Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whitewashed stairs banisters & hand rail

Options
  • 09-11-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

My wife wants the stairs bannisters and hand rail to have a whitewash effect (wood grain showing) and I'm not totally convinced.

This is a new house and I don't know if the staircase is made from pine or white deal.
    Is it a good idea and hard wearing to whitewash the bannisters and the hand rail ?

Is it possible to find whitewash paint ready available in a tin from any DIY stores?

thanking you in advance

Zeppi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You could try a thin coat of white undercoat or thinned out white gloss/satinwood onto the bare wood and then a few coats of clear water based varnish over the paint to protect it, try it on a piece of scrap wood first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Lime paste , works best with oak and ash though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

my own opinion would be it would look a mess with pine. even on oak if not done correctly can look bad. we used to hate having to do it. havent seen it done since around 2000 though.

Advertisement