Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kitten Advice

• 09-11-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

Got two new kittens earlier in the week. They are both about 9 weeks old. And they're settling in nicely after being initially strange with their new surroundings. During the day when my wife and are at work we leave them in the bathroom downstairs with food, drink, a bed and the cat litter. They have full access to the hallway also but I have blocked off all potential hazards e.g. toilet, stairs, etc. so that they can come to no harm. They are getting on grand with this arrangement.

Anyway at the moment it looks like both myself and my wife have to go up the country tomorrow morning and will not be back til Sunday afternoon. So I am just looking for advice on what to do with the kittens til we get back. I know it's only 24 hours but we will be worried about them. What I was thinking about doing was leaving them in the garage with litter, food, drink, bed, etc. and asking my neighbour (who has cats) to check on them a couple of times while we are gone. She can top up their food, clean the litter, etc. My wife is concerned that the will be cold during the night but I explained to her that cats don't feel the cold like we do and that as long as the have plenty of blankets and each other to snuggle into they will be grand. Am I wrong? My main concern would be that the garage would be a new surroundings for them after only settling in to their current one.

Are we over thinking this situation out of proportion and would the kittens be grand in the gargage being checked on by a neighbour? Would really apreciate some advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Could you ask your neighbour to pop in a hot water bottle in their bed on the last visit to keep them warm overnight? Everything else you have said sounds good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Cats do feel the cold, they love being warm. I personally wouldn't leave them in the garage. If it's only 24 hrs I would leave them in the surroundings they feel safe in and have gotten used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

if it's just 24 hours and they're only small I'd leave them in the bathroom. It's a bit pokey but at least it's warm and kitty proofed.

It's also going to be easy to clean up any accidents if they happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Please don't put them in garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

if it's just 24 hours and they're only small I'd leave them in the bathroom. It's a bit pokey but at least it's warm and kitty proofed.

It's also going to be easy to clean up any accidents if they happen.

I second that the kittens cant do much damage in a bathroom make sure the toilet seat is down :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Cats and dogs absolutely feel the cold like we do, it's a common misconception that because they have fur they are much warmer than we are outside in the cold when in fact it's pretty much the same when we have clothes on as it is for them with their fur.

If it was two older cats then it would probably be okay to leave them in the garage. But younger animals have much more difficulty with thermoregulation. The bathroom might be small but I think they would be better off in there just in case.

Advertisement