Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat advice

• 09-11-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi guys my cat has been acting strange all day. He has been in and out of the garden all day, and when he is in he keeps going in and out of the litter box. I've just noticed him weeing blood and he is being very vocal now. I won't let him out as I plan on bringing him straight to the vets first thing as I'm extremely worried about him.

How serious could this be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I don't know OP, but bring him to the vet as soon as you can. Could be a bladder infection, I don't now... but get him checked out.
    Hope he'll be okay, keep us posted... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Cold have crystals in his urine but most likely a UTI.
    Fairly common and the vet should be able to fix it with some medication.
    Aloads of fresh water also helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sounds like a urinary infection, make sure he drinks plenty but as said above it's quite common and easy to clear up. Hope he's okay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Heroditas wrote: »
    Cold have crystals in his urine but most likely a UTI.
    Fairly common and the vet should be able to fix it with some medication.
    Aloads of fresh water also helps.

I have antibiotics here for cats and just gave him one so hopefully I've done the right thing. Will ring my vet first thing and get him seen too!

I hate seeing him in pain and discomfort :-(

Make sure you tell the vet what antibiotic you gave him, some don't work for certain types of bacteria or don't penetrate the tissues of certain areas so it's really not a good idea to self medicate without talking to your vet.

• Advertisement

Make sure you tell the vet what antibiotic you gave him, some don't work for certain types of bacteria or don't penetrate the tissues of certain areas so it's really not a good idea to self medicate without talking to your vet.

She prescribed it for an infection he had a couple weeks back. She always says no harm giving them if in doubt. This cat is a VIP in our vets, he is only four and must be down to three lives now lol ;-)

If it was prescribed for another UTI then that's grand, but sometimes different antibiotics work on different parts of the body especially when it comes to something in the urinary tract as you want something that's excreted through the kidneys. Its better to check with a vet before giving any treatment, even just a quick phone call would do. I'm sure the last thing you would want is for him to develop an antibiotic resistance if he is such a VIP down with the vets! :P

Well guys i brought my poor little man to the vets this morning and there not sure what is wrong with him. He now cant pass any water at all and his bladder isnt blocked. There not sure what is wrong with him. They kept him in over night for observation. There giving him antibiotics and an anti inflammatory, they also said i was right for giving him an antibiotic last night as i started the treatment early.

So guys please keep fingers crossed for my buster and that everything will be ok. i hate the thoughts of him sleeping in the vets all night but i know they will look after him and give him the best treatment possible.

His brother is going around like a headless chicken looking for him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Sorry to hear poor Buster is so under the weather.
    Hope the vet has some positive news for you this morning.

Advertisement