Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move towns to buy cheap house?

• 09-11-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I recently saw a really cheap fully furnished house. I have the money to almost pay for it full. But the issue is it's 40 mins away in another town. Where I don't know anybody and it will mean taking my son out of school and transferring to the new school if we buy.. I don't fancy the daily commute if I was to leave my child in current school.
    Question is do you think it's worth moving to a town where you know nobody as a single parent? The fact I can afford it is exciting, but the million dollar question will I be happy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check the facilities, flooding, rate of crime, etc; basically check is there a reason why it's cheap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Whilst a social network can be built up anywhere, through joining clubs etc, it is much harder as a single parent when you don't have babysitters or chilcare available.

The commute will eat into disposable income also , not to mention the exhaustion.

Personally I wouldn't, the quality of life payout is just too high.

If you have sufficient savings to buy somewhere outright, you could be a good candidate for a mortgage somewhere close to work and your support network.

Advertisement