Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi frankfurters..did they change the recipe?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I was buying Aldi beechwood smoked frankfurters every week because they just tasted so good.

But last time I bought them they looked weird, very white in colour. Bag was full of jelly and tasted like some very cheap east european salami - made from chicken skins,pork fat and clued together with gelatine.. e.g tesco frankfurters taste very same (baaad) thats why I dont buy them from tesco.

I felt like I'm gonna puke after eating few of them.. Honestly, I prefer buying (pay more money) for quality rather than quantity.

Very sad..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you contacted Aldi and complained?
    Its easy to do..
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/service/contact_us.htm?WT.z_src=main

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you contacted Aldi and complained?
    Its easy to do..
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/service/contact_us.htm?WT.z_src=main

No
    I did not.
    I do not believe by sending complaint letters to big companies will result anything at all. Not in EU. Might be in US..I dont know..

Simpler version how I resolved my problem:
    DON'T CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE CHANGE YOUR SUPERMARKET 
    So I'm buying my frankfurters from Lidl now.

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    No
    I did not.
    I do not believe by sending complaint letters to big companies will result anything at all. Not in EU. Might be in US..I dont know..

Simpler version how I resolved my problem:
    DON'T CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE CHANGE YOUR SUPERMARKET
    So I'm buying my frankfurters from Lidl now.
    You'd be wrong there Ted!
    Aldi and Lidl actually have very good customer service, if you followed my link there is a freephone number that you can call.
    Call them and complain then come here and post the result.
    Slating them in public but not actually complaining to them directly, is pretty poor form, companies have to be given a chance to respond.
    If they tell you to take a running jump then by all means post it up.
    It could have been a QC issue and they would rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, all my customer service experiences with both Lidl and Aldi, and their suppliers, have been excellent, far better in fact than any I've had with Irish or UK based companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The way to complain is to do it on an internet forum, that will definitely make them take notice, either that or send them psychic messages, that should be equally effective.

• Advertisement

More agree with Dooferoaks viewpoint

I will ring them monday, just for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The only way to get anything done is to let them know. When I worked in retail I was always delighted to get feedback from customers, as I'd say "If we don't know anything is wrong then we can't fix it."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Do any shops do decent size ones for a reasonable price. I hate those extra skinny long ones. I have to put at least 2 in a bun or else the 'bread/meat ratio' is not right, having 2 of them makes it harder to eat.

The german salami ones have too much bite in the casing for my liking, and the cheapo ones have too thin a casing and no bite.

There is some brand which is ok size, I think rustlers, but they are expensive as it comes with a roll & sauce.

rubadub wrote: »
    Do any shops do decent size ones for a reasonable price. I hate those extra skinny long ones. I have to put at least 2 in a bun or else the 'bread/meat ratio' is not right, having 2 of them makes it harder to eat.
    I am sure Lidl or Aldi do some jumbo size franks in a jar, never tried them so I can't say what they are like but you could always try some?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    More agree with Dooferoaks viewpoint

I will ring them monday, just for the craic

What did they say when you rang them?

• Advertisement

I did but waiting list was too long so I dropped call ( diverted to aldi uk customer service)
    I might do it again some stage in future..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Got some jumbo ones in dunnes. Decent size & length but are more like giant versions of the skinny ones with their weak/thin casing.

Had that usual stupid problem some lad ranted about in some film, the dunnes ones are in 4 packs, 8 packs & 10 packs (the 4 packs are taped together to be 8 for €2), but dunnes hot dog rolls are in 6 packs.

The rolls OK tasting but terrible for hotdogs. They made similar to burger rolls, when you slice into them they come apart in 2 the moment you peel them apart. They have that white line down both sides of the roll which aids this splitting, and there is too much of a curve on them so they are thinner at the end and the split 'runs'.

I know years ago I used to get good doughy hotdog rolls which would stay together very well when cut, the dough was more like baps than cheapo burger rolls. Anybody know of rolls like these, or tips for bad rolls, like wetting them a bit.

More like this type of roll
    2008630SonoranHotDog.jpg

This is what I hate, roll fallen apart, hotdog too long for the roll and stupidly skinny.
    long_hot_dog_in_bun.jpg

Advertisement