Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World War Z (Movie)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Owryan wrote: »
    Think that was a different guy, was being interviewed about how people survived in the UK.

Dunno why, but i have it in my head that the interviewee in ireland was an army evacuee from Germany, but its years since i read the book.

yeah pretty sure you're right about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

TheUsual wrote: »
    I like the slow zombies in my films but when I saw Zombieland, I loved the cardio rule for outrunning them and the fact that everyone would probably get caught by a zombie eventually.
    Makes them a lot more of a threat to my mind anyway.

I'm a fan of runners too but don't take a good book and fcuk it up. Just make an independent movie with runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

But if memory serves me right, Ireland dodged the majority of the Zombie Apocalypse and was a bit of a safe haven for survivors.

On this, could never fully understand how Ireland managed to survive. We dont have the military or paramilitary (ie armed police) capacity to halt a large scale zombie infestation. Never mind the zombies already in power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think the 'wall' scene looks crap. It might work if the zombies were like ants or a single hive mind working together, but thousands of individuals zombies trying to climb over each other at the same time just would not work.

That said, you wouldn't believe the crap I've watched in this genre, and parts of the movie look promising. I'm not guaranteeing I'll shell out to see it in the cinema, but I might.

Owryan wrote: »

On this, could never fully understand how Ireland managed to survive. We dont have the military or paramilitary (ie armed police) capacity to halt a large scale zombie infestation. Never mind the zombies already in power

We're a relatively iow populated Island with good farming. If there was an outbreak I could see Ireland being quite a safe haven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

And why do they always have families. Children should be eaten not helivaced.

We're a relatively iow populated Island with good farming. If there was an outbreak I could see Ireland being quite a safe haven.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81649976&postcount=211

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I dont buy that . If an infection breaks out in Dublin say and 10% become zombies thats roughly 100,000 infected. The state is not capable of deploying sufficent force at the point of decision to defeat them .

A low density population is grand if the outbreak happens in a very rural area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Riamfada wrote: »

Bah! Families..who needs them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Bah! Families..who needs them!

I dunno, drop the kids or the wife if they get a bad leg or foot.

They could be handy for bait too, for a cunning trap.
    Or just send them in to clear out those hard to reach food storage fridges and attics in houses.

Zombie joke.

Steve and Mark are caught out in the middle of nowhere, when a zombie suddenly comes out and runs at them.
    Steve reaches for his bag starts putting on his Nike runners.

Mark says, “What are you doing you fool ? You can’t outrun a zombie just with some fancy runners !”
    Steve says, “I don’t have to outrun the zombie — I just have to outrun you !”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

After seeing that trailer a few more times since and after forgetting the name or the book its based I actually wouldn't mind seeing it... well that is until about 1.47 in the trailer when they arrive on the boat and Brad is asked to be the Hero in an apocalypse/world war!

I'll reserve judgement till the next glimpse of it.

What's really bugging me though is What animal is it??? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

too much cgi. I'll still watch it mind, but it would have been better if they went down the grittier 28 days later route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'll still go see it but it doesn't seem like it's going to be anyway like the book, which I absolutely loved. It just seems to share a name, going by the trailer, which is a silly thing to do anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think if the walking dead is anything to go by then slow moving zombies are boring as f*ck!

Book aside looks like a big budget zombie movie which is A OK in my books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think if the walking dead is anything to go by then slow moving zombies are boring as f*ck!

Book aside looks like a big budget zombie movie which is A OK in my books.

Heathen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

Oranage2 wrote: »

troll :D

Valid opinion, though many may disagree it's still valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I have watched one trailer and I am not going to watch anymore as I often feel they show the best part of the film and you end up expecting more and are let down.

Reading world war z at the moment and wonder how it could be made into a cohesive film that would stay as close to the book as possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Daisy M wrote: »
    I have watched one trailer and I am not going to watch anymore as I often feel they show the best part of the film and you end up expecting more and are let down.

Reading world war z at the moment and wonder how it could be made into a cohesive film that would stay as close to the book as possible?
    I think they could have picked just one story and fleshed it out to fill a film. Or have three stories that come together. Or just had a film full of interviews.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think they could have picked just one story and fleshed it out to fill a film. Or have three stories that come together. Or just had a film full of interviews.

Or in the current trend have a movie for each interview and split the last interview into two films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

ScumLord wrote: »
    Or just had a film full of interviews

Exactly, sure Brad Pitt starred in an interview style movie with flashbacks already. Not a terrible movie either, Interview with the Vampire.

That doesn't look too bad as a standalone film, it's the naming of the film bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I'm hoping that it looks so unbelievably different that its actually perfect in full....

that makes sense right?

I'm not holding out much hope. It looks like the whole premise has been changed from interviewing people after the fact to an improbable battle to find a cure and somehow stop all the billions of zombies from attacking. The fact they're looking for a cure makes it seem like they're fully in the infected 28 days later camp rather than making a zombie film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Riamfada wrote: »

A world without children. Future generations will thank us.

I haven't read the books and so I am looking forward to it.

I must try to get my hands on the book because from the way it has been described, in this and other threads, it sounds just brilliant.
    The bwarm noise annoys me too. Its already used in Sci fi and Action.

^^^ swarm not bwarm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

the world war z movie theres videogame mmorpg called world war z aswell and videogame version also base us vs the zombies, will see how this videogame movie does very well and how big audience its gets because we know how videogames movies turn out

I dont think that's the same thing. Might be The War Z you're thinking of?

• Advertisement

world war z is crap all zombie movies i saw, zombie always dum and move incredible slow and dont have ability to mobilized, so when did change the rules of nature of a zombie

Are you talking about the book World War Z or the Movie World War Z or perhaps the game I asked you about last month?

world war z movie is crap, all zombie movies i saw, zombie always dum and move incredible slow and dont have ability to mobilized, so when did change the rules of nature of a zombie

Mod: Banned for 1 week for repeatedly posting gibberish and ignoring mod instruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its getting fairly positive reviews since its screening in London recently, might be one to check out.

I cant imagine it following the book much, if any but a big budget Z movie is always welcome.

has anyone seen it yet? i seen on sky news a few days ago the premiere was in london and brad pitt and whoever else was on the red carpet but i was busy doing other things to give any more attention than that.

Not released until end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thank god I'm not in Japan, Spain or Venezuela....

On the way, looks a lot like "I am Legend" in this clip.

well, some critics have seen it already and given their reviews, some mixed ones, some bad ones but generally it's doing quite well.

Just dont expect it to be 100% cannon to the book. Have a look for yourself, some of them are interesting, especially the bad reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/world-war-z/critic-reviews

• Advertisement

what about 10%?

it's at 61% atm, which isn't bad. If ye mean what i said about being cannon, it wont be. We all know that, but i'm still looking forward to seeing a new AAA zombie film :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

It's absolutely nothing like the book.

They even make up some stuff that isn't in the book.

And it's like how Disney would have made it, as though it's afraid to be gorey, or show too much blood.

Not an abysmal movie, but it certainly could have been far better.

I loved it, it's based on the book, nothing more. I doubt anyone expected it to be 100% canon to Max Brook's books.

Comparing it to a Disney film is going dramatically overboard tbh.
    It's tense all the way through, it gives an excellent apocalyptic feel without overdoing the details, or making a documentary of it, it was always going to be a film with drama and tension. It had one thing that no other zombie film has, a proper end. The action sequences are great, plenty of zeke and different enough from the book to not know exactly what's about to happen from one scene to the next.

book spoiler
    No battle of Yonkers.

The way i see it is, and the way i think it should be seen is to use the books as guide, the film isn't a literal translation of them, but it paints a very good picture of the imagery Brook's scribbled down in WWZ and TZSG.

Yes it does have sprinters, and yes there are non-canon plot points but it's good. Dont let yourself be swayed by my opinion of it or anyone else's, see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Saw this over the weekend, and it was pretty poor imho. I knew going in that it would be nothing like the books, but it was just going from one set piece to another. I read a review (forget where) that describes it as a video game, except that you don't get to control it.

Very disappointing overall for me.

Having said all the of the above, the set pieces were done well, and the action was pretty good. Just to bad that I didn't really care about any of the characters and there plight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Seen it last night and I really enjoyed it. Wish it was a bit longer though to be honest. It was a bit rushed!

• Advertisement

seems to have done well enough at the box office to have had a sequel announced already..

source

I think people went just to see if it was the train wreck it was being made out to be.

We'll have to see if it continues success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I took my daughter and her two friends to see it during the week, the two that don't belong to me loved it, but their only experience of zombies up until recently was a few games and walking dead, and Shaun of the dead. (I did show them braindead, zombieland and a couple of the dead movies)
    My girl has read the book, watched many movies, and thought same as me, it was based on the book, loosely, but someone liked the idea but decided to happy it up a bit.
    Zombies were good, action was good, story was lacking a bit, could have been so much more, very rushed to the cure bit.
    Ok if you go looking at it as a entertaining easy watch movie, real zombie fans may find it a bit too homogenised.
    Not what we hoped.

Oh also, they all agreed not enough gore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

meh..sunday afternoon viewing. It was alright as a Zombie film, as other posters have mentioned terrible as a film adaptation of Max Brooks WWZ. Not enough Gore, didn't really see the point in having
    Greggs family involved at all, a lot of wasted screen time after they were rescued
    a lot of convenient plot holes, didn't like the towers of dead. The South Korean scene and the Lab scenes were very cool however.

But over all worth a watch for any Zombie Film lover!

I tried to give this film a chance. some of the set pieces were nice but it was a film written around those few scenes.

It just doesn't make any sense, one minute everythings fine next minute half the population of the globe is zombies, at least in 28 days later they foresaw that it was impossible for a disease that overcomes the host in 12 seconds to get on a plane and travel to another country unnoticed. They effectively bastardised the 28 days later infected ignored logic and created an impossibly ridiculous story based what scored highly with 10 year old boys.

The whole thing was a money making racket to cash in on WWZ by creating something the exact opposite from the book. Brad Pitts performance was half arsed at best, the zombies were annoying more than scary, the avoidance of gore was unmissable, not just that there was no gore but that they tried their best to hide it by having the camera look away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement