Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI: Ireland v South Africa; Aviva Stadium, Sat 10 Nov [MOD WARNING POST #1160]

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

jm08 wrote: »
    The attack coach wouldn't be working in isolation. Smal would have a input on the attack (might suggest that the lineout is a better way to attack than the scrum, or suggest using a maul, or he might suggest going wide quickly because we haven't the forwards to bash a few holes in the opposition defence).

So it's fair to say he's not responsible for how they're utilized in attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

.ak wrote: »
    So it's fair to say he's not responsible for how they're utilized in attack?

I shoud have said use/not use maul/lineout/scrum etc.

I'd imagine Smal would have said that none of these should be used in attack without Paul O'Connell, Sean O'Brien & Stevie Ferris being on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I shoud have said use/not use maul/lineout/scrum etc.

I'd imagine Smal would have said that none of these should be used in attack without Paul O'Connell, Sean O'Brien & Stevie Ferris being on the pitch.

Then he would be a crap coach.

Missing three players - two of whom are perennial sicknotes of late - should not be cause to completely abandon an offensive maul/lineout/scrum.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Then he would be a crap coach.

Missing three players - two of whom are perennial sicknotes of late - should not be cause to completely abandon an offensive maul/lineout/scrum.

I'd agree, but D Ryan or McCarthy are no Paul O'Connell or Peter O'Mahony is no Stephen Ferris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I'd agree, but D Ryan or McCarthy are no Paul O'Connell or Peter O'Mahony is no Stephen Ferris.

Just admit you're wrong and stop digging the hole deeper.

Just admit you're wrong and stop digging the hole deeper.

What am I wrong about? That POC is one of the best lineout operators in the world so it might be a good idea to use the lineout for attack or that Sean O'Brien is a better carrier than POC & POM?

I was reading an article today (can't actually remember where now), but it was an article on what Gatland is doing now in preparation for the Lions. Said he is wasting his time watching Ireland at the moment because all the likely candidates are injured!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What am I wrong about? That POC is one of the best lineout operators in the world so it might be a good idea to use the lineout for attack or that Sean O'Brien is a better carrier than POC & POM?

POC may well be one of the best lineout forwards in the world, but the idea that you stop using the lineout as an offensive weapon because he is gone is nonsense.

If the limit of Smal's coaching abilities is saying we shouldn't even bother using the lineout as an offensive weapon because we're missing our best lineout player and no one else could ever possibly come close then he's useless.

(note, I don't think that is the limit of his coaching ability. His remit is to make the lineout an offensive weapon with whatever players he is given).

Podge_irl wrote: »
    POC may well be one of the best lineout forwards in the world, but the idea that you stop using the lineout as an offensive weapon because he is gone is nonsense.

If the limit of Smal's coaching abilities is saying we shouldn't even bother using the lineout as an offensive weapon because we're missing our best lineout player and no one else could ever possibly come close then he's useless.

(note, I don't think that is the limit of his coaching ability. His remit is to make the lineout an offensive weapon with whatever players he is given).

Fair enough. I think you may have been taking my comments too litterly. But you can't have missed that the lineout was poor at the weekend.

Its a toss up who is to blame for that - the absence of POC or Smal's coaching.

Advertisement