Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Manager Jim McGuinness joining Celtic

• 09-11-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I know this is already being discussed in the Celtic thread but I'd like to hear other soccer fans' view of this appointment.

Personally I think the man is immense and players that play for him speak incredibly highly of him (bar one high profile incident). He's highly educated, motivated and (so far) successful.

As a Celtic fan I think it's a fantastic signing, what he did with Donegal was staggering.

His job at Celtic will be primarily to work with the younger players helping them bridge the gap from youth team to first team. However, there's already a feeling amongst some fans that he'll be working with the first team from the outset given the remuneration package seems to be way above what would've considered normal.

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=3333

Jim said:

"Obviously I work in amateur sport and the opportunity to work in professional sport in any capacity is a wonderful chance for me and one I´m very looking forward to. My role will be based on developing the younger players in the club, development and Academy players that are U20 and that level.

"It´s really about trying to work on every single one of the players on an individual level, trying to develop them in several areas, something I have experienced often in the past.

"You are really looking to create a finished product that is good enough to be pushing for the first team and creating a stronger squad at the club.

"We will hopefully look at every single player as an individual project and move them forward as best we can. We will revaluate every couple of months and try and move them forward and give them the best opportunity to develop and grow within the club so they can put their best foot forward in making the ultimate step up to first-team football."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm not sure about these kinds of appointments. Gaelic Football is a completely different prospect to soccer. Clive Woodward did something similar a few years ago at Southampton and it didn't pan out. Let's see how it goes first, before proclaiming it to be a "fantastic signing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'm not sure about these kinds of appointments. Gaelic Football is a completely different prospect to soccer. Clive Woodward did something similar a few years ago at Southampton and it didn't pan out. Let's see how it goes first, before proclaiming it to be a "fantastic signing".

It's only my opinion mate! No more or less valid than anyone else's... but I think it's going to wrk great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

His background in Sports Psychology - and he's worked within football (at Finn Harps i believe) and in other sports outwith Gaelic too.

I've also got a certain cynicism to it, but i won't go down that road tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thought it was a stunt a first to be honest. Good for him though for getting the deal.

Although I would wait and see before I make see a judgement on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely he couldn't have been successful at the Harps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Big jump from the amateur GAA to the world of professional football

It's only my opinion mate! No more or less valid than anyone else's... but I think it's going to wrk great.

I'm not really saying that your opinion isn't valid. I just think that it's hard to really quantify either way whether it'll be good or bad. I'd be skeptical if it were my team doing this and I'd reserve my judgement until I had some information to work with. Glad you are confident, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Big jump from the amateur GAA to the world of professional football

Not really people are people whatever the job.

St pats sports scientists reckon this lad is some sort of Messiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

He won't be involved in coaching at any level as he doesn't hold any coaching badges, his job will be as a sports psychologist primarily helping young players in the academy deal.

I'm not sure it compares to Clive Woodwards time at Southampton.

Obviously that's no guarantee that this will pay dividends so I agree it's not a fantastic signing but it's also not a risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Its just an appointment, its only a big deal because the guy is current and won an all-Ireland. Really a non story.

• Advertisement

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Its just an appointment, its only a big deal because the guy is current and won an all-Ireland. Really a non story.

No its not a non story.

A sports scientist is being hired be Celtic who are a great irish club.

Dunno who you support but your club has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

dreamers75 wrote: »

No its not a non story.

A sports scientist is being hired be Celtic who are a great irish club.

Dunno who you support but your club has one.
    I think you may find they are a Scottish club they have never been registered in Ireland only in Scotland ;)

RoryMac wrote: »
    He won't be involved in coaching at any level as he doesn't hold any coaching badges, his job will be as a sports psychologist primarily helping young players in the academy deal.

I'm not sure it compares to Clive Woodwards time at Southampton.

Obviously that's no guarantee that this will pay dividends so I agree it's not a fantastic signing but it's also not a risk.

This is a fair point, it's a different role to Woodward's.

EdenHazard wrote: »

Oh it's a story alright - it's a ridiculously good piece of PR for Celtic to pacify a certain section of their customer base.
    ;)

Eirebear wrote: »
    Oh it's a story alright - it's a ridiculously good piece of PR for Celtic to pacify a certain section of their customer base.
    ;)

This guy is meant to be very good at what he does.

@broxi .....lol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've listened to the man and been hugely impressed by him when he does open up to the media. I can only imagine he will inspire people around him no matter where he is, he just has that about him.

It doesn't matter the sport with what he is at, he is not directly involved with how the team plays. He is being hired in a role to focus young players and show them how to improve themselves and strengthen them mentally.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've listened to the man and been hugely impressed by him when he does open up to the media. I can only imagine he will inspire people around him no matter where he is, he just has that about him.

It doesn't matter the sport with what he is at, he is not directly involved with how the team plays. He is being hired in a role to focus young players and show them how to improve themselves and strengthen them mentally.

stop talking sense!!!!!

dreamers75 wrote: »
    This guy is meant to be very good at what he does.

@broxi .....lol ;)

I have no doubt he is good at what he does, i actually think it's a very shrewd move - i just wonder if signing a sports psychologist who is only being employed to work with the youths would have been given the PR treatment it has from the club if it wasn't for his background?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I have no doubt he is good at what he does, i actually think it's a very shrewd move - i just wonder if signing a sports psychologist who is only being employed to work with the youths would have been given the PR treatment it has from the club if it wasn't for his background?
    I'm not sure Celtic are the ones giving this giving this the PR treatment, it's big news in Ireland but from what I've heard not so much in Scotland.

The rumours have been around in GAA circles for a while now but apart from a statement today confirming his signing I haven't seen any push from Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

His background in Sports Psychology - and he's worked within football (at Finn Harps i believe) and in other sports outwith Gaelic too.

I've also got a certain cynicism to it, but i won't go down that road tonight.
    No more cynical than fundraisers against Linfield.;)

I'm actually sceptical about the usefulness of sports psychologists in general. Take undue amount of credit when you win but when you lose there's usually a more important reason - namely the players weren't good enough (skill or fitness wise)

Luckily he won't be involved in any sort of technical or tactical training, I mean imagine a Celtic team playing like Donegal - all players behind the ball, giving their opponents space up to the final third, pushing them out to the flanks to cross/shoot....oh wait...

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    No more cynical than fundraisers against Linfield.;l .

You'll get no argument from me there man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Celtic seem to have good u19's sides for the past several years but few can make the step up. Celtic have changed how they develop players coming through the academy in recent years and there are a few highly rated kids coming into the u19's off the back of that but the inability of the club to get good consistent yields from their own academy remains a problem. One good player every 3-4 years isnt a great return considering the investments made & development costs per player coming through, whether they fail or succeed.

I firmly believe that James Forrest would have rotted in the u19's & development squad only for Lennon. When Mowbray banished Lennon to looking after the development squad I think Lennon quickly saw alot of players that needed more belief/trust placed in them to make the step up and patience whilst they make the transition and he didnt forget that when he got the top job. Alot of people didnt have much time for Charlie Mulgrew when he was re-signed, a once promising Celtic youth that 'fizzled' and he has gone from strength to strength under Lennon. He won every individual award worth talking about in Scottish Football last season. Its clear that Lennon and his backroom team can spot talent and develop it, e.g. Hooper, Wanyama, Matthews, Forster, Watt etc. He even got consistency out of Samaras, something I never thought possible tbh.

I think McGuinness can be a useful addition to the backroom staff at Celtic. As Lennon said, they dont have anyone with his background at the club. Lennon is a great motivator himself but he cant micro manage every player at the club, maybe he thinks by bringing in someone with a good track record of motivating players in sport it can leave him with more time with the first team. If McGuinness can identify an underlying trend/mentality trait in the underage squad that he can remedy and maybe improve the success rate to one good player every 1-2 years then the investment of 50k p/a will pay huge dividends for Celtic in a variety of ways. Lennon said that McGuinness's role isnt restricted to the youth squads but I suspect his services will only be called upon for senior squad players that are having problems with long term injuries, confidence & form. I like the fact that Lennon is leaving no stone unturned in trying to find a solution to what can be considered a long standing problem, something that Strachan & O' Neill just left to Tommy Burns to sort out and just bought overpriced squad players instead of giving a kid a proper chance.

Advertisement