Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a mobile with Vodafone and "switching" number

Options
  • 09-11-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Bit if a cheeky one but have a question.....I'm buying my husband a new mobile for Christmas and we are both with Vodafone.
    I seen on another thread a suggestion of bringing a sim card from another provider with me wen buying the phone and saying I want to switch his number over and Ill get €20 off price of phone for switching number to Vodafone.....that's all great :-) However I know when I give him the phone Christmas morn, he will need to keep his existing number (for work purposes) SO can he then just insert his current sim and use it??
    Il have got the €20 off wen buying (dont care about the free call credit you also get when switching which I know will be allocated to SIM) or will the phone be "locked" to the new number.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭moffit

Bit if a cheeky one but have a question.....I'm buying my husband a new mobile for Christmas and we are both with Vodafone.
    I seen on another thread a suggestion of bringing a sim card from another provider with me wen buying the phone and saying I want to switch his number over and Ill get €20 off price of phone for switching number to Vodafone.....that's all great :-) However I know when I give him the phone Christmas morn, he will need to keep his existing number (for work purposes) SO can he then just insert his current sim and use it??
    Il have got the €20 off wen buying (dont care about the free call credit you also get when switching which I know will be allocated to SIM) or will the phone be "locked" to the new number.

His old Vodafone sim will work in the new phone. Phones aren't locked to specific numbers, they're locked to networks. Just go into metor and ask for a free sim and put it into an unlocked phone. It needs to go into an unlocked phone so that the sim works, and Vodafone will need the meteor sim turned on so that they can mess around with it.

If you dont want to go to a shop, you can do it all online.

1) Order sim off meteor.ie
    2) Insert it into any unlocked phone when you receive it
    3) Go to vodafone.ie and pick whatever phone you want to buy
    4) Follow their procedure
    5) You click "not a VF customer"
    6) Enter number of meteor sim so they can text to verify you own it
    7) Receive text with a code, enter code online and job done, 20 quid saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭angel_wings

Much appreciated :)

Advertisement