Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 8 places to live

Options
  • 09-11-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Thinking of moving to D8 as i see house prices are lower there, but i have no idea of the area. Are there any places i should avoid? What i'm looking for is a safe area, as the wife sometimes returns from work at around 10 pm. Also, buses to Stephen's Green would be a plus.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ladysadie

Are you planning on buying in the area?
    I live in an apartment complex in the area, I think its grand.
    I drive to work and ive secure parking, so the coming home late thing doesnt apply really.
    But ive never had trouble getting the bus or a taxi into town at night/ in the evening.

Think you should rent in the area for a few months to check it out though.
    Try get a 6 month lease.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

House prices are lower for a reason. I'd second what ladysadie says and rent in an area for a while before buying. There's a lot of parts of D8 where I would be anxious about my wife walking home at 10pm. There's a lot of upsides also - Stephens Green will be within comfortable walking distance from many parts of D8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The Viking Harbour complex is exceptionally well managed and is right on the quays. D8 is a funny one; there are areas that judges and ex ambassadors live in and areas full of junkies and rehabs. You would really need to narrow down where you are looking. +1 on the short term rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hacuna Matata

Yes, was planning of renting for at least a year before even thinking of buying. If you could suggest any specific areas (for example i was told to stay away from Rialto) it'd be great.

Price range? Bedrooms? Apartment / house? Do you want to be near anything in particular like a park or City centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Hacuna Matata

Price range? Bedrooms? Apartment / house? Do you want to be near anything in particular like a park or City centre?

Well, up to 1300/mth would be perfect. Preferrably a house, but apartment is fine as well. 2 bed and a walking distance of up to 20min to Stephen's Green. I know i'm asking a lot here :)

Well, up to 1300/mth would be perfect. Preferrably a house, but apartment is fine as well. 2 bed and a walking distance of up to 20min to Stephen's Green. I know i'm asking a lot here :)

I know you said Dublin 8 but Smithfield is right opposite the river and would fit that bill. You'll find some nice places (and some knacker holes) in Kilmainham - The chocolate factory apartments near the Hilton - but the walking distance to S.Green might be an issue.

The little cottages near Griffith College are nice but the Cork St. / Thomas St areas (and Pimlico) are a bit grotty.

Everyone will tell you avoid Dolphin's Barn - but actually the Griffith College end in quite nice. Just view several times - this rest of this area is very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Dublin 8 is an enormous area stretching from Inchicore to nearly Stephen's Green. Narrow it down a little bit for us please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know you said Dublin 8 but Smithfield is right opposite the river and would fit that bill. You'll find some nice places (and some knacker holes) in Kilmainham - The chocolate factory apartments near the Hilton - but the walking distance to S.Green might be an issue.

The little cottages near Griffith College are nice but the Cork St. / Thomas St areas (and Pimlico) are a bit grotty.

Everyone will tell you avoid Dolphin's Barn - but actually the Griffith College end in quite nice. Just view several times - this rest of this area is very dodgy.

I have lived in kilmainham for almost 5 years...no bother at all. Just down beside the dublin providers centre. Great bus links to town. Bulfin estate is pretty quiet as well in kilmainham/inchicore. I think in general I would stay on that side of the luas tracks though.

gmisk wrote: »
    I have lived in kilmainham for almost 5 years...no bother at all. Just down beside the dublin providers centre. Great bus links to town. Bulfin estate is pretty quiet as well in kilmainham/inchicore. I think in general I would stay on that side of the luas tracks though.

A mate lives there and +1 to most of the above. Steer clear of the Tramyards estate and surrounding area though. Its knackerville.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I live in the CIE Railway Estate opposite the Black Lion Pub. It's a lovely quiet spot, tucked away with a nice country feel to it. I've lived in two other parts of Inchicore and this is by far the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 flo_indublin

The Irish Times did an article on Dublin 8 only a few days ago:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/1101/1224325963892.html
    While describing it as the new (or not so new) gay neighbourhood, it gives you also a feel for the area. As others say D8 is huge though, and while Portobello, some streets near the city end of the SCR and the Tenters are more upmarket and expensive, others are still a bit dodgy. I feel safe and like living just off Meath St. where I can walk to Stephens Green in under 15 mins but maybe it's just a gamble, fingers crossed.
    Bottom line, you have to try living there for a bit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think that article was mentioned in another thread here.....its a pointless piece of fluff imo.
    +1 For renting in an area 1st before buying

Advertisement