Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Rights

Options
  • 09-11-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am currently living in a house with 5 other people, the house is rented as a whole but we just pay weekly for our rooms. Last night my house mates had a party and the house is absolutely wrecked and my room has been damaged by them.

I was not here at the time and I wish to move out immediately as I do not feel safe in the house. I was wondering would anybody be able to help me out and let me know would I be entitled to my deposit back when I move out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you have a joint lease with all of your names on it then its not going to be as easy as just moving out. Id say your best bet would be to get in touch with the landlord and discuss the possibility of reassigning your portion of the lease to another tenant. Provided you can find a suitable candidate then I see no reason to think that you cannot be allowed to leave the lease.

You are however as responsible for any damage done to the house as your other housemates are, so as far as your deposit goes this may have to be taken into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Regardless of if you pay weekly or monthly the house has been rented as a whole, I presume you are all on the same lease, therefore if this is the case then I cant see you getting your deposit back tbh until the lease is up and you all either leave therefore get your deposits back or the individuals who want to stay sign a new lease with different housemates and the ones who dont want to renew get deposits back.

I suppose you could find someone to take over your room and their deposit would be yours back, however as their is damage to the house the landlord is well within their rights to deduct monies from deposits to put right any damage done you may be screwing this person out of their deposit when they went even living there.

If you feel comfortable enough with talking to the LL about said matter then do so and maybe an agreement can be made between you two but legally they dont have to give you any money back if you are breaking a lease early.

Advertisement