Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High end 3DS MAX PC

Options
  • 09-11-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Guys,
    Have begun to do some 3D Visualisation for work (3DS MAX, Photoshop etc) and am looking for a fairly high spec PC to upgrade to. Any suggestions? Budget not hugely important but nothing crazy all the same. Thinking I7’s, GTX 580 etc?
    Just need to send in a spec and rough cost estimate.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

cherrytaz wrote: »
    Guys,
    Have begun to do some 3D Visualisation for work (3DS MAX, Photoshop etc) and am looking for a fairly high spec PC to upgrade to. Any suggestions? Budget not hugely important but nothing crazy all the same. Thinking I7’s, GTX 580 etc?
    Just need to send in a spec and rough cost estimate.

Cheers

a decent gcard and LOTS of ram is all ya need for 3DSMAX

CAD programs tend to be a memory hog.... i use Autocad 2013 and it really hogs memory. I'd imagine 3DS Max + Plugins would be a memory hog too

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

We live in a time of transition, which is bad for people like you and I.
    Some of the renderers are gpu exclusive (which means you'll want a good gpu),
    some of them are cpu exclusive (which means you'll want a good cpu).
    So if you want to be selective and go all out on one instead of the other, you better do your research on which renderer you intend using. GPUs are cheaper than CPUs in the power/price ratio - but few good gpu renderers exist for 3Ds. The built in one in 2012 is GPU Capable now, but external ones cut corners and look like **** - its optimised for speed rather than quality.

Give her loads of ram, at least 8Gb, maybe 16Gb.
    A 580 is probably grand for what you want, you can stick another one in there later (check which randerers work on multi-gpu setups).
    An i5-2500k is a great cheap option for fairly decent CPU.
    A 700w psu will be able to cover that and will take an extra 580 in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I know very little about 3D rendering and that so I just threw in a GTX 670 GPU as a place holder. Hopefully someone else with knowledge about that area will be able to help you out with the proper GPU to get.

The rest of the build is fairly good for your needs, I was very liberal with choosing components and went with higher quality over low price so somethings could be cut back a little if it's too much.
    But this is a start and gives you a ball park figure as to what a high end machine will cost. You will want the i7 CPU for rendering as it has hyperthreading which will be hugely beneficial for those types of programs.

Item|Price
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA III Basic|€155.39
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27|€69.29
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€90.29
    FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4 Titanium Grey|€109.00
    Super-Flower SF550P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold|€73.01
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€130.19
    Intel Core i7-3770K Box, LGA1155|€303.84
    Corsair Hydro Series H100 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€103.99
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€359.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1412.99

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Thanks for replies. Exactly what I needed

Advertisement