken - it's simply a case of bad DNA being passed down from father to son. What exasperates the problem is that these types of people are increasingly moving from the bigger urban areas to smaller communties.
    As for having Gardai out on the streets, well that's a whole different problem. No recruitment, no money to provide the most basic equipment, poor morale amongst many in the job etc etc are not helping. Many of us are doing our best but we all know that it's very often just a case of putting a band aid on an open festering sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

totally agree with that post as well -perhaps whilst this country is on its knees an in depth review of society could be invetsigated if not its forever going to be a repeated cycle

Just to be clear incase of any misunderstanding I certainly dont blame the guards and know they do their best in ridiculous circumstances with no funding, no new recruitment and seeing the people they nick getting let go the next day to carry on the same nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I am so sorry to hear this OP. But I am glad that the lads are all right. This should not happen everyone should have the basic right of safety. A country is judged on many factors and basic safety and lack of crime should be on the top of this. I just wish the fellows who did this get caught. Any chance of a shop or office near there that might have a CCTV camera running at that time? Did the Gardai do any check on this? They really can catch these fellows if they tried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

that is possible, but how many cctvs actually work?, also these crimes are happening about a dozen a day if not more then of course there are the more serious incidents like murder etc -it all comes down to resources and time, if there not enough guards due to budget costs, frozen recruitment it is making the almost simpler crimes impossible to catch the criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

sticksman wrote: »
    The amount of public drinking in Dublin 8 is a bloody joke at this stage (and I suppose it's not only drinking they are doing). I often walk from James Hospital to DIT Aungier Street and you'd regularly see it at the monument on James Street across from The Tram pub, outside Lidl and around Lamb Alley and the Back Lane near Mother Redcaps. These winos mightn't bother any but it is their spawn that are carrying out these random attacks on innocent passers by. I walked down Lamb Alley yesterday beside Spar Thomas Street and there were 3 different groups of middle aged men drinking their cheap cider. Maybe I should report this to the guards but the only thing that would happen is that they will move somewhere else.

Yeah the scumbag street party seems to be all the rage. I live near Museum LUAS stop and there's often a group drinking at the LUAS stop. I think they possibly stay in one of the hostels nearby and can't be bothered going as far as town. Always a few at Jervis and Wolfe Tone Square, Townsend St another popular hangout with Abbey St and Talbot St being a complete free for all

What's amazing is most of the places mentioned above are very close to or just outside of Garda stations so you would think they would be scumbag free but no such luck

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

sticksman wrote: »
    The amount of public drinking in Dublin 8 is a bloody joke at this stage (and I suppose it's not only drinking they are doing). I often walk from James Hospital to DIT Aungier Street and you'd regularly see it at the monument on James Street across from The Tram pub, outside Lidl and around Lamb Alley and the Back Lane near Mother Redcaps. These winos mightn't bother any but it is their spawn that are carrying out these random attacks on innocent passers by. I walked down Lamb Alley yesterday beside Spar Thomas Street and there were 3 different groups of middle aged men drinking their cheap cider. Maybe I should report this to the guards but the only thing that would happen is that they will move somewhere else.
    tempura wrote: »
    I am from Dublin, I love Dublin, but tonight I am disgusted by what happened in the city I love.

My son, 14 and three of his friends were jumped by two complete scumbags in pimlico, What for ? Nothing apparently ! Nothing was stolen, this was just for fun so it seems.

One child is in hospital with a fractured skull, one has a broken nose. The other two are ok thankfully.

These are children for ****s sake, 14 is still a child, how could anyone inflict this kind of violence of a child ?

Im sickened to the core.

And as for the scumbags who did this, nothing will ever done about this most likely.

No real reason for my thread, just had to vent it because I know there will be no justice.

Terrible to hear this. I wish the boys a speedy recovery , hope they will not be too badly affected. Awful that they cannot even go about their day unabated. It makes it worse that theft was not even a motivating factor. I really don't know what can be done about it but this really needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I really hope that your son and his friends come out of this unharmed, but as a concerned parent how, and I would ask the question how we as a people or nation let or allow children attack each other in such a manner.??????????????????????????.
    I come home from work every evening hoping my child is safe and this is him going to and coming from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stevek93 wrote: »
    True guards do feck all!
    Blame the judges giving the scum sweet to f**k all of a sentence.

Poor johnny caming from a sh|thole gets him off the hook. Who cares! Throw him into the pit, but oh no, the victim has no rights, only the scum has rights.

I hope that should I ever get attacked, I'll have enough strength to defend myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

I am so sorry to hear this OP. But I am glad that the lads are all right. This should not happen everyone should have the basic right of safety. A country is judged on many factors and basic safety and lack of crime should be on the top of this. I just wish the fellows who did this get caught. Any chance of a shop or office near there that might have a CCTV camera running at that time? Did the Gardai do any check on this? They really can catch these fellows if they tried.

Update, cctv footage was found, was talking to the guards today. In with them tomorrow with the boys to check identities on footage.

Who knows, may get some justice afterall.

And just to say, thank you for all the kind words and comments, was so upset last night, bit calmer tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It is so pathetic listening to the usual characters blaming the Government, the f'ing Germans (!), the Garda ... everyone but the PEOPLE.

The reason the Garda cannot do anything is because WE THE PEOPLE demanded laws that stop Gardai taking the law into their own hands, and that allow these sh1bags to sue the Gardai and everyone else for damages in the courts. We also failed completely to demand heavier punishments. That is the real truth.

What you fail to grasp is that jail doesn't frighten these sh1bags. It's cool to them. And it is WE the PEOPLE that have allowed jails to become holiday camps by supporting the campaigns for nice treatment for prisoners. And when there is no punishment that deters them ... they will always continue. and in these torubled areas there are THOUSANDS of able men who could take to the street and sort out these handful of brats ... but they don't.... they sit back and expect the Gardai to solve all of their life's problems.

No deterrents - no change.

Back in the 60s the Gardai where I lived use to take a couple a couple of these sh1bags down the beach and beat the crap out of them if they were out of line. It worked well. But now if a Gardai lift a finger to defend himself against some prats demonstrating in Dame street the whole middle class jumps up in outrage, or clips any of these sh1bags around the ears they are suspended and taken to court for assault. You can't have it both ways!!

If we the PEOPLE want change then we need to say so and demand it and campaign for it. We will get it if we want it. Too few don't care enough to do anything about it but are happy to spend their lives whinging about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am so sorry to hear this OP. But I am glad that the lads are all right.
    Did you actually read the OP? One child has a fractured skull, another a broken nose...

We need a huge increase in prison spaces, a judiciary that are in touch with the real world, and revised laws which ensure that sentences reflect the severity of the crime.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Piliger wrote: »
    It is so pathetic listening to the usual characters blaming the Government, the f'ing Germans (!), the Garda ... everyone but the PEOPLE.

The reason the Garda cannot do anything is because WE THE PEOPLE demanded laws that stop Gardai taking the law into their own hands, and that allow these sh1bags to sue the Gardai and everyone else for damages in the courts. We also failed completely to demand heavier punishments. That is the real truth.

What you fail to grasp is that jail doesn't frighten these sh1bags. It's cool to them. And it is WE the PEOPLE that have allowed jails to become holiday camps by supporting the campaigns for nice treatment for prisoners. And when there is no punishment that deters them ... they will always continue. and in these torubled areas there are THOUSANDS of able men who could take to the street and sort out these handful of brats ... but they don't.... they sit back and expect the Gardai to solve all of their life's problems.

No deterrents - no change.

Back in the 60s the Gardai where I lived use to take a couple a couple of these sh1bags down the beach and beat the crap out of them if they were out of line. It worked well. But now if a Gardai lift a finger to defend himself against some prats demonstrating in Dame street the whole middle class jumps up in outrage, or clips any of these sh1bags around the ears they are suspended and taken to court for assault. You can't have it both ways!!

If we the PEOPLE want change then we need to say so and demand it and campaign for it. We will get it if we want it. Too few don't care enough to do anything about it but are happy to spend their lives whinging about it.

I fully agree with you but in terms of the government I really feel they have no plans or goals to tackle crime. Fianna Fail were ridiculously soft on crime and created an obscene welfare state to fund their lives and for them to breed. Fine Gael had absolutely nothing in their election manifesto about crime, NOTHING! I emailed my local TD (Fine Gael) a while back about crime and the underclasses. Did she respond to me? Not a chance. She's too busy looking out for womens rights.

Anti-Social behaviour is just a tidbit to these people. They dont have a clue how much it effects peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

I actually feel sorry for the guards. They are so over worked and simply dont have the resources or funding. It must annoy them as much as the public when they cant do as much as they would like due to prioritising or just over stretched.

Are they over worked? Or is it a case of low morale within the force resulting in poor policing? Are resources being allocated properly by the commanding officers?

I know in this instance we are talking about policing a city but I know of several members of the Gardaí who have a cushy number in rural areas where there is little or no reported crime. Yet if the Commissioner or Minister for Justice want's to close a local police station in the middle of nowhere they are met with vehement opposition to the idea. Policing should be more responsive and reactive to the problems of the day/week etc. At great cost to the taxpayer they were able to bus in thousands of Gardai to Dublin for visiting dignatories, yet they are not able to do this to prevent crime or detect crime.

This brings us to morale. As well as pay cuts and recruitment freezes which will obviously affect morale, gardai are faced with dealing with the same toerag/degenerate/insert appropriate word here day in and day out because the judicial system and the associated prison system do not work. Their political overlords increase the garda budget to police the visits of dignatories but not for the prevention of crime. If you were a member of the force you'd wonder what the story is. Morale is by all accounts at an all time low which obviously affects how people do their jobs.

Policing is only a very small aspect of the problem. As mentioned the judiciary and the prison service need to be doing their jobs. Presumably if a social welfare recipient is jailed their claim is suspended? This could pay to keep them in prison instead of the revolving door scenario we have now. There is no political will to fight crime despite the traditional party of law and order being in government. It is a societal problem and at this stage only the Dark Knight can save our streets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

howiya wrote: »
    Are they over worked? Or is it a case of low morale within the force resulting in poor policing? Are resources being allocated properly by the commanding officers?

I know in this instance we are talking about policing a city but I know of several members of the Gardaí who have a cushy number in rural areas where there is little or no reported crime. Yet if the Commissioner or Minister for Justice want's to close a local police station in the middle of nowhere they are met with vehement opposition to the idea. Policing should be more responsive and reactive to the problems of the day/week etc. At great cost to the taxpayer they were able to bus in thousands of Gardai to Dublin for visiting dignatories, yet they are not able to do this to prevent crime or detect crime.

This brings us to morale. As well as pay cuts and recruitment freezes which will obviously affect morale, gardai are faced with dealing with the same toerag/degenerate/insert appropriate word here day in and day out because the judicial system and the associated prison system do not work. Their political overlords increase the garda budget to police the visits of dignatories but not for the prevention of crime. If you were a member of the force you'd wonder what the story is. Morale is by all accounts at an all time low which obviously affects how people do their jobs.

Policing is only a very small aspect of the problem. As mentioned the judiciary and the prison service need to be doing their jobs. Presumably if a social welfare recipient is jailed their claim is suspended? This could pay to keep them in prison instead of the revolving door scenario we have now. There is no political will to fight crime despite the traditional party of law and order being in government. It is a societal problem and at this stage only the Dark Knight can save our streets

Is there no such thing as community work? Nursing homes, cleaning rubbish off the roads, roadworks as such? Something, the community gets profit of.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭2218219

stevek93 wrote: »
    True guards do feck all! Is it just me or is the junkie problem gotten worse in the city over the past few years?

Junkie problem?, oh please !!!
    the people who do the jumping are anti-drugs them-self's.

Junkies are not the ones going around harming people. Its the scum that do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

2218219 wrote: »
    Junkie problem?, oh please !!!
    the people who do the jumping are anti-drugs them-self's.

Junkies are not the ones going around harming people. Its the scum that do.

At last, someone in the know.

Junkies are unsightly but most are pretty harmless, tbh most aren't in any fit state to rob people.

Its the scum who travel into the city whose sole intention is to mug people, they're cctv aware. They know there are witnesses at bus stops, at taxi ranks, ATM machines etc.. and they simply do not give a rats arse, they'll rob you given half a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just more of a point on the investigation, keep at the guards! My brother got jumped on Donore Ave one night, Guards were all helpful, lad came and took photos, etc... never got any futher and they just kept blanking my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Piliger wrote: »
    and in these torubled areas there are THOUSANDS of able men who could take to the street and sort out these handful of brats ... but they don't.... they sit back and expect the Gardai to solve all of their life's problems.

What are they supposed to do? Rise up and dish out vigilante justice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What are they supposed to do? Rise up and dish out vigilante justice?

worth a try at this point since every other avenue has proved utterly useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

tempura wrote: »
    I am from Dublin, I love Dublin, but tonight I am disgusted by what happened in the city I love.

My son, 14 and three of his friends were jumped by two complete scumbags in pimlico, What for ? Nothing apparently ! Nothing was stolen, this was just for fun so it seems.

One child is in hospital with a fractured skull, one has a broken nose. The other two are ok thankfully.

These are children for ****s sake, 14 is still a child, how could anyone inflict this kind of violence of a child ?

Im sickened to the core.

And as for the scumbags who did this, nothing will ever done about this most likely.

No real reason for my thread, just had to vent it because I know there will be no justice.

Anybody see that RTÉ Prime Time programme last night on ADHD? Horrifying viewing. These are the sort of kids you're talking about:

RTÉ Prime Time (15.11.2012)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Am I understanding correctly that you're saying kids with ADHD are scumbags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Twee. wrote: »
    Am I understanding correctly that you're saying kids with ADHD are scumbags?

Not at all. Nevertheless, kids who do have it are not facilitated within the education system, get into a huge amount of trouble in it, become rebels of that hostile mainstream education system, are forced out of it earlier than others and continue on resistance to mainstream society thereafter.

Not all "scumbags" have ADHD - they are probably a minority. However, most if not all kids who are not facilitated by the education system largely due to this "mixed ability" money-saving nonsense which places mentally retarded people in the same class as geniuses, become alienated from the education system. Very many of them bring this alienation out in sociopathic tendencies.

The Prime Time programme last night just focused on one of those conditions. The point was: the education system is central to the creation of a generation of alienated "scumbags" who take their frustration out on innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

While I agree with the criticism that mixed ability does not work I disagree with the idea that ADHD is the reason these children grow up to become anti social. ADHD children in families where there is support will not end up doing what that teenager did on that show last night. He had difficulties that was evident but I can promise you that he was enabled. I work with young people like this every day. The parents who recognize that they can have a major influence on their child's behaviour by being consistent can and will be helped. The parents that blame everyone else and reward their child's bad behaviour create a sense of entitlement and encourage their child to be a victim if any one questions their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I think Seanchai is trolling here, what a stupid statement to make,

By the way dick head, the kids that were shown on the programme were extreme cases of ADHD.

Then again, we can medicate them and give all these kids Ritolin and introduce them to the world of drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bajer100

This is not a new phenomenon. The same thing happened to me 25 years ago. The answer is zero tolerence for certain types of crimes. I was on the DART home this evening and the carriage was strewn with half full milk shake containers and bags of chips. Nip that sh1t in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'v ADD and I'v also been inside a few times but I'v never done anything like what happened to those unfortunate lads, ADD doesn't feel to me like an illness or an excuse for thuggery either.

As for Ritalin, Its basically like Speed I wouldn't ever touch it again, Tried it for a month about 12 years back. ADD shouldn't require drugs as treatment in my view.

ADD didn't turn me into a criminal, I was always hyper as a child but it was bullying by the same type of scum that pushed me over the edge at the time I started getting known by the cops.

Personally I think the scum who do assaults like that should be punished with jail, There's no excuse for poxy suspended sentences or juvenile liaison schemes when violence is used on strangers, The jails have space, plenty of it but much of it is taking up with non violent offenders who could be doing community service.

From reading these stories now I'm getting worried about my son being in Dublin city centre as he goes up there every few weeks.

The poster who mentioned Karma is right, The worst of them that bullied me are all doing Life or are dead now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Weed thse little bastards out and give them a hiding..its the only approach that works trust me.

I've seen ten year olds spitting in somebody's face because the person involved backed down when his bluff was called and they know he wouldnt follow it up. I've also seen so called "hard men" literally crying like babies in front of thier crew when somebody grabbed them and gave them a few smacks.

Its the only language they understand and they dont have any real local support..the idea of upset one and they all come after you is a myth...most kids have parents they are terrified of,its the "big man" scumbag leading them astray who needs taking down..usually a coward to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ So, shouldn't your advice be to weed out the 'big man scumbag' and the 'little bastards' will fold?

[Good advice (generally, but not in this thread), if one can react quickly enough or pre-empt the obvious coming unavoidable attack by 'getting your retaliation in first'.]

How is your internet advice actually helpful to the OP anyway? Should their 14yo son (or one of the other guys with him) have somehow beaten the crap out of the leader of the gang who jumped them? If they actually had the ability to do this, they probably wouldn't have been picked out for attack in the first place, because they would not have been giving off the 'easy victim' vibe....

In the vast majority of scenarios, legging it at the first hint of impending attack is the best advice for the average Joe. Being streetwise enough to spot that is the thing though.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement