Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for 12 year old??

Options
  • 09-11-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Looking for a phone for my 12 year old boy for Xmas. He has asked for Smart phone where he can download app/take pics and touch screen. Nothing specific. Doesn't have to be iphone etc.

Was looking at the following from Vodafone: http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/nokia-lumia-610

Someone mentioned to me before the Blackberry's where good now and kids loved them? have no idea. I have HTC and iphone myself. One for personal and one for business. Both are grand but quite expensive. I don't want to spend a load of money on phone as his last one was thrown into a bucket of water. Any idea's? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

If I was you I'd get him an Android. Seeing as iPhone's are quite expensive and he'll probably damage/lose it (we all do at that age) I wouldn't get him one of them. BlackBerries are good, but they'd be better for older teenagers, and from what I know of them they can't download many apps etc. A Windows phone is probably a little on the advanced side for himself as well.

What network will you be looking at? If you're not bothered about network I'd suggest getting a sim free phone and putting a 48 sim into it. Free calls and texts to all networks for €10 and you won't have to worry about him going on the internet when he's alone on it because it comes with no data and the €10 isn't used as credit, its as if it's taken immediately to pay for the calls and texts. See 48months.ie for more details.

What price range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BroLo wrote: »
    If I was you I'd get him an Android. Seeing as iPhone's are quite expensive and he'll probably damage/lose it (we all do at that age) I wouldn't get him one of them. BlackBerries are good, but they'd be better for older teenagers, and from what I know of them they can't download many apps etc. A Windows phone is probably a little on the advanced side for himself as well.

What network will you be looking at? If you're not bothered about network I'd suggest getting a sim free phone and putting a 48 sim into it. Free calls and texts to all networks for €10 and you won't have to worry about him going on the internet when he's alone on it because it comes with no data and the €10 isn't used as credit, its as if it's taken immediately to pay for the calls and texts. See 48months.ie for more details.

What price range?

Looking at around 100......

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/sony-xperia-tipo

I'd suggest this for him. It's actually got great spec. It'd be locked to Meteor though, so if you don't mind him being on Meteor it's perfect. You can get him on a €15 a month bill pay sim-only contract for it and I'm sure they could arrange that the caps be all he uses so he doesn't run up a serious bill. Just make sure you turn Data off on the phone and make sure he doesn't use it! Unless you want to spring an extra 5 a month and get him 1GB of data.

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/sony-xperia-tipo

I'd suggest this for him. It's actually got great spec. It'd be locked to Meteor though, so if you don't mind him being on Meteor it's perfect. You can get him on a €15 a month bill pay sim-only contract for it and I'm sure they could arrange that the caps be all he uses so he doesn't run up a serious bill. Just make sure you turn Data off on the phone and make sure he doesn't use it! Unless you want to spring an extra 5 a month and get him 1GB of data.

How is the OS on these phones? I don't have experience of them? is there apps to download? etc

It's Android OS. It's similar to iOS but there's a little more freedom in what you can place where etc. I find it brilliant myself, and it can be fun to put widgets for different things in different places. The Google Play Store is Android's equivalent of the Apple App Store, many of the same things are available. You need to have a google (gmail) account to use it though, and you don't have to put in your password everytime you want to download an app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN9nrVHcaW0 I haven't watched this so I don't know how good it is but it should give you a quick look at Android.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-tipo-Review_id3115

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNThvhWCN-c

All in all I think it's a great first phone. It's small, which is good for your young son, it has Apps and a camera, the camera isn't brilliant but it's good for a starter.

• Advertisement

Sorry I am losing it, I have HTC so know Android, looks like a nice phone, has it big screen? I have HTC one V? Similar size?

Screen is 3.2". The One V is 3.7". It's smaller than the One V by nearly half an inch but seeing as it is for a 12 year old this would be perfect.

Screen is 3.2". The One V is 3.7". It's smaller than the One V by nearly half an inch but seeing as it is for a 12 year old this would be perfect.

Thanks, says it comes with 3GB memory? that correct? is additional memory just SD memory card?

3GB memory is the internal storage. If it says it comes with it I would assume it does.

Additional memory is an SD card correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭jackocool7

i would get him an iphone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jackocool7 wrote: »
    i would get him an iphone

You must be loaded:D. There are enough fools posting in these forum complaining how they lost their iphone.:rolleyes:

Advertisement