Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not sure

• 09-11-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

hi all,

im not to sure about voting in the childrens referendum, can anyone help me out with why i should vote yes and equally why i should vote no??

sorry have just found a thread below asking the same thing thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

lowly26 wrote: »
    hi all,

im not to sure about voting in the childrens referendum, can anyone help me out with why i should vote yes and equally why i should vote no??

sorry have just found a thread below asking the same thing thanks

Be careful of 'equality', there may not be equal arguments on both sides of a question, in fact usually there aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

The wording states that a child may be taken into care if the parents 'fail in their duty to their children'. It doesn't define what these duties are. Are you comfortable with judges and social workers deciding what your duties as a parent are, and taking away your children if *they* think you are not meeting them? Vote No. Otherwise, obese children may be taken into care because the State thinks the parents are feeding them too much junk food or not getting them to exercise enough. Unemployed parents could have their children removed by a rightwing judge that thinks the parents are scroungers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

At present children are taken into care in cases of cruelty or neglect. If their parents are married they may be put into foster care as adoption is not allowed to children of married parents - only children whose parents are not married can be adopted. All kids are entitled to the chance to have a loving home whether their parents are married or not. I also think a child's voice should be heard - gone are the days when I heard "children should be seen and not heard". These are my reasons so I'm definitely a yes on the referendum.

Advertisement