Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which gels?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been tinkering with the idea of using gels for some of my longer training runs (11-12 miles at moment) with a view to using some during a the Waterford half.

This is more to do with having the Cork Marathon in mind for next June and getting some "practice" in. I never bring anything with me at the moment but what would be a good gel - that's not too hard on the stomach to start off with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Beef wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've been tinkering with the idea of using gels for some of my longer training runs (11-12 miles at moment) with a view to using some during a the Waterford half.

This is more to do with having the Cork Marathon in mind for next June and getting some "practice" in. I never bring anything with me at the moment but what would be a good gel - that's not too hard on the stomach to start off with?

I've tried most of them and have never had a problem with my stomach but it might be best to start off with one of the High 5 Isogels, they are less viscous and don't require water immediately after. After that I'd suggest you try a few different types to see what works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Great stuff - thanks Digger. I'll order a box of those and see how I get on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Beef
    i am new to the longer distance runs with 11 being my longest to date and have tried the high five isogels too. Used them on last three lsrs. Found them easy on stomach an it's great that water is not required. I am also just trying them out now, not cause i think i need them...but just to get used to them. Am also targeting waterford! Best of luck! Berry was flavour i used an not so bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Might be a bit expensive to order a box if they don't agree with you. Try any of the major Running shops and you should be able to pick up individual gels from four or five different manufacturers (IsoGel, Kinetica, SiS etc.) and see what suits you best. There are various flavours and options such as with Caffeine or no Caffeine. Might be best to try individually before you buy a whole box.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

sis go gels plus caffeine
    there twice the price of normal gels but twice the hit of them,rocket fuel:D

• Advertisement

Where can these be purchased?? Definitely need some of these babies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I gave up on gels and switched to Jellies, Powerbar Energy Shots and Stinger Jellies.

I don't know why but I find they go down easier. You do need water to wash them down though.

I have a SIS gel at home that doesn't require water, will probably try it at the weekend.

Try out as many as you can.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Where can these be purchased?? Definitely need some of these babies!!!
    u can but them in tescos,there 2.25 per gel,expensive,but rocket fuel:D

every little helps!

What section in Tesco Ray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Interesting. I have tried a least a dozen variety of gels, and the SiS iso gels are the only ones I could not stomach.

OP: You need to try them out in training. If they work for you in training, they'll work in a race.

What section in Tesco Ray?
    not all tescos will have them,the would be beside all the protein tubs etc

I went into Elvery's and asked what kind of gels they had. "Asics gels" I was told.
    I'll try tesco's later...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I went into Elvery's and asked what kind of gels they had. "Asics gels" I was told.
    I'll try tesco's later...

:)

Think I just wet myself. :o

Cheers for the giggle. :D:D

Advertisement