Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Appliance Problems

Options
  • 09-11-2012 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Last month I bought a new dishwasher and hob, They have been installed now for over week and both worked fine for a couple of days but then started giving trouble.
    I rang the store I purchased them from and they sent a chap out who came and fixed them but by that evening they were giving problems again.
    I got back on to the store again yesterday and I'm now waiting for the repairman to call on Monday.

Can anyone tell me what options I have, could I ask for a replacement instead of another repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

54kroc wrote: »
    Last month I bought a new dishwasher and hob, They have been installed now for over week and both worked fine for a couple of days but then started giving trouble.
    I rang the store I purchased them from and they sent a chap out who came and fixed them but by that evening they were giving problems again.
    I got back on to the store again yesterday and I'm now waiting for the repairman to call on Monday.

Can anyone tell me what options I have, could I ask for a replacement instead of another repair?

Yes, under consumer law any repair is supposed to be permanent so you have strong grounds for seeking a replacement or a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Well no repair man called to us today.
    I called the store and said the machines should either be repaired, replaced or refunded and was told that they will not be replacing or refunding the machines, they told us that the manufacture will be dealing with the issue from now on and not them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

54kroc wrote: »
    Well no repair man called to us today.
    I called the store and said the machines should either be repaired, replaced or refunded and was told that they will not be replacing or refunding the machines, they told us that the manufacture will be dealing with the issue from now on and not them.
    The store is obliged by law to deal with you and also to provide redress in the form of a repair, replacement or refund!

You have given them the opportunity to effect a repair and this has failed so you are now reasonably entitled to reject a further attempt and go for a replacement or refund.

You should probably write a formal letter to the store manager asking for a replacement or refund as under the sale of goods act the goods are not fit for purpose. give them ten days to respond and if they don't or their response is not satisfactory you can then take action through the small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

The store is legally obliged to deal with you. Your contract is with the store, not the manufacturer.

A repair has not proven permanent, so your other options are replacement or refund under the three Rs. If they aren't willing to do this, I'd send a letter by registered post, giving them ten days to rectify the situation to your satisfaction, or you will be going to the SCC. If that doesn't work, initiate proceedings with the SCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    The store is legally obliged to deal with you. Your contract is with the store, not the manufacturer.

A repair has not proven permanent, so your other options are replacement or refund under the three Rs. If they aren't willing to do this, I'd send a letter by registered post, giving them ten days to rectify the situation to your satisfaction, or you will be going to the SCC. If that doesn't work, initiate proceedings with the SCC.

Absolutely no reason the retailer can't rely on the manufacturer for servicing and repairs. That said if the first / second repair isn't permanent its the retailer you take to the SmCC - which I suggest you do if you don't get any joy OP.

• Advertisement

Absolutely no reason the retailer can't rely on the manufacturer for servicing and repairs. That said if the first / second repair isn't permanent its the retailer you take to the SmCC - which I suggest you do if you don't get any joy OP.
    If the manufacturer chooses to take control of the replacement that is ok but the customer is not obliged to deal with the manufacturer and can insist on only dealing with the retailer who would then deal with the manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you be more specific on the nature of the faults ? Odd that 2 new appliances should both go faulty so soon after installation. Is it possible they were installed incorrectly ? Who installed them ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Can you be more specific on the nature of the faults ? Odd that 2 new appliances should both go faulty so soon after installation. Is it possible they were installed incorrectly ? Who installed them ?

Ken

It's odd alright, The problem is with the Hob and Dishwasher.

The Hob works intermittently, it will randomly turn itself off while using it, other times it will only work if the timer is on as well.
    It's an induction hob and it's able to automatically sense when a pan is on it and it's size, I was told the problem was with that part of it.

The Dishwasher stays on for at least nine hours no matter what program it's set to, sometimes it doesn't finish at all.

They're both Bosch appliances as well which I thought were a pretty good brand.
    The kitchen fitter installed them and the spark connected them up, It's not an installation problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No matter what the shop says or try to claim, your contract is with them and they MUST deal with you directly. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Your statutory rights say this and if they try to contradict this then you should contact the NCA.

Might be worth checking that the water pipes to the dish washer aren't kinked, can easily happen when they are pushed into place. Also check that the waste outlet is high enough above the outlet pipe, if the the washer doesn't detect it's empty it may throw a fault on it's display. Is it doing that by the way ?

As for the hob be sure to read the operating instructions as to size of utensils and what they are made of.

Not doubting they are faulty but sometimes it can simply be down to how they are used ! The shop could charge you for a call out if they find you are not using them as per the operating instructions.

Hope you get satisfaction.

Ken

You should also check the outlet pipe from the Dishwasher where it connects into your undersink pipes, there is usually a connection with a blank plug for connecting these appliance hoses and if the installer did not remove that plug/blank it would stop the dishwasher from draining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As above... check the pipes with the dishwasher.

In regards to the hob, have you got the right pots/pans? Induction hobs need to be used in conjunction with a ferromagnetic metal to work correctly. Some pots work and some work intermittently and others wont work at all.

Everything installation wise has been checked and rechecked.
    The pots and pans are specifically for an induction hob and came from Bosch.

Well guys cheers for the advice, It's amazing the difference the registered letter made.
    We had a new dishwasher and hob delivered to the house this morning by by Bosch.

Again thanks for the help.

Advertisement