Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever fancy owning your own street in Clonmel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Cerbera wrote: »
    Well now you can.

The entire Market Place street is being auctioned at the next distressed property auction on December 4th so you still have time to crack open the piggy banks and count out all the coppers and see if you can afford it.

More info here ..... http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/market-place-clonmel-up-for-sale-666399-Nov2012/

Very interesting information posted here.

I wonder if anyone can say what the total value of the annual rates on these properties payable to Clonmel Borough Council is.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

I have heard about dead shopping malls in the US which were built with great optimism and have, for various reasons,died a death.

(See Deadmalls for some more information)

Now we have them in Ireland. Rathdowney has closed,though it was in terminal decline from the moment it opened, and now Clonmel is adding to the list.

cml387 wrote: »
    I have heard about dead shopping malls in the US which were built with great optimism and have, for various reasons,died a death.

(See Deadmalls for some more information)

Now we have them in Ireland. Rathdowney has closed,though it was in terminal decline from the moment it opened, and now Clonmel is adding to the list.

I was in Clonmel a few weeks ago and it frightened me to see the decline in a town that was buzzing not so long ago. A real real shame. I hope the comeback is on. Hadnt heard about Rathdowney but to be honest i come from a similar sized village in Tipp off the beaten track and i can understand how time caught up with it not that it looked booming to begin with.

As for Market Place. I can remember it opened circa 1993/1994. Terrible to see what was a bit of an epicentre decline so much.

I can remember around in clonmel as a 14 year old while the 1998 world cup was on and looking back at it then you never think you would see the day this would come.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was in Clonmel a few weeks ago and it frightened me to see the decline in a town that was buzzing not so long ago. A real real shame. I hope the comeback is on. Hadnt heard about Rathdowney but to be honest i come from a similar sized village in Tipp off the beaten track and i can understand how time caught up with it not that it looked booming to begin with.

As for Market Place. I can remember it opened circa 1993/1994. Terrible to see what was a bit of an epicentre decline so much.

I can remember around in clonmel as a 14 year old while the 1998 world cup was on and looking back at it then you never think you would see the day this would come.

Haven't been in Clonmel town centre in years but I'm surprised to read this...I remember it as a vibrant enough kinda place. Could it be all the out of town centres and Tesco have sucked life out of the place?
    Is Superquinn still operating in the town centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Its actually terrible to see a whole street up for sale. The rents and rates associated with this street have helped to bring it to its knees. What really needed to be put on this street is a major anchor tenant like Penney's or Argos not Superquinn.

Then again Tesco moving away from Gladstone Street to the relief road did not help should have been expanded and mary street car park turned into a multi story car park.

The town planners, council and local busy bodies who objected to everything have a lot to answer for in Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Sadly every town and city in the country is declining and Markey Place is another exampe of this. Still compared to nearby Limerick and Waterford Clonmel Town centre's vacancy rates are lower so perspective is perhaps needed. O Connell St is as fine a main street as you will find in any town with the Main Guard and the West Gate at either end and plenty of chain and independent shops dotted throughout. The loss of Tesco to the bypass is regrettable but Superquinn are still in the Town Centre and as towns go Clonmel has the best variety of supermarkets I know i.e. Dunnes x 3, M&S, Lidl, ALDI,Supervalue, Tesco, Superquinn. Fantastic choice when you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

It sold today for less than €1m.

I'm sure more details will appear on the papers / online tomorrow.

Cerbera wrote: »
    It sold today for less than €1m.

I'm sure more details will appear on the papers / online tomorrow.

Just for the record I believe the price was 920,000 Euro which was bid over the telephone. So here is looking forward to the streets regeneration.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What would locals hope to see arrive at Market Place? As in what sort of retailers/services etc.

Clonmel strikes me as the sort of town that could do very well with some clever choices of new retailers/services, and that has a very good catchment area that has not been taken advantage of properly as of yet.

It would be a help if toilet facilities were provided in the Rail and CIE Bus Eireann depot.I also think that private bus companies should be allowed to use this depot for a small fee. The extra traffic could make it viable for someone to lease a café on the location.

• Advertisement
Advertisement