Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stock Photography

• 09-11-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭

Does anybody on boards submit/make money from stock photography? As an exercise (in futility?) I applied to iStockphoto and eventually got accepted. I uploaded the sum total of 5 shots (I won't mention how many they rejected) and over the period of about a year managed to earn the princely sum of $3.50.

I'm guessing its either a mugs game or its a question of numbers - i.e. you need a few hundred accepted shots before you start to earn any noticeable amount.

Can anybody offer any advice/recommendations (other than "I've seen your work - give up photography") :-)

Adrian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I've made a few quid through Getty, but I think you'd need thousands in the library to make anything out of it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Does anybody on boards submit/make money from stock photography? As an exercise (in futility?) I applied to iStockphoto and eventually got accepted. I uploaded the sum total of 5 shots (I won't mention how many they rejected) and over the period of about a year managed to earn the princely sum of $3.50.

I'm guessing its either a mugs game or its a question of numbers - i.e. you need a few hundred accepted shots before you start to earn any noticeable amount.

Can anybody offer any advice/recommendations (other than "I've seen your work - give up photography") :-)

Adrian

All you need is time and huge portfolio.
    Submit different photographs and different subjects.
    Food, people, editorial content is desiderable.
    Also take a look here for more details.
    Stock market is not easy and it require a lot of hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Since there are a plethora of photographers who tend to be really good, the market have really made the prices of stock photos so low that you would have to probably have to have a large catalogue behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Adrian
    My dads been involved in stock photography for 35 years or so.. If you want i can pm you his email he'll give you the best advice he can.
    if you want. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Snowie wrote: »
    My dads been involved in stock photography for 35 years or so.. If you want i can pm you his email he'll give you the best advice he can.
    if you want. :)

even i want :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

sebphoto wrote: »

even i want :)

Leave it with me :) as I may have an idea that could suit every one :) and a lot less time consuming for every one!

Bare with me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've looked into this in the past and it seemed to be a game of numbers that you really have to commit to. A lot of hard with no guaranteed return at the end.

On the other hand you could build a portfolio passively over a number of years before submitting them. This is more long game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I have done okay through Getty this year.

Like HughC said you would need to have a lot licensed through them to make serious money out of it.

one of my contacts on flickr who is based in Dublin
    seems to do very well through Getty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was at a talk by a member of Tallaght camera club who is very successful with Getty - see her portfolio here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/catmacbride/sets/72157621934251014/

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

bullpost wrote: »
    Was at a talk by a member of Tallaght camera club who is very successful with Getty - see her portfolio here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/catmacbride/sets/72157621934251014/

That's who i was referring to!!:D
    she is very creative and its no surprise that she does so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You also have to consider what people look for on stock sites. For the most part they'll probably be making brochures for companies so no matter how good your landscape looks it's not going to attract someone looking for a boring picture of people in an office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Leave it with me :) as I may have an idea that could suit every one :) and a lot less time consuming for every one!

I wait, with bated breath :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

there's loads of article on it, best sites, key words to use (even a great site that will suggest key words for your images).
    You can get lucky- I have about 10-20 images on getty, ESPN EMEA bought 1 for 2 years in a row for internet/tv usage. I got about 150 each year from it. but this is the exception.

some other sites where people can buy your work on canvas etc can be good but I suppose that's not stock photography, kind of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Would be interested in hearing this as well please!

Advertisement