Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publishing one copy of book

Options
  • 09-11-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hi all (or few)

I hope this is the right forum for this.

My girlfriend has completed an MA in Creative Writing this year and her thesis is poetry based. Obviously I'm very proud and she knows this, but I want to go one step further. Would anyone think it's a good idea to have her work put in to a hardback book to keep forever? She has copies of her thesis bounded etc, but none in book format. Would those with experience appreciate this?

Obviously this leads to my next question. Does anyone know how to go about this? What companies to use, online resources etc? Any problems with copyright?

It will be for Christmas and I'm pretty confident it's something that will be loved.

Thoughts much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The online print-on-demand publisher Lulu.com sounds exactly what you want. No copyright issues that I can think of, and I doubt Lulu examines stuff put on their site anyway.

With Lulu you upload a pdf, can design a colour cover, and print in various sizes and bindings, including hardback.

Two or three Christmasses ago I made a visual book for my girlfriend based on quotes by the American author Kurt Vonnegut, and got it printed with Lulu. It came out really really nice. I've since used Lulu for some society magazines in college, and the Irish Undergraduate Mathematical Magazine I'm involved with is printed with Lulu. All the stuff comes out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

this looks really great, thank you. Delivery wise is it okay? Obviously a bit of time but I'd like to get it before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

If you can get your order submitted in the first days of December it should definitely arrive on time. I think it's usually about 2 weeks from order submission to arriving at your door.

Advertisement