Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detox/Fitness/retreat holidays

• 09-11-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Anyone ever do anything like this?

Have a few weeks free coming up and I've been looking into something like this. Theres a few boot camp thingys in the UK but all a bit pricey.
    Any retreat/detox places here just emphasize the use of fruit and vege stuff...all a bit pointless if you want to balance your blood sugars (ie undo any damage youve been doing!). Theres nowhere that seems to say we will feed you good fats and protein!

I'm probably asking too much! And before anyone says "why dont you stop wasting your money and just do it yourself?" then then answer is "Why not! If I have the money and the time, theres worse I could be spending it on!"

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

This is because 'Any retreat/detox places here just emphasize the use of fruit and vege stuff...' are all a bit on the 'we don't actually want you to get healthy so we will throw some pseudo-sciencey lingo at you while we cover you with mud and stick a tube up your bum'

A 'detox' retreat isn't actually necessary for your body as you have organs which, given the right long term lifestyle, will completely clean out your body on a daily basis.

I would say "why dont you stop wasting your money and just do it yourself?" but i suspect you all ready know all of this.

Have you looked into something like an adventure holiday? rock climbing, white water rafting? etc. you're probably more likely to enjoy your self on something like that than at a massage spa, and much more likely to meet people who want to treat their bodies in a more realistically healthy way and not put cold coffee up their bums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Anyone any updates on this please. Looking for something with. Detox/ well balanced diet exercise and relaxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

niceoneted wrote: »
    Anyone any updates on this please. Looking for something with. Detox/ well balanced diet exercise and relaxation.

Go to the Mediterranean somewhere. Run, cycle, swim in ocean and eat like the locals. Get a ride or two and have a glass or two of wine.

Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I am Fb friends with a guy who went on a trip to the Algarve with this group, sounded brilliant

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fighting-fit-bootcamp/183990731744076

Seamas said he'd be organising more trips in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There's no such thing as a detox, its just marketing spiel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Unless you've been bitten by a snake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I did a Bootcamp week in the UK with this Group

Apples and Pears Retreat.

It was in Devon, there was a lot of exercise, healthy eating, interspaced with Motivational talks etc. The food was not detox, but focussed on healthy.

I also did a week a couple of years later with a Group Called NI Bootcamp. We stayed in a beautiful cottage at the foot of the Mourne Mountains. Again, a fantastic week.

both were tough, but Brilliant.

Would recommend both of them. They are pricey but the program was excellent. When I got back to work after the week, I got lots of comments on my appearance, but my mood was lifted through the roof.

I would also love to do a week on the JuiceMaster's detox in either Portugal or Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Thanks everyone so far for the info. Anewme would you recommend one over the other of the two camps you have been too. They are very similar in price but of course I could drive to the one in N Ire where as I would have to get flights and transfers to the UK based ones. Mind you the NI one seems to be 5 full days where as the one in the UK is 6 full days.
    NI bootcamp doesn't have a lot of info on food served or the accommodation unlike the apples and pears places - I loved the look of there places and menu. So I was just wondering what you thought of NI Bootcamp in this regard.

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I had a quick look at the NI Bootcamp site and it looks like you have to register your interest for them to get a group together, so there are not set dates this year, unlike Apples and Pears. So that's a plus for A&P

I did the Devon retreat with apples and pears but it was a different house to the one they have now.

Accomodationwise, I actually preferred the NI Bootcamp, basic, simple, plain, back to nature - look up Torybush cottages, the accomodation in Apples and Pears is way more luxurious, but the views of the Mourne Mountains was simply breathtaking.

Food was excellent in both, healthy, nutritious, tasty.

A plus for Apples and Pears is some of the evening activities, ie, they had a motivational speaker one evening in one of the nutrition talks, who was just excellent. Enjoyed the cookery demonstrations too. The pool is a plus as well if you like a swimming pool, ( I dont) its tough enough to get up at 7am, so doing aqua aerobics in a nice warm pool, may be preferable to lifting logs in NI, but the sunrise over the Mourne Mountains was simply spectacular.

As regards activites, both had an extremely long hike, one up Slieve Comeragh in NI and the other across the cliffs of Devon.

Both are well run, professional, Ian and Anna in NI are lovely as is Katie Duncan.

I enjoyed some of the more varied activites in NI, like canoeing, rock climbing and the day in Tollymore was fantastic. quite a lot of team building stuff which is excellent.

There is quite a bit of kit to take, so it was more comfortable to stuff everything into the boot of the car and head off up the road to Co. Down, than lug everything on a plane.

Also a lot can depend on your group, I bonded better with the gang on NI bootcamp, maybe because they were Irish, not sure.

Any more questions, please PM me, I enjoyed both, would go again tomorrow to either.

I lost about 4 or 5 lbs on both in a week I reckon. Since then I've lost a stone and a half myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I've been to club la Santa in lanzarote a good view times. It's a sports camp where you can do everything from yoga, exercise classes, cycling to surfing. It's self catering so you can make your own healthy food. Probably not exactly what your looking for, but I always come back from club la Santa completely revitalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Delphi Mountain Resort over in the wilds of the west is a good place for a bit of R&R with the option of a load of activities. Phone reception is pretty rubbish as well. Bonus!

Advertisement