Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights regarding parts and warranty

Options
  • 09-11-2012 10:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

I had a heat pump installed 7 years ago. there was a 5 year warranty with it. 4 years into the warranty, a major component failed. It was replaced under warranty. Three years later, that same component has failed again. I rang the distributor and they said that they cannot keep replacing the defective parts indefinitely and that I will need to pay for the new part which costs €1,500 fitted and i'm assured, the part I pay for will have a new 5 year guarantee.

This sound like a cop out to me. Surely the second replacement also had a 5 year guarantee that should be honoured and after a number of failures, you are entitled to a refund or replacement?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's not a cop out. The key thing is that you didn't pay for the replacement part, it was supplied under the original warranty so you are not entitled to a new five year warranty covering that part starting on the day it was installed. The supplier has honoured the five year warranty, he is right in that you can't keep coming back for more parts once the original warranty expires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 brianbaru

coylemj wrote: »
    It's not a cop out. The key thing is that you didn't pay for the replacement part, it was supplied under the original warranty so you are not entitled to a new five year warranty covering that part starting on the day it was installed. The supplier has honoured the five year warranty, he is right in that you can't keep coming back for more parts once the original warranty expires.

Does that mean, if I buy a car on monday, a major part fails on tuesday, they replace it on wednesday, it fails agin on thursday...tough luck?

Surely, any new part fitted has a new warranty?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

brianbaru wrote: »
    Does that mean, if I buy a car on monday, a major part fails on tuesday, they replace it on wednesday, it fails agin on thursday...tough luck?

My understanding is that it is the period of the warranty that is relevant, not the parts themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

brianbaru wrote: »

Let's just remind ourselves of your experience...
    1. You purchased a product
    2. A component failed
    3. The supplier replaced the component for no charge under the warranty
    4. The warranty expired

so please don't quote an extreme case like you did which bears no resemblance to your experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If you analyse this as I believe it should be:

You bought X, X failed and was repaired - that repair lasted a number of years, at least until any further claims on X was statue barred.

I think you're on a hiding to nothing here. Buy a new pump and use a different supplier. Let me know who the supplier of the one you're complaining about would you please - in case I ever need a new pump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement