Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Lights

Options
  • 09-11-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'm looking to erect outdoor Christmas lights this year. Is there an easy way.of.doing this.? Or what do I need ? By the way I dont.want.to.use.solar lights. Its my son's first xmas so I wanna mark it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You might want to give a bit more info on what you plan to do, or what advice your looking for?

Have you any power outside etc

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

There is no power outside. I am looking for outdoor power solutions. Wanna run outdoor lights on some trees!

Davy wrote: »
    You might want to give a bit more info on what you plan to do, or what advice your looking for?

Have you any power outside etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Your best to go for led lights, they are low voltage and are usually fine outside. The transformer normally goes inside the house the run the low voltage cable out.

The low voltage cables can usually be run through a window and the window closed on them as they are thin. If you need to extend the cables just use some bell wire on the lv side.

If you have some trees, a net of lights will probably work well.

"Bell wire on the lv side" what do you mean ?

Your best to go for led lights, they are low voltage and are usually fine outside. The transformer normally goes inside the house the run the low voltage cable out.

The low voltage cables can usually be run through a window and the window closed on them as they are thin. If you need to extend the cables just use some bell wire on the lv side.

If you have some trees, a net of lights will probably work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dad11 wrote: »
    "Bell wire on the lv side" what do you mean ?

A transformer (adaptor) plugs into the wall inside the house.

By lv, he means low voltage, although in electrical terms, its actually elv (extra low voltage). So bell wire can be used to extend the wire from the 230v wall adaptor low voltage output, to the led lights.

I do exactly that myself when putting led lights on a small tree in the front garden. Although I used speaker wire to extend.

And just close the window on it as DD said also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Bell wire is usually what's used to wire up a door bell, hence the name. Its very cheap in any hardware. also its very flat, so you can close the window over on it.

You'll probably be able to buy some lights, with a nice long cable, so might not need to extend with bell wire at all.

But if you do need to extend them you can use block connectors to join the cables and maybe put the joint in an Obo box (http://spydercctvcameras.ie/img/shop/AA-00155_001.jpg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Premier have released battery powered outdoor lights that last 30 days on twinkle mode they come on for 8 hours and off for 16 the same time everyday .

Set of 200 are around €59

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Premier have released battery powered outdoor lights that last 30 days on twinkle mode they come on for 8 hours and off for 16 the same time everyday .

any link or pics????;):D

400 LED lights from Lidl on a large 12 foot tall real christamss tree in the front garden.

Lights plugged into an MK outdoor socket and on a digital timer.

Thats what I do.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    400 LED lights from Lidl on a large 12 foot tall real christamss tree in the front garden.

Lights plugged into an MK outdoor socket and on a digital timer.

Thats what I do.:)

I made up a light sensor switch year before last for outdoor led tree lights. Its actually a lead and socket, with LDR and relay circuit i threw together, in it.

Didnt use it last year but it will be back in action this time.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I made up a light sensor switch year before last for outdoor led tree lights. Its actually a lead and socket, with LDR and relay circuit i threw together, in it.

Didnt use it last year but it will be back in action this time.

Sounds good.

Now you know why I wanted the outdoor double sockets in the front and back gardens....(you advized me on that thread.:))

Christmass time and also for using any gardening tools.:D

Sounds good.

Now you know why I wanted the outdoor double sockets in the front and back gardens....(you advized me on that thread.:))

Christmass time and also for using any gardening tools.:D

Yes the outdoor sockets can be handy alright.

Where would I buy these ?

How easy is it to install the below

Masterplug WP21 13A 1-Gang Storm Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Socket Double Pole IP66 Rated
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004S62MQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

Yes the outdoor sockets can be handy alright.

How easy is it to install the below

Masterplug WP21 13A 1-Gang Storm Weatherproof Outdoor Switched Socket Double Pole IP66 Rated
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004S62MQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

You would need to T-Off an existing internal socket and drill a hole out to the outside wall.Use 2.5 T&E Nymj out to new socket location.Put a fused switch spur on aswell,so you can isolate the power to the outdoor socket,when its not in use.

Or you can hard wire it back to the mains fuseboard and rcd it.

The latter is what I did.

The key for me is minimum fuss and disruption! So feed off existing socket is they.way to go I think

You would need to T-Off an existing internal socket and drill a hole out to the outside wall.Use 2.5 T&E Nymj out to new socket location

Or hard wire it back to the mains fuseboard and rcd it.

The latter is what I did.

The key for me is minimum fuss and disruption! So feed off existing socket is they.way to go I think

Pics added to above post.

The neon fused switch is for turnig off power to the external socket.

That way no one else can "avail" of power for free off you..when you are not around.

Woodies have the lights in stock .
    Here's what I do

Those premier lights are specifically for use outdoor ? Nice.pics!!!!

Here's what I do

• Advertisement

Indoor and outdoor

Here's what I do

Are you Clark Griswald by any chance???:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ar-__ub0rc&feature=related

It's first Christmas with my son he was born in January this year.and wanna.mark.it by doing a little something nice!

I tend to keep it plain and simple.

A 12 foot real Xmass tree out in the front garden with the white Led lights,hand made wreath on the front door and an 8 foot real tree with plain white led lights in the window of the sitting room.

no hahah but that's a reduction in the amount that's put up !
    God I remember checking light bulbs and cords before they released LEDs .. Kinda miss it

I certainly dont miss trying to find a blown bulb in a string or 200+ flashing lights.:(:D

Thank god for led lights::)

I certainly dont miss trying to find a blown bulb in a string or 200+ flashing lights.:(:D

I know, an absolute pain in the back side that.

I know, an absolute pain in the back side that.

Years upon years ago,when my mother would be decorating the tree in the family home and the lights were not working propperly...guess who would get the job of finding the blown bulb or bulbs??

Thats what I got for asking can I help?:pac::D

Years upon years ago,when my mother would be decorating the tree in the family home and the lights were not working propperly...guess who would get the job of finding the blown bulb or bulbs??

Thats what I got for asking can I help?:pac::D

I went and got the led ones myself about 3 years ago because I was fed up looking for blown bulbs every year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement