Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much TV?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this has already been discussed, I did a search and came up with nothing but was interested to hear how much TV you let your kids watch. I am stay at home dad of 2 girls (6 & 3). The 6 year old would watch TV all day if she could (after school!), the 3 year old is not too fussed. Regarding the 6 year old she does well at school, gets a decent amount of exercise with a 30 minute walk to and from school, is home by 3.30pm, will then do homework straight away followed by a snack which takes us to approx 4.30, at least a couple of times during the week we will then go out either swimming or library for instance but on the other days she may do some arts & crafts in the house or will head for the TV where she may stay until we go up stairs at 7. Would this be too much do you think? She has busy weekends with gymnastics, swimming, irish dancing so I don't get too annoyed by it as she probably needs some time relaxing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

So would 3 hours be too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

mattb74 wrote: »
    So would 3 hours be too much?
    I would say yes. That adds up to 21 hours per week! I know you say she has a busy weekend with extra activities and so on but I still think that is an awful lot of Tv for a 6 year old girl. I would try encourage other leisure time activities - books, puzzles, maybe cooking or baking together? Spending time playing with her little sister, listening to music or story tapes etc would all be far preferable to TV time in my opinion. What about going for walks in the afternoon and giving them things to find - flowers, conkers, acorns, different coloured leaves and so on that can be brought home to make a nature table, drawing the animals they have seen when they get home, or simply bring the wellies and waterproofs and go kicking leaves and splashing in puddles with a flask of hot chocolate for afterwards?

Just some suggestions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

OP Do you really care what other people think in relation to how you raise your child, what food you give them, their sleep pattern, or how much tv they watch

Yes its nice to gauge it against others on here and to ask for recommendations as to how to improve certain things

This is your child if you are happy and the child is happy then its no one else's business...you say you do other activities with your child, and she has a busy schedule so how is tv going to "damage" her.

I mean have you watched nick jr or disney jr or even cbeebies hardly damaging stuff on all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

My 1-year-old doesn't watch any TV and I intend to keep it that way. I've read that TV is bad for children (especially) and I'd much rather encourage him to read or play. I'll try to find some links.

3 hours a day sitting on your backside looking at other people having fun seems like far too much to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

links for the argument that tv is good for toddlers

http://kidstvmovies.about.com/od/healthytvhabits/a/tvgoodforkids.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/05/health/psychology/05tots.html?_r=0

links for the argument that tv is bad for toddles

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tv%20bad%20for%20toddlers&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.psychologytoday.com%2Fblog%2Fturn-tv%2F201110%2Fthe-real-reason-why-tv-is-bad-the-kids&ei=QMigUKbsAs6ShgezjIGACg&usg=AFQjCNFyGFrM1CE6-fO5OYfr98VfDW6Kvw

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tv%20bad%20for%20toddlers&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.babycenter.com%2F0_tv-watching-guidelines-for-toddlers_11746.bc&ei=QMigUKbsAs6ShgezjIGACg&usg=AFQjCNHH8IcYpe_UPhS-swfugFX_ZMO4Fw

and the list goes on and on for both sides, yes using the tv to be a babysitter is wrong, not interacting with your child is wrong but OP you are not doing either of these things, you are a normal busy parent and your child has a normal busy schedule with a bit of down time

I let my 2yr old watch tv and guess what his language is amazing he has full conversations with you, so many words, sings lots and lots of songs, we read lots of books which he can read off by heart with you, he can count to 20 at 2years old and he knows his abc...and all of this from watching the numtums and alphablocks..he even knows certain sign language from mr tumble..we watch them together...he loves thomas the tank engine and has such affection for his thomas toy characters, he is not obese, and sleeps well he isnt violent as we dont watch violent tv or adult tv when he is in the room.We have lots of interactive toys that we play with too.

So in moderation and watching appropriate tv does no harm in my eyes to hear my child laugh his heart out at abney and teal makes me smile

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

NextSteps wrote: »
    My 1-year-old doesn't watch any TV and I intend to keep it that way. I've read that TV is bad for children (especially) and I'd much rather encourage him to read or play. I'll try to find some links.

3 hours a day sitting on your backside looking at other people having fun seems like far too much to me.

Good job that the 1 year old isn't watching TV! :D

I always thought the same there with our lad, he was great there with no interest in TV until he went to the childminder there about 16 months of age, he LOVES Fireman Sam, so he gets about 30 mins around 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

yop wrote: »
    I always thought the same there with our lad, he was great there with no interest in TV until he went to the childminder there about 16 months of age, he LOVES Fireman Sam, so he gets about 30 mins around 7pm.

I could have written this! I was close to awarding myself Parent of the Year for no tv until he went to the childminders :rolleyes: He's now 2 and 1/2 and at home with me now and the 6 month old and if it wasn't for Fireman Sam/Thomas the tank/Peppa Pig, I would never get a cup of coffee into me while she takes her 12 o'clock powernap. It's like everything else - all in moderation. He has great speech, loves his books and jigsaws, is mad for outside and entertains himself with tractors and his toys, so an hour of his favourite cartoons (spread out) is no harm. I ask him questions about what he's watching and get him to tell daddy what bloody Norman got up to today. He only watches CBeebies and RTE Jr, so no ads.

Advertisement