Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

indie / alternative pub/club tonight?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

hey its G.F birthday tonight, me and most of our friends usually go to electronic music type clubs but shes not into that kinda thing. obviously being her b.day she gets to decide where to go.

She's looking for somewhere in inner city Dublin that has kind of a alternative indie vibe,if any ones ever been to roisin dubh in Galway that's the kinda thing i mean.

I'm aware the workman's club probably fits that description but there's a gig on there tonight and its nearly 20 quid in so that's a no!

any advice ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Whelan's, the old reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Is Whelan's not just your run of mill commercial music student pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

try Bruxelles off grafton street

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

http://www.gypsyroseclub.com

The Gypsy Rose bar on Aston Quay and a stones throw from the Halpenny Bridge (open till 2.30am)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Is Whelan's not just your run of mill commercial music student pub?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Whelans, Anseo, Against the Grain for the beers though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Birneybau wrote: »

No

As mentioned, no its a lot better than that! Other places in the village quarter fitting the bill:

Bernard shaw
    Against the grain
    Bleeding horse
    Anseo
    Village bar

Around grafton st:
    Grogans castle lounge
    Hogans
    Globe (RiRa club under it)
    Speak easy bar
    Lincoln inn
    Sweenys mongrel

North quays;

Dice bar, sin e, fibbers rock bar.

Also fibbers club up on parnell st.

Temple bar:

Workmans club
    Gypsy rose
    Garage
    Foggy dew

Personally, id go for the dice bar, then onto sin e and finish at a gig at fibbers rock bar. Only 3 min walk from each place to the next and good crowds :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm fairly certain the Workman's is only pay into the venue, the bar upstairs is free in. The venue will open as a club after the show.

EDIT: Yes, it's business as usual in the venue from 11pm. The upstairs bar is open before that.

Twee. wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain the Workman's is only pay into the venue, the bar upstairs is free in. The venue will open as a club after the show.

EDIT: Yes, it's business as usual in the venue from 11pm. The upstairs bar is open before that.

If thats the case, for an indie/individual night out, id combine this with my eariler suggestion.

Start of at the dice bar, possibly the best alternative bar in the city. Head the short walk to the river and turn left to sin e, brilliant indie tunes and a class atmosphere. Then 50 metres down the road you have fibbers rock bar with live acts. Youre then at grattan bridge. 2 minute walk over the bridge as the workmans is right next to the bridge, in temple bar. Could even throw in the czech inn or the porterhouse for some fine beer. Sorted night :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Apparently, Sin É isn't an indie club on a Friday night. At least it wasn't last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fibber's on the quays is closed, its been that way for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

They still open for gigs and on certain nights afaik

I thought it was still open at weekends until its sold?

You guys might be right, but I haven't seen or heard of it open in awhile now.

Fibber's on Parnell St is still going strong.

The Devils Disciples MC (motorcycle club) have a rock night in Fibbers tonight, its a fiver submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

She's looking for somewhere indie and people are suggesting fibbers, gypsy rose and bruxelles?? I don't think so! The academy is probably more likely what she's after

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Devils Disciples MC (motorcycle club) have a rock night in Fibbers tonight, its a fiver submission.
    Freudian slip? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Sin e is Ska/reggae on Fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

bassey wrote: »
    Sin e is Ska/reggae on Fridays

Downstairs, yes. Upstairs on Friday it was just your basic chart dance stuff, Jackson 5, Deee-lite etc.

Esel wrote: »
    Freudian slip? :D

lol, I talk in martial arts talk so bloody much :o

--LOS-- wrote: »
    She's looking for somewhere indie and people are suggesting fibbers, gypsy rose and bruxelles?? I don't think so! The academy is probably more likely what she's after

fair point :)

What about that new club up on Parnell Square, the Avenue.

Doesnt that do indie nights? It is supposed to be a really good space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement