Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated failure of parts

Options
  • 09-11-2012 10:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

I had a heat pump installed 7 years ago. there was a 5 year warranty with it. 4 years into the warranty, a major component failed. It was replaced under warranty. Three years later, that same component has failed again. I rang the distributor and they said that they cannot guarantee the replacement part indefinately and that I will need to pay for the new part which costs €1,500 fitted and this "new" part will have a new 5 year guarantee.

This sound like a cop out to me. Surely the second replacement also had a 5 year guarantee that should be honoured.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, when you have repeated failure of a part, of ANYTHING you buy under warranty , after three times you are entitled to a whole new system or a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A five-year warranty means just that: you are covered for five years from the date of original purchase.

It would be difficult to convince a court that failure after a total of seven years justifies a free repair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 brianbaru

A five-year warranty means just that: you are covered for five years from the date of original purchase.

It would be difficult to convince a court that failure after a total of seven years justifies a free repair.

I understand that. But if you buy a car and a major component fails during the time of warranty, you are entitled to have that part replaced. If the exact same component keeps failing again and again making the product useless, surely they either have to keep replacing the badly made component or offer you a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It would be impossible under the statute of limitations. Well unless the other side didn't raise it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 brianbaru

Well, it's actually two failures in 7 years and for a part that has a 5 year guarantee, it seems to me like it's a badly made part if it's packing in every 3 and a half years.

Advertisement