Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question Regarding Grades.

Options
  • 09-11-2012 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm in my degree year. I'm taking a level 1 language from the applied language center.
    I was told by the lecturer that 90% is an A in the class. I'm just wondering if that's her way of grading or the applied language center and how does it work with GPA and UCD general grading as outlined in the pdf in the link

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

I assume if I get over 76.67% I'll get a 4.2 gpa in the module? (even if she would say that it'd be a C+ or -B)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I don't know whether or not it's to do with the lecturer or the Applied Language centre, but your module is following a different grading scheme.

MATH and STAT modules follow an alternate system also, so I'm gonna assume hers is the same.
    Usually A- is 70%-73.32%, A is 73.33%-76.66%, and A+ is 76.67%-100%
    But in the alternate system, A- is 70%-80%, A is 80%-90%, and A+ is 90% to 100%

When she says that you need over 90% to get an A (I'm assuming she means A+), then that's literally what she means.
    So that means if you want to get a GPA of 4.2 in the module, you'll have to get an A+ as always, but she gives out A+s to those with results over 90%

As an example, if you got 76.67% in the module, which would normally be an A+ in other modules, it would be an A- in that module.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Well I got 85% in the mid-term and got a B+ in the midterm. I questioned and she said you need to get 90% + to get an A (which does follow -A, A and A+)

Is it safe to assume then that my grading has to follow the MATH or STAT system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I don't know whether or not it's to do with the lecturer or the Applied Language centre, but your module is following a different grading scheme.

MATH and STAT modules follow an alternate system also, so I'm gonna assume hers is the same.
    Usually A- is 70%-73.32%, A is 73.33%-76.66%, and A+ is 76.67%-100%
    But in the alternate system, A- is 70%-80%, A is 80%-90%, and A+ is 90% to 100%

When she says that you need over 90% to get an A (I'm assuming she means A+), then that's literally what she means.
    So that means if you want to get a GPA of 4.2 in the module, you'll have to get an A+ as always, but she gives out A+s to those with results over 90%

As an example, if you got 76.67% in the module, which would normally be an A+ in other modules, it would be an A- in that module.

Since when did MATH & STAT do that? I took a STAT module alst year, got 83 and an A+, and while it was 2008 last time I took a MATH course I remember it being along the lines of normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I did two MATH modules in 2010-2011, and they were like that.
    Doing a STAT one this year and it's like that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Crow92 wrote: »
    Well I got 85% in the mid-term and got a B+ in the midterm. I questioned and she said you need to get 90% + to get an A (which does follow -A, A and A+)

Is it safe to assume then that my grading has to follow the MATH or STAT system?

I did a computers module last year that was 95% for an A+ and 90 for an A, 85 for a B+ etc...but it was only for the continuous assessment component. It would be quite hard to get an A if you had to get 90, particularly in a language module.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

There's a lot of grey area around the STAT module grading this year.

Previously it could be graded according to the MATH grading scheme, ie 90% for an A+ but it was at the lecturers discretion.

This year they tried to bring it in as standard and met a lot of opposition (particularly from the BAFS degree as our exemptions from the Actuarial professional exams are determined by GPA) so it's been postponed, or scrapped, I'm not really sure - all I know is it won't apply to us this year.

It could be that its still at the lecturers discretion.

There you go, there's your useless piece of information for the day :)

I'm getting slightly confused, mainly due to not knowing anything about math and stat gradings, my modules always follow 70% is an A etc.

I'm just wondering if I get over 76.67% in this module will I get a 4.2 gpa regardless of what they say the percentage of an A is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Crow92 wrote: »
    I'm getting slightly confused, mainly due to not knowing anything about math and stat gradings, my modules always follow 70% is an A etc.

I'm just wondering if I get over 76.67% in this module will I get a 4.2 gpa regardless of what they say the percentage of an A is.

What module is it if you don't mind my asking? Best to check with your lecturer to be safe.

Basically you won't get 4.2 for that module unless you get an A+, be that at 76.67% or 90%.

This is why our class went mental :)

It's italian level 1 through the applied language center.
    That's a bit crap to hear, better start studying a bit more so.

Advertisement