Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Japan: Few questions, help appreciated.

Options
  • 09-11-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey everyone.

So basically at the start of last month I took the finger out, so to speak and decided that I really wanted to go to Japan more so than anywhere else.

I have no problem putting the time in to learn the language or saving like crazy and leaving myself a bit broke. They are not the problems at hand.

The problem is a pretty obvious one.

"Visas"

Now I've read the Visa requirements more times than I want to remember and I'm well aware that it is extremely difficult to get a Work Visa with a BA Degree. I do not have one, college was never my thing and frankly the thoughts of going to College for 3-4 years just to live in Japan, well its a hell of a lot of time.

I've also been reading into "Spouse Visa's".

As a side note I was engaged when I was 20 so getting married at 23/24 doesnt bother or scare me. I've been doing my research and supposdly japanese women Like Gaijin's because we are foreign.

My question is this.

Are there women in Japan who are looking to marry a foreigner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There are women in Japan who want to marry somebody who they think will make them happy and vice versa. Some of these women will only want to marry Japanese men - some will be more open to the idea of marrying somebody who is not Japanese (my wife is one).

But I don't think there are very many women who have the idea of 'wanting to marry a foreigner' in their head. There may be exceptions among women who want to marry US military and move to the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

snakey1989 wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

My question is this.

Are there women in Japan who are looking to marry a foreigner?

I can say unequivocally that there are women in Japan who will marry a foreigner .

I can say that there are women who will marry anything to escape what they perceive is holding them back in much the same way as a man wanting a marriage of convenience for the purpose of entry . Good Luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 39 snakey1989

There are women in Japan who want to marry somebody who they think will make them happy and vice versa. Some of these women will only want to marry Japanese men - some will be more open to the idea of marrying somebody who is not Japanese (my wife is one).

But I don't think there are very many women who have the idea of 'wanting to marry a foreigner' in their head. There may be exceptions among women who want to marry US military and move to the USA.
    So are you speaking from experience or personal opinion?

I can say unequivocally that there are women in Japan who will marry a foreigner .

I can say that there are women who will marry anything to escape what they perceive is holding them back in much the same way as a man wanting a marriage of convenience for the purpose of entry . Good Luck .
    I see thank you for the insight. Out of curiosity, do you leave in japan yourself, or?

I see thank you for the insight. Out of curiosity, do you leave in japan yourself, or?

I have Permanent Resident status for Japan. I am fortunate now to operate a business in both Ireland and Japan and be able to have my children schooled in both countries .

Why did you choose such a handle (snakey) and ask such a Visa question .

Good Luck in the Kitchen .

Wow, very nice.
    Why did you choose such a handle (snakey) and ask such a Visa question .
    I dont really see the relationship between the two?

However, to indulge you.

-Snakey1989 is altered form of my old Gaming Tag "Solid Snake", thats all there is too it.

-As for the Visa Question, I mention why in the OP. Again Im going to Japan next year and going for only 1 year seems a little crap because I know I'll love it out there. The whole marriage/spouse Visa thing was on my mind and wanted a little more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Hey everyone.

So basically at the start of last month I took the finger out, so to speak and decided that I really wanted to go to Japan more so than anywhere else.

I have no problem putting the time in to learn the language or saving like crazy and leaving myself a bit broke. They are not the problems at hand.

Hi snakey,

I'm currently living and working (temporarily) in Japan on a spousal visa.

If you don't mind my offering general advice, I would say that's not a good reason for getting married, nor a good basis for choosing a life partner (neither for you, nor for the hypothetical Japanese wife). That's none of my business, of course.

I would add that learning Japanese may not be as quick or easy as you now imagine. I speak from experience. Long, hard, bitter experience.

What kind of work do you hope to do here? As a foreigner, it could be very difficult to find a job here. Most westerners living and working here seem to be either:
    - posted here by their foreign employer, or
    - teaching English.

Have you looked into the English-teacher programmes, and whether that might be a route to a working visa?

Dara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭TAPA2012

Hi living here in Japan,

Have to say it is an amazing country. I am currently looking for work which I was told will be no bother. I have looked up a good few websites and they all require a degree! so be weary of this before you make the leap it seems the only way to get a job here as a foreigner with no Japanese. Also learning the language! is very tough! only got hiragana learnt now moving onto katakana. Some good websites out there to help but very hard to learn it alone! hope you find work and best of luck with your travels! youll love it! :)

Hi snakey,

I'm currently living and working (temporarily) in Japan on a spousal visa.

If you don't mind my offering general advice, I would say that's not a good reason for getting married, nor a good basis for choosing a life partner (neither for you, nor for the hypothetical Japanese wife). That's none of my business, of course.

I would add that learning Japanese may not be as quick or easy as you now imagine. I speak from experience. Long, hard, bitter experience.

What kind of work do you hope to do here? As a foreigner, it could be very difficult to find a job here. Most westerners living and working here seem to be either:
    - posted here by their foreign employer, or
    - teaching English.

Have you looked into the English-teacher programmes, and whether that might be a route to a working visa?

Dara
    Hello Dara,

thanks for the honesty. Well I obviously wouldnt go up to the first stranger and ask them "hey im a foreigner, want to get married?" haha Im far from that blunt or stupid. I was engaged for 2 and a half years from the age of 20-22. My relationship with that girl was rough for various reasons, miscarriages, cheating etc etc you get the idea. Im no fool when it comes to choosing a life partner ive had enough experience with women of all ages especially older women to know that.

However, consider this. When I get to Japan and find a job doing whatever and I meet a Japanese girl and We really like each other and that likeness turns to love.

If the time comes where I have only a few months left and I'm still with the said Native girl, id ask her. If I didnt love her in some form i wouldnt ask.

What I do know is that I have narrowly escaped dieing twice in the last year and a half. Life is too short, so if I love the girl and my visa is going to run out, then I am going to ask her to marry me. Not for the sake of using her for her lineage to stay in the country but because id love her.

As for learning Japanese, I never said it was easy but I'm the type of person that can pick up languages easy when I put my mind to it.

As for work, i'd be happy teaching english.
    Hi living here in Japan,

Have to say it is an amazing country. I am currently looking for work which I was told will be no bother. I have looked up a good few websites and they all require a degree! so be weary of this before you make the leap it seems the only way to get a job here as a foreigner with no Japanese. Also learning the language! is very tough! only got hiragana learnt now moving onto katakana. Some good websites out there to help but very hard to learn it alone! hope you find work and best of luck with your travels! youll love it! smile.png
    hello there,

Yes having done some recon on the english teaching area im aware that a lot of places ask for a Degree. However some don't.

Now heres a comment for both of you.

My plan is to go WWOOF'ing for the first month or so, naturally this is time of year dependant. Doing this will give me a chance to improve my Japanese due to the family id be staying with as well as get used to typical Japanese life, in some form.

I have a habit of planning a head before I do or go somewhere.

My plan is to go WWOOF'ing

Great idea to go as a wwoofer, I often see a bunch of wwoofers cycling to the fields on their way to work near my house in Otone-Machi Saitama. They all have happy faces .

{Visas
    Visas are entirely your responsibility. Neither the WWOOF Japan LLP office, nor WWOOF Japan LLP Hosts, can sponsor or support you in any way on visas matters. If you are in any doubt about your eligibility for a visa to Japan, go here www.mofa.go.jp and navigate to the page concerning visas. If, after you have applied and paid for WWOOF Japan LLP membership, you find you are unable to obtain a visa, refund will not be given.}

As for insurance and wages ? you will be lucky to get a bowl of rice .

Good Luck in the Kitchen.

http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=30&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

So are you speaking from experience or personal opinion?
    Both I suppose. I've been married to a Japanese woman for 7 years. I lived in Yokosuka for a couple of years, and there is a US Navy base there, so I could see women who seemed to me at least to be looking for a foreign guy to marry (For many Japanese, foreigner = American, especially if the foreigner is white.)

• Advertisement

Great idea to go as a wwoofer, I often see a bunch of wwoofers cycling to the fields on their way to work near my house in Otone-Machi Saitama. They all have happy faces .

{Visas
    Visas are entirely your responsibility. Neither the WWOOF Japan LLP office, nor WWOOF Japan LLP Hosts, can sponsor or support you in any way on visas matters. If you are in any doubt about your eligibility for a visa to Japan, go here www.mofa.go.jp and navigate to the page concerning visas. If, after you have applied and paid for WWOOF Japan LLP membership, you find you are unable to obtain a visa, refund will not be given.}

As for insurance and wages ? you will be lucky to get a bowl of rice .

Good Luck in the Kitchen.

http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index...mid=30&lang=en
    user_offline.pngreport.gif

Well Im well aware of Visa policies as am I aware of the process to becoming a WWoofer.

Thank you for the information anyway. :D
    Both I suppose. I've been married to a Japanese woman for 7 years. I lived in Yokosuka for a couple of years, and there is a US Navy base there, so I could see women who seemed to me at least to be looking for a foreign guy to marry (For many Japanese, foreigner = American, especially if the foreigner is white.)

Ahh yes, Im aware of that. If they see a white person, there either British or American in there eyes. Irish dont even come to mind with the Japanese as far as Im aware. Ive done a lot of research on this like.

Sometimes though its good to get feedback from people who have personal experience.

I really hope you're trolling. You just want to marry a Japanese girl for the visa?
    If you want to go to Japan, do it the honest way. Find a job and get your company to sponsor your visa, or go as a student. There really is no other solid way to get into the country. Japan is very wary of the people it they let in. Unless you can prove you're going to be of some benefit/are going to do something productive, the odds of you getting a long-term visa are next to none.
    If you're really desperate, look to the various TESOL schools in Japan. Most of them require a degree in order to get a contract, but you might be able to find somewhere that will take you with just a simple TEFL cert (which are easy to acquire online)

I really hope you're trolling. You just want to marry a Japanese girl for the visa?
    If you want to go to Japan, do it the honest way. Find a job and get your company to sponsor your visa, or go as a student. There really is no other solid way to get into the country. Japan is very wary of the people it they let in. Unless you can prove you're going to be of some benefit/are going to do something productive, the odds of you getting a long-term visa are next to none.
    If you're really desperate, look to the various TESOL schools in Japan. Most of them require a degree in order to get a contract, but you might be able to find somewhere that will take you with just a simple TEFL cert (which are easy to acquire online)
    Trolling?:confused: If I was trolling, you'd know about it.

Does it surprise you that I know quite a bit about this stuff. I have done research.

It doesnt matter anymore, I've gotten more than enough info from this and another similar post elsewhere. :cool:

Advertisement