Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plugged in items drawing power to them but turned off, (not standby mode)

Options
  • 09-11-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Just curious. I have heaters plugged into the mains BUT they are switched off totally. But I assume there is still power actually running through the cable to the heater but goes no further then the on switch. Now I leave a lot of things plugged in this way (not stand by). Does power running to the heaters etc through their own flex from the mains use a small amount of power. Should one physically unplug them if not being used every day or does it make a difference? A friend of mine routinely pulls out every plug in the house at night time to save power despite the items being off:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Nothing will use electricity unless it is turned on.If the heaters have a timer they will use a miniscule amount of electricity to power the timer,but its so small its not even worth considering.

Its the same situation with shower pull cords and cookers switches. There really is no need to keep turning them on and off but people do it anyway.

Items on standby will use power but again,very small amounts. The likes of TVs will have a label stating how much power they draw when on standby.

I leave nothing on standby but I leave my shower and cooker switches on all the time and I just switch off sockets with plugs left in them.

Advertisement