Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended Desktop NVidia P231

Options
  • 09-11-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi there,

We currently have a HP Workstation XW4200 with a Nvidia P231 Graphics card installed. The connector, takes a cable like this:

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336b8ef1ad519f765a3ce5ecbdfc158a112.jpg

When we had Windows 2000 installed on the server, we were able to do an extended desktop configuration with these card and splitter cable combination. However, we have since upgraded the computer to Windows 7, and now all we can do is run clone screen mode.

So, my question (as if it was obvious at this stage) how can we return to using extended desktop with this configuration?

Are you sure I hear you say!? - Yes, I am certain that originally we had a proper extended desktop configuration when the machine had Windows 2000 installed and NOT clone view.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Rgds

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had to look up what that connector was(DMS59 it seems).

Have you installed the nVidia drivers/CP or are you just running generic drivers? The generic VGAs wont support a more advanced function like that.

Problem may be though that old 2000 drivers might not work with 7. Compatibility modes are quite good at fixing such issues but there's a limit to how much that can do.

I'd have to wonder why you're doing this though? From a glance at it its a terrible card by modern standards. 64MB DDR1 :| Looking at the unit itself, its very low spec too, barely enough for 7. Unit should really be for the bin or a very very light linux distro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah these are ancient, but I use one in work on my ancient desktop :pac: Getting new equipment is impossible even for multinational megacorp :)

As poster above says, just install the proper driver and your graphics will work as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi guys,

Thanks a million for all the feedback.

Indeed, running the Windows 2000 driver worked a treat! Agreed this is all old hardware, but all I want to do is have dual screen within our IT Department to display some web-browser based pages of data about our internal systems, so really the requirements are massively basic!

Many thanks,

Paul.

Advertisement