Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galleyhead Lighthouse

Options
  • 09-11-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, does anyone here know if there is public access to Galleyhead Lighthouse?

We went for a Sunday drive a few weeks back and came upon the road which leads up to Galleyhead Lighthouse. However, before you get to the lighthouse there appears to be some private property surrounded by some old stone walls. There are private property signs at the entrance to the house and as far as I could see there was no alternative route to access the lighthouse.

Is the lighthouse privately owned now? I googled it and there are various details available about the lighthouse on-line but I couldn't find any information wrt public access.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

i presume (actually I'm sure) the lighthouse is still owned by the commissioner of lights. I know too that you can rent out the keepers cottage (hidden ireland ore the blue book I think) so the answer is no, it is not private. I know you virtually drive through someones farmyard to get there but I have certainly gone there a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its private property. The lighthouse is owned by the comissioner of lighthouses or the irish landmarks trust and they have access rights through a farm so the lighthouse keeper, guests, cleaners etc are allowed up.

However a few dozen people tresspass and walk through to the lighthouse each day so the landowners dont mind so long as people dont go onto the farmland or fish from the cliff side. When you go up the lighthouse areas gate may or may not be locked.

http://www.irishlandmark.com/property-listings/Galley-Head-Lightkeepers-House-2.aspx

if u wanted to rent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mountain

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Its private property. The lighthouse is owned by the comissioner of lighthouses or the irish landmarks trust and they have access rights through a farm so the lighthouse keeper, guests, cleaners etc are allowed up.

However a few dozen people tresspass and walk through to the lighthouse each day so the landowners dont mind so long as people dont go onto the farmland or fish from the cliff side. When you go up the lighthouse areas gate may or may not be locked.

As long as you close all gates behind you, you will be ok,
    try and get there on a clear day as it really is worth while

Advertisement