Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTA:The music!

• 09-11-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭

It was easy in previous GTA games to capture the feel of a game by the soundtrack. The 80s and 90s feel of both Vice City and San Andreas were there as they both feature songs from their era.

I don't buy into that. My favourite radio station from any GTA is K-DST from SA and that was nearly all classic rock from the 70s. The only GTA where the soundtrack really helped set the era was Vice City

Comments

Arm in Arm is one song from IV I really liked (I think it was used in one of the trailers, too).

Very catchy, in my opinion

Another song I like, but not necessarily through choice, is "& Down" by Boys Noise (it was always on the radio when I did multiplayer racing, and as such, has gotten stuck in my head now).
    The option to carry an ipod or mp3 player around with you to play the radio or your own custom soundtrack would show evolution on the developers part.

That was just someone here that said that. I don't think there are actual MP3 players in the game.

To be honest, I wouldn't really want them in it. Music is good when driving, but if it's continuous music non-stop then I think it kinda kills a little bit of the atmosphere of the game?

One thing I didn't like about IV was the car engine noises (or lack thereof). If they're putting sporty motors in this game, you should be able to hear them rumble when they're stopped at lights and hear them roaring when you rev hard, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Also very catchy.

Wonder what music will feature in the next trailer (ie; i wonder what unknown random track that's been out years but no one listens to will be placed near the top of my "now listening to" list within 24 hours of the trailer release!)?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

"All my ex's live in Texas"

Hogzy wrote: »

Hahaha was just thinking of that earlier :P

• Advertisement

"Men folk found their women scary, cos they were so big and hairy"

Anyone remember that one? :P

EDIT: On Youtube (didn't think I'd find it!)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Vladivostok FM was quite good. Electro Choc FM likewise to a lesser extent as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Hogzy wrote: »

Texas is the place that I/where I love to be

ahhh you've brought it back hogzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

(ie; i wonder what unknown random track that's been out years but no one listens to will be placed near the top of my "now listening to" list within 24 hours of the trailer release!)?

:pac:

Wha? Small Faces are very well known.

This is the definitive GTA OST song for me:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

"I dont care if your hair's green, youre missing fingers or you love men!"

that line alone was the reason i listened to k-dst, tommy the nightmare smith was legendary!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"THIS IS THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................THIS IS NOOOOOT A TEST OF FAITH!................ "

Whoever wrote that song that featured in GTA IV should be shot dead. Horrible "song".

Hellraiser FTW :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Listening to K-Rose while travelling was the business!!!

Johnny!! Please come home....

Mississippi Man Louisiana Woman

I love a rainy night <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

K-DST, Freebird, out in desert taking on fighter jets above Area 51 in a crappy plane with machine guns. Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Radio X with Sage was the best they've done. Lazlow was better in III and VC but had less material too which is why he doesnt get the first place on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Moved music/soundtrack talk out of V thread and to here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Everytime of think of some of the stations from the games i cry a little.Good,good times

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Procyon

One of the best songs in SA was Eminence Front. I'd never heard it before I played the game.

The great thing about SA and VC in particular was discovering new songs, something that IV lacked due to the inferior soundtrack (IMO). Anyway another song from SA i came to like:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

This is the only track from IV that stuck out to me

And this from TBoGT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've decided to do a post for each of the games (well, SA, VC and IV anyway).

I loved some of the hip-hop stuff from SA. Really set the scene and captured the whole mood of the era for me as a 12 year old pasty white Irish kid. :pac:

Slick Rick - Children's Story (PLAYBACK FM)
    Definitely my favourite from Playback.

Compton's Most Wanted - Hood Took Me Under (RADIO LOS SANTOS)
    This is probably one of my favourite tracks in the game. Remember learning the entire lyrics to it and cruising around Ganton in a modded out low-rider with a few GSF lads in the back before heading off to Idlewood to take out some Ballas.

Dr. Dre (feat. Snoop Dogg) - Nuthin' But a G Thang (RADIO LOS SANTOS)
    Another one of the tracks for cruising around Ganton and its surrounding areas. Used to love dancing to this on dates with Denise.

I could easily fill this post with just RLS, but I'll move on. :)

Eddie Money - Two Tickets to Paradise (K-DST)
    Anyone who's seen me post in this forum probably knows I hated the planes with a blinding fury in SA, well this song was the only thing that kept me sane at times while failing pilot school.

Rod Stewart - Young Turks (K-DST)
    SA introduced me to Stewart. :o

L7 - Pretend We're Dead (RADIO X)
    Ah Sage... not gonna lie, I had a mini crush on her due to her voice alone. :)
    This song, and Radio X in general just stuck in my mind. Used to love driving around Downtown LS in a sports car listening to this.

Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing (RADIO X)
    Same as the above really. I really think my love of alt-rock stems from SA and Radio X. :)

I could go on to link every song on K-Rose, as well as numerous other songs, but this post is getting long as it is! I'll finish with one K-Rose song and one of my favourite ads from the radio...

Eddie Rabbitt - I Love a Rainy Night (K-Rose)
    Loved driving around the countryside in a Rancher, blasting this out!

Proposition 421 Advert

I know a lot of people say VC has the best soundtrack, but at times I tend to think SA was better simply because it had such a variety. I mean, I haven't even posted stuff from SF-UR, Bounce FM or CSR here, simply because I don't remember track names of the songs I liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Dancing to this in the Malibu...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

This was my drive by theme music. when this came on the radio, a killing spree was about to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

GTA V will, according to the Guardian have a different approach to music.

"missions will now be accompanied by an interactive score rather than radio play. "We though could do something interesting if we scored missions in GTA," says Houser. "Obviously we didn't want to lose radio stations, so we thought we'd do both.

"Exactly how we're going to balance between the two we're not entirely sure yet – we're still trying to figure that out. But we have some very cool people doing the score, different people, who will work in the same stem-based system that we used in the other games".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/nov/12/grand-theft-auto-v-preview-gta-5

Not sure how I feel about that, though what would be cool is if it was done in such a way that appropriate tracks for the mission happened to play on the radio at the exact time, ie, car chase would have high tempo music, whereas following somebody would have a slower more atmospheric song play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Tom Petty-Runnin Down a Dream

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    This was my drive by theme music. when this came on the radio, a killing spree was about to happen.

This was mine :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

K-Jah with "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires" by Scientist was great craic.

GTA 3 is an absolute classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Let's all agree on something, SA had the best radio stations.

Blisterman wrote: »
    GTA V will, according to the Guardian have a different approach to music.

"missions will now be accompanied by an interactive score rather than radio play. "We though could do something interesting if we scored missions in GTA," says Houser. "Obviously we didn't want to lose radio stations, so we thought we'd do both.

"Exactly how we're going to balance between the two we're not entirely sure yet – we're still trying to figure that out. But we have some very cool people doing the score, different people, who will work in the same stem-based system that we used in the other games".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/nov/12/grand-theft-auto-v-preview-gta-5

Not sure how I feel about that, though what would be cool is if it was done in such a way that appropriate tracks for the mission happened to play on the radio at the exact time, ie, car chase would have high tempo music, whereas following somebody would have a slower more atmospheric song play.

They kind of did something like that in Mafia 2. The first mission of 1951 when driving with Joe and Eddie, as soon as everyone gets back into the car Dean Martin's Return to Me starts playing. This results in the radio controls becoming disabled until the song finishes.

Anyway another memorable song from San Andreas........

• Advertisement

One of my favorite GTA songs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Used to love taking the jet and fly into the sunset listening to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Used to love these two from GTA IV.

And this also

But still think Vice city had the best music of all time!!

ALL TIME!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭recyclops

the grand theft auto android music app is tremendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

• Advertisement
Advertisement