Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scumbags tried to steal my bike last night..

• 09-11-2012 11:20am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was awoken this morning by the police at my door. Some f*cking scummers tried to steal the 749 last night. They did not get it but they did a proper job ripping the ignition out and went to town on the tank as well. Ironically the problems I had been having with a rapidly discharging battery meant they could not start it so they could not ride it away...

I live in an apartment block in a nice quiet part of south Dublin. The cops said they have not seena spout of this in some time and they have an idea who might have done it - they need to check who's been let out of the joy recently lol. Mates in work tell me there were break ins in neaby apartment blocks last night as well. So there might be a gang at it.

Anyway they also had a go at a BMW 650f and might have got away on another bike. A fireblade was not touched.

Make sure to take extra care locking up. My bike is kinda away for the winter now anyway as I just got a new car, but now I have to worry about getting it fixed etc. It's insured fully comp but not sure if it's worth claiming - no idea how much it will cost though.

Anyone else had the same or heard similar recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

****ers.

she in an underground or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Glad to hear they could not get it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah in a gated underground carpark. They waited until someone went in, snook in and then taped the sensors to keep the gates open

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

fcukers

what kind of security u got on her...locks? alarms? ...all the bits??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cause it's in a carpark I can't install a ground anchor - but I might scream at the management to do it now. It's got an alarm and immobiliser but I did not have a lock on it. I figure if they want it they are going to take it anyway. The other bmw had a big lock they still want to town on that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

At least you still have your bike. Is there anything to lock your bike to? I have the bike in an UG carpark and have an almax chain on it. Ok, if they want the bike they'll take it, but they pretty much need a grinder to take that lock off and that will attract attention.
    Pure scum, annoying that you can't have anything decent without knackers trying to take it :mad:
    Remember hearing about a ducati 999 that was stolen, a guy told me that when the scumbags were finished with it they taped the throttle open at full revs and just left it to see what would happen.

BTW, where's kamikaze, they didn't want the blade :D

Pr1cks in liberty insurance say my step back no claims will lose me 3 years! And a €250 excess. I might be better paying for it myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Zascar wrote: »
    Pr1cks in liberty insurance say my step back no claims will lose me 3 years! And a €250 excess. I might be better paying for it myself..

This is one of the reasons that I hate insurance companies in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

As Cienciano said even if you don't have a ground anchor try and chain it to something solid, hoepfully that will put them off and go to another bike, i know you said they tried the BMW which was locked but i would lock it to something anyway as an extra deterrent.

Thank god they didn't get it in the end but its a pain having to try and get it fixed now, as you said go back to the management company and highlight this incident and request permission to install a ground anchor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Unless the bike is written off or stolen, you're probably going to end up paying for it yourself. If you try and claim off the insurance company, the pricks will make you pay more in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Keep an eye out for the next couple of weeks too in case they come back for it.

We lived in a gated apartment block earlier this year and I found my flatmate's CBR had been tampered with, someone had tried to drill out the ignition. We reckon they got spooked because they were a couple of mm away from drilling it out.

He got it fixed that week and was waiting on a wheel lock to arrive. They came back for it a couple of weeks later and went at it again, this time they got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Scum!

I hope it doesn't end you costing you too much Zascar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I was awoken this morning by the police at my door. Some f*cking scummers tried to steal the 749 last night. They did not get it but they did a proper job ripping the ignition out and went to town on the tank as well. Ironically the problems I had been having with a rapidly discharging battery meant they could not start it so they could not ride it away...

I live in an apartment block in a nice quiet part of south Dublin. The cops said they have not seena spout of this in some time and they have an idea who might have done it - they need to check who's been let out of the joy recently lol. Mates in work tell me there were break ins in neaby apartment blocks last night as well. So there might be a gang at it.

Anyway they also had a go at a BMW 650f and might have got away on another bike. A fireblade was not touched.

Make sure to take extra care locking up. My bike is kinda away for the winter now anyway as I just got a new car, but now I have to worry about getting it fixed etc. It's insured fully comp but not sure if it's worth claiming - no idea how much it will cost though.

Dunno what to say...chin up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Gutted for you man I really am, I really dont know what we actual pay insurance for. If it were me I would do extra ****in damge and get a new bike at this rate.....

I had an attempt on my bike about 6 months ago and they could not take it as the steering lock blocked the screws for the tank to come off, they got one out. ( I guess they were trying to get to the battery for the alarm) I slept in the back room for 4 weeks with my clothes on and the window open slighty to hear the lightest sounds but they never came back. There has been an huge surplus of bike thefts lately and most are underground believe it or not.

Hope you get it sorted cheaply as possible.

Cheers lads, appreciated. Mechanic said cause of the immobiliser they never would have got it started anyway...Hopefully I can get a way with a new ignition barrell - but not sure. Tank is scratched to **** though so might need a new one. These things never happen at a good time so I may leave the new tank will next year. I had kinda put the bike away for the winter anyway, but I don't want them coming back to try to nick it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

P.C. wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons that I hate insurance companies in Ireland.

:rolleyes:...its a piece of pi$$ these days....anyone remember when there was only Norwich union..:mad:......I'm payin less these days for 3 bikes now than when i started off....count yer blessings..

Gutted for Zascar......at least they didnt get away with yer bike..love the 749..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

scumbags, hope it doesn't cost you too much to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Delighted the thieving wasters didn't get your bike Zascar, although the insurers don't cover themselves in glory either.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Almax in uk chain OP. I bought one and have a 20 or 25 sterling off voucher x1 that was with the delivery.

Pm me and I will post you it.

Only req it if you are going to buy one.

Has an expiry date close to now will have to check.

Thanks Umberalles I actually do already have a big chain but there is no ground anchor, but I'm going to scram at the management company until they put one in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Is it worth putting in the ground anchor and answering to any questions later when/if it ever gets spotted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Does your bike have an alarm Zascar? I'd like to know if anyone has a GSM alarm. One that will txt you if your alarm goes off.

Yesterday I installed a security camera at home. It will email me if anyone goes near the bike. But I would prefer a text message. It was only a cheapish one off ebay so I'm not complaining.

Really, how does that work? Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

Most of them carparks have concrete pillars? Would the management allow you to fix an anchor into one of them? off the ground....try bluffing them and say you will be claiming off them? Otherwise look around the neighborhood for a secure lockup...if residential there will be some houses with unused garages that might let you rent for a small fee???
    The scumbags that steal bikes need a slap from the karma hammer!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Just as a point about almax. They also do a ground anchor.

I currently have a almax chain and ground anchor out my back garden and im going to be ordering a ground anchor from them to put at the front of my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

+1 for the almax gear its pricey but its amazing gear....but a ground anchor is a must in these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sorry to hear this. Used to live in an apartment, never used the underground car park though, didn't like having the bike out of sight where scumbags could work away at it. Or dozy car drivers back into it :rolleyes: so kept it chained onto the railings below our window.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

+1 on the Almax chain, you can get Almax chains 2m long- enough to go around a concrete pillar in the car park. (be sure to measure the length you need first)

Professional theives know this brand and therefore know that they'll need an angle grinder and a heck of a lot of noise to get it off. As making noise increases their risk of being caught quite substantially they will simply move onto the next bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sorry for your trouble OP - now you know that when your renewal comes up to just take the cheapest option. Full coverage is a con.

As for where you park it, UG car parks are both a blessing and a curse. Under cover the scumbags are out of sight.

One thing I'd ask the mgt company about apart from the ground achor, is a light. Or put the anchor under a light. At least that way it will be prominent.

Now, if you could get them to put, or let you put - the anchor, a light and............a cctv camera - you'd be elected :)

P.S. Oh, and, if the bike really is going to be out of action that long - take the battery out of it. It'll keep the battery in better condition by not having it idle (keep it in the apt), and it ain't going nowhere without a battery under it's own power.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

They do have CCTV, I have not seen it but I heard they could tell they 'forced open the gates' but nothing back form the police on if they know them or not yet. However, a mate of mine was over at my house and he was checking out the gates, he leant against them and gently pushed, and the gate opened with nothing more than that. I was amazed, could not believe it. If it's that easy to get in that is clearly unacceptable security from the management company. When on the phone I told them I expect them to pay for this - she said she'd see what she could do. I'm not sure legally where I stand, if I have any chance, but I'm certainly going to try!

Advertisement