Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to move to...Work in Little Island

Options
  • 09-11-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

My partner has started work out in little island and we are planning on moving to cork in the coming weeks.

Looking for info from some cork natives on where is the best place to live? Somewhere that is close enough to little island or a ten, fifteen minute drive to work for him.

Basically looking for somewhere quiet, safe and suitable for a young family with a baby :-)

Thinking of Glanmire or carrigtwohill. Anywhere else I should be checking out on daft? Willing to pay about 800.

Any info appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Glanmire, ballyvolane, Mayfield, douglas, blackrock. All grand places. I'd prefer to stay closer to the city than carrigtwohill.

Little island is very accessible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Glanmire and carrigtwohill are both nice. Really nice playground in carrigtwohill and you can walk to everything... Shops, train station etc.

Glanmire is nice too, hillier. More of a leafy suburb than a town.

Glounthaune might suit you. Quiet, nice area. Smaller than carrigtwohill, more of a villiage than glanmire. Big houses with gardens for your money there. The primary school has a good reputation if you are staying long enough to put the kids into school.

Midleton might also suit. Further east, but a much larger town.

I would defo stay to the east of the tunnel if I was heading to little island. That dunkettle roundabout can be a right dose evenings and morning.

Edit... Actually, bog all for your budget in glunthaune at the moment, rentals are thin on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If your looking for a house I'd say stick with Little Island or Carrigtwohill, for €800 a month the choice of houses in Glanmire wouldn't be the nicest and I'd seriously doubt you'd get anything in Glounthaune for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Ballyvolane or Silversprings are not too far from Little Island nice areas with plenty of amenities nothing against Carrigtwohill and the island but these areas are much closer to the city and still only a 10 minute drive

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Midleton would also be my suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Here you are OP,Ye're own private estate(house in Fota estate)
    Its only about 10/15 min drive from Little Island.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1256217

Offer them €800 for it and they wont refuse.
    There is a train station in Fota and Little Island so the missus could use the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

another vote for Midleton. lots here, train to town. Nice short drive to Little Island and easy to get into the city when you want to.

Glounthaune is lovely, but there's very little actually there. One shop, one pub one restaurant sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, I'd go for Midleton too. Nice town, shopping and cinema etc., great farmers market on Saturday morning. Only 15 minutes to LI and 30 into Cork.

That road (N25) is full of muppets in the mornings though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ballyvolane would get my vote. Dunne's and Lidl in the area. Aldi either at Mayfield or Blackpool, both of which a short drive away. Good schools close by. Dead easy to get to Little Island. Takes only 10 minutes.

Plenty of nice houses for rent too.

Close to town too. 207 takes you right there and is a fairly reliable (if slow) service. You can walk to town in 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

pwurple wrote: »
    Glanmire and carrigtwohill are both nice. Really nice playground in carrigtwohill and you can walk to everything... Shops, train station etc.

Glanmire is nice too, hillier. More of a leafy suburb than a town.

Glounthaune might suit you. Quiet, nice area. Smaller than carrigtwohill, more of a villiage than glanmire. Big houses with gardens for your money there. The primary school has a good reputation if you are staying long enough to put the kids into school.

Midleton might also suit. Further east, but a much larger town.

I would defo stay to the east of the tunnel if I was heading to little island. That dunkettle roundabout can be a right dose evenings and morning.

Edit... Actually, bog all for your budget in glunthaune at the moment, rentals are thin on the ground.

Thanks for the great info. Don't drive myself so great to know the train service runs to the city. Totally lost when it comes to sense of direction. Is glanmire east of the tunnel?

How long do u reckon it would take for my partner to drive to work for an 8 o clock shift in the morning from Glanmire? Would traffic be an issue. Carrigtwohill sounds great too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Here you are OP,Ye're own private estate(house in Fota estate)
    Its only about 10/15 min drive from Little Island.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1256217

Offer them €800 for it and they wont refuse.
    There is a train station in Fota and Little Island so the missus could use the train.
    Thanks for the reply. I am the missus! Haha. Fota isn't an option. Have two doggies so need a garden I'm afraid. Thanks for the help though.

Advertisement