Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17cal verses 22cal. how does the caliber effect wear/heat build up etc etc

Options
  • 09-11-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Is there different properties related to different caliber sizes /bore diameters?

I seem to remember reading, once upon a time, that .17 cal barrels hold heat less and thereby are inherently more accurate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Is there different properties related to different caliber sizes /bore diameters?

I seem to remember reading, once upon a time, that .17 cal barrels hold heat less and thereby are inherently more accurate.
    Hi Zxthinger, i would say "accuracy" would be more down to case design ,bullet , ,brass, barrel ,action ,shooter ect.. rather than bore diameter .
    How often do you see .17 cals been shot sucessfully in BR as apposed to .22 cals ?
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I don't see how they would hold heat less they are gong to be made of the same materiel either 4140 carbon or R416 stainless. They would also be buring more powder than a .22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Who shoots ANY .17cal rifle in BR?

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Who shoots ANY .17cal rifle in BR?

tac
    Hi Tac , im sure somebody has shot a .17 cal in 100/200 yards BR at some- time or another .
    Not sure exactly what .17cal round the OP is comparing to .22 cal !
    Either way .17cals in general are more of a hunting cal rather than target .
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Apart from .22 rimfire BR, all other BR is the province of the handloader, something that does not yet happen in Irish benchrest, AFAIK. And let's be brutally honest, much of the present .17 rimfire ammunition we are seeing over here - particulalry from Hornady, who invented the calibre in the fust place - is total c%ap. Much of it is being returned to the dealer for either swaps after inspection for split necks cases or money back. Many shooters in my club have gotten rid of their .17HMR and replaced them with another more reliable calibre. Last weekend we had TWO blocked barrels from squib loads in this calibre and this ammunition...

I agree that the OP has left the gate wide open here by not specifying what for what.

It might be different in Ireland, but here the very velocity that makes .17HMR and the other micro-calibres so successful as small-game hunting rounds prevents them from being fired on a range that is cleared for rim-fire .22.

tac

• Advertisement

Hi Tac,.17hmr Vs .22wmr in terms of accuracy is an easy one .....17hmr .
    IMO,thats more down to the .17hmr been a modern round with better case design rather than heat or wear in a barrel .
    Not good to see the .17hmr having problems with brass and heads getting stuck down barrels .
    OP needs to give more details .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

Advertisement