Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest Base Camp Trek

Options
  • 09-11-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to do it next year?.Anyone done it before and can give me some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Overcrowded and overrated. There are much better treks out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Well that was helpful! I'd suggest going somewhere else for info because you won't get any here. Good luck with the trek love to do it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bettyD

You should definitely check out the Suas Everest Base Camp Trek taking place in May 2012, The cost pretty much all inclusive is €1950 and then you are asked to raise €1500 for the work of Suas Education projects in India and Kenya on top of that. It is by far the cheapest cost price around as they use a local Nepali trekking company meaning that all money generated in Nepal stays in Nepal. www.suas.ie/everest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did a bit of research into that last year but read that Lukla airport can be a nightmare if the weather turns bad. This really is the only way to get near Everest quickly as there are no roads. Its one of the worlds most dangerous airports (google it) and the cloud can mean delays lasting days if you are tight on time.

I did the Annapurna sanctuary (12 days) trek instead and it was brilliant. Looking up at the summit of Macchhapucharre 16,00ft straight up was mindblowing. I organised the trip with Wayfarers and I could not recommend them highly enough. Its a 1 hour flight to Pokhara (base) from Kathmandu or a 9hr bus ride.

http://www.wayfarers.com.np/trekking/annapurna_experience.htm

For a 100euro you can do a 1hr everest flight. Wayfarers can organise. We did it and it was great. However you only get as close as roughly 20 miles from Everest.

http://www.mountainflights.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

www.mountainzone.ie are going to mt damavan / mt blanc this year . michael is a good bloke . hopefully i'll be joining him on one of these trips in 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I did the EBC/Kala Patthar/Island Peak trek with Pat Falvey a couple of years ago, it was brilliant, really enjoyed it despite altitude discomfort and dodgy stomach x 2.

I found EBC itself a bit underwhelming but seeing the sun rise over Everest from the top of Kala Patthar was something special. Island Peak was very tough but amazing.

Our trek left Dublin at the end of September, right at the beginning of the season so the trail and tea houses were less crowded than later in the season. I think it's important to go with a really good operator who knows the ropes and how to get you on that flight out of Lukla when the weather is bad.

Flying in/out of Lukla is a blast but don't undertake it lightly if you're a nervous flier.

It's worth doing some training on the hills for a few months before departure, I was called in only 6 days before leaving so had very little prep.

If there's anything you want to know specifically just ask ...

Some pics in here

http://hughchaloner.com/category/photography/mountains/

Advertisement