Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA country of birth puzzler

Options
  • 09-11-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Applying for ESTA on behalf of someone born in Northern Ireland but who has Irish citizenship and is traveling on her Irish Passport. Without getting political ;-) , what country do they expect to be put into the Country of Birth field? They only offer UK and Ireland, no option to put in N. Ireland.

This person's Irish passport shows Place of Birth simply as the county in N. Ireland where they were born. I.e., it just says "Down".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

frost wrote: »
    Applying for ESTA on behalf of someone born in Northern Ireland but who has Irish citizenship and is traveling on her Irish Passport. Without getting political ;-) , what country do they expect to be put into the Country of Birth field? They only offer UK and Ireland, no option to put in N. Ireland.

This person's Irish passport shows Place of Birth simply as the county in N. Ireland where they were born. I.e., it just says "Down".

Well, the last time I checked Northern Ireland was in the UK :p so for Country of Birth she needs to select "UK". I'm sure if you look they don't have separate entries for Wales, England and Scotland either; they all come under the umbrella of the United Kingdom. Not sure what's so confusing tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

Well, the last time I checked Northern Ireland was in the UK :p so for Country of Birth she needs to select "UK". I'm sure if you look they don't have separate entries for Wales, England and Scotland either; they all come under the umbrella of the United Kingdom. Not sure what's so confusing tbh!

Yeah I was confused because NI isnt part of GB, but IS part of UK. My excuse is Im not a local ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Place of birth doesn't change regardless of what passport you use.........I travel on a US passport, but my place of birth is always going to be Ireland

Advertisement