Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student entry fees

Options
  • 09-11-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm going to go back to college in Sept and I will be a mature student and also wondering about fee's to be paid or will it be free education? All comments greatly received

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

RonocD wrote: »
    I'm going to go back to college in Sept and I will be a mature student and also wondering about fee's to be paid or will it be free education? All comments greatly received

Cheers

If you have never attended 3rd level before you will get 'free fees' but you will still have to pay the Student Contribution Fee, which is around €2500 and the Student Levy. You can apply for a grant for the first i.e. SUSI
    In some cases the Levy will be paid, but that is dependant on circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Can you apply for a grant and get the 'free fees' would you as a mature student be entitled to both? I will be applying as a mature student also for September 2013.

Trisha XxX wrote: »
    Can you apply for a grant and get the 'free fees' would you as a mature student be entitled to both? I will be applying as a mature student also for September 2013.

You are automatically awarded free fees if you have never been to 3rd level before, though there are exceptions.
    You can apply for a grant for the student contribution fee (though get your paperwork sorted well in advance)

As a mature student you are entitled to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Ok sounds good, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RonocD

Thanks for info

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Narraone

Hi,just wondering how much it would cost per year if you've already been in college and have a degree. I have a bachelor of business degree which I completed 5 years ago but it's no use as I only got a pass because I was young and didn't really care about the course I was doing. So any advice would be appreciated? Suppose I could afford 5k a year fees but any more than that I'd have to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You'll get free fees if you haven't got it in the last number of years (is it 5 or 6 years or something?)

If you're unemployed and on social welfare you can get back to education allowance which is the same as a dole payment for the duration of college, but you must pay the 2k+ contribution fee.

If you don't qualify for BTEA or if you prefer to get a grant, the grant will pay the student contribution fee for you, and you get something like 600 euro throughout the year to help with expenses.

If you can get BTEA it works out as much more, but you'll have to pay the lump sum contribution on your own. I think you need to be claiming social welfare for something like 6 or 9 or 12 months (not sure) before going back to college.

More info at StudentGrant.ie or your local social welfare office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

To qualify for the back to education allowance next Sept you need to be on the dole from either October just gone or this Jan, not 100% sure which.

Narraone wrote: »
    Hi,just wondering how much it would cost per year if you've already been in college and have a degree. I have a bachelor of business degree which I completed 5 years ago but it's no use as I only got a pass because I was young and didn't really care about the course I was doing. So any advice would be appreciated? Suppose I could afford 5k a year fees but any more than that I'd have to leave it.

As beardedmaster said, it is very dependant on what you want to do.
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    You'll get free fees if you haven't got it in the last number of years (is it 5 or 6 years or something?)

Not sure if you were replying to Narraone, but if you were, free fees will not be given as Narraone already has a degree. The 5 year rule only applies to students who have not gotten a qualification. BTEA is not usually awarded to those who have a degree except in rare circumstances. How this is worked out, I don't know. Same with the Grant AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Cainam

Hello, I have recently moved over to Ireland from the UK and I hopefully intend to study physiotherapy at an Irish uni from next year. I have previously studied as an undergrad around 15 years ago in Scotland and I didn't complete the course. Would I be entitled to free fees?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Cainam wrote: »
    Hello, I have recently moved over to Ireland from the UK and I hopefully intend to study physiotherapy at an Irish uni from next year. I have previously studied as an undergrad around 15 years ago in Scotland and I didn't complete the course. Would I be entitled to free fees?
    Cheers

I don't think so, unless you can find a special Grant for International Students.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheTott

Hey guys,

Im planning on going back to Ucd in september to study history and english. I had a brief previous stint in Ucd (2008/2009 academic year) but left after that year. Im now going back as a mature student. Would i have to pay fees??

Answers greatly appreciated.

TheTott wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im planning on going back to Ucd in september to study history and english. I had a brief previous stint in Ucd (2008/2009 academic year) but left after that year. Im now going back as a mature student. Would i have to pay fees??

Have you a degree already? (Have you sat through 4years of college?)

red_bairn wrote: »
    Have you a degree already? (Have you sat through 4years of college?)

No I left after that year, never got my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

Hey guys,

If you stayed in college longer than Sept-Jan of that year, then yes you lost your entitlement to free fees and now have to pay full fees

Joaquin223 wrote: »
    If you stayed in college longer than Sept-Jan of that year, then yes you lost your entitlement to free fees and now have to pay full fees

Yeah, I think if you go past the first semester you have to pay full fees. I remember my sister had to after she completed Year 1 of Geomatics (I think :S)...

The only thing I can find about it is http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/free_tuition.htm.
    students who have been verifiably absent from 3rd level education for a minimum of 5 years since attempting, but not completing, a first-time degree AND who belong to one of the above categories may be considered “second chance” i.e. eligible for a further round of funding under the Free fees Initiative.

They don't seem to be mention anything else about the criteria to be considered "second chance" for some reason.

The only thing I can find about it is http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/free_tuition.htm.

They don't seem to be mention anything else about the criteria to be considered "second chance" for some reason.

I wouldn't harm ya to ring them and find it whether you are eligible under your case.

I wouldn't harm ya to ring them and find it whether you are eligible under your case.

Tried to ring this morning but the fellow that deals with mature students is on holidays for two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Hi
    As far as I am Aware you only pay for the years you completed .If you completed year one of a four year degree you have to pay for the first year of your new degree, you still have to pay the contribution to the college ~2k.

Best Wishes in your adventure

Yea, just confirmed by a susi employee that I have to pay fees. 8 weeks to find near 10k. Yipee

Yea, just confirmed by a susi employee that I have to pay fees. 8 weeks to find near 10k. Yipee

10k? Surely you only have to pay for year one?

10k? Surely you only have to pay for year one?

6k for tuition fees. 2.5k for the student contribution charge, Plus accomodation and all the other things ill need to spend money on in September. Easily gonna be 10k.

Balls.

He said if i waited till next year I wouldnt have to pay fees.

Hey guys,

Yes. You are only out 4 years, so you will not be considered a second chance student. You might only have to pay for first year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rad!

Cainam wrote: »
    Cheers
    Yes, you should be entitled to free fees.

If you have to pay full fees do you have to pay the student contribution charge too?

Edit : Just found the info i was looking for. Its included in the fees.

Advertisement