Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken outer boiler casing.

Options
  • 09-11-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there all,

I've just rented an apartment, came in less than a week, and noticed that the water boiler's outer casing is broken. Agent tried to cover it with a board. There's like, a huge hole at the top. I've attached a photo. But water is still heating fine.

I'm new to boiler stuff, and would just like to know what are the implications of leaving it as it is? Is it dangerous?
    What are my rights towards asking for a replacement outer casing?

Will be very grateful for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Fernny wrote: »
    Hi there all,

I've just rented an apartment, came in less than a week, and noticed that the water boiler's outer casing is broken. Agent tried to cover it with a board. There's like, a huge hole at the top. I've attached a photo. But water is still heating fine.

I'm new to boiler stuff, and would just like to know what are the implications of leaving it as it is? Is it dangerous?
    What are my rights towards asking for a replacement outer casing?

Will be very grateful for any help :)

What am I looking at? Is that the insulation on the hot water tank? I assume the tank is intact?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fernny

What am I looking at? Is that the insulation on the hot water tank? I assume the tank is intact?

im not sure what part it is called, but i would presume it is the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll be losing some heat and that section will be hot to the touch but otherwise not a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

MYOB wrote: »
    You'll be losing some heat and that section will be hot to the touch but otherwise not a danger.
    As above but I would say cover it with a blanket too. You could spray it with expanding foam to fix it. That is after reading it and making sure it is the heat resistant kind and the tank is cold at the time.
    As you are renting I'd get the LL to do it or approves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

To me it looks like someone cut that open, was there anything to access where the hole is?

It's not dangerous (if that's the only issue), you're just losing the heat in the water quicker than if it were intact.

Don't use expanding foam on it, it would be far too messy.

Ask your landlord to replace the whole casing or to patch it up, even buying a lagging jacket would do.
    http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Old-Mill-Lagging-Jacket-for-Hot-Water-Cylinder/1168/602

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You can't replace the casing. The foam can be cut back and has a solar thermal value. Lagging jacket really doesn't have the same thermal value

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

an ex gas fitter here its not the boiler but the cylinder, absolutley safe like that but it will lose heat and with a gap that size not a overly signifcant amount as a temp fix I would get a lagging jacket fold it over to fill the hole tight and keep the excess around it, secure wth tape. make sure the agency pay for the tape and jacket first!!

Advertisement